Dress Code Question

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Care to expand on this? Which course has a ridiculous code to play golf? I'll except knee high socks with shorts as still a given at many and is stupid but what else?

Other than the sock rule, I can't recall anywhere that has stupid dress codes to actually play golf.

Not going to answer for him but aren't there still clubs that require jacket/tie for lunch? Imagine playing 36 there one day

Many might see that as ridiculous to play golf at said course

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From ours and I fail to see how this stops people playing golf:confused:

Any clothing specifically manufactured for golf is acceptable.
The following are therefore not permitted: denims, football/rugby
tops, combat style trousers/shorts. Tailored shorts are permitted on the course with
white socks that are above the ankle.
This was all fine until they start telling you what colour socks you can wear. Do you not find that unreasonable and petty? I cannot understand the reasoning. If you wore a nice polo, tucked into tailored shorts, and with blue socks you wouldn't be allowed to play?? That is plain daft.

Personally I don't even own a pair of white socks, all of mine are black or dark grey, so if I wanted to play your course in the current hot weather I'd have to actually go out and buy a pair of white socks!

G

guest100718

no trainers.. knee length socks. jacket and tie.. all petty stuff

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pockets on the side of shorts

I don't wear a cap indoors but I don't see why it matters if others want to

The whole sock issue is just laughable at places that enforce any form of sock rule

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I remember reading the dress code for one of the better known courses so thought I'd google it again

Got two main results
One is the dress code for a course in St Andrews and the other is the dress code for a course called St Andrews

Quite a difference :D

Dress Code1:
Golfers should wear attire appropriate to the sport and clothing should not be scruffy or torn. The dress code in the clubhouses is smart/casual.

Dress Code2:
Golf Club Dress Code
The following rules concerning the golf club dress code are applicable to all Members, spouses, children and guests of
1. The following attire is not permitted at anytime: (a) denim of any type or color (except on Fridays - see jeans/denim policy below); (b) work out clothes of any kind, including but not limited to, sweat pants and shirts; (c) sports jerseys, including but not limited to, basketball or football jerseys; (d) basketball shorts, gym shorts, or other athletic or work out shorts; (e) men’s shirts without collars (turtlenecks and shirts of a style sold in the pro shop are permitted); and, (f) golf shorts more than four inches above the knee.
2. Slacks or shorts (no more than four (4) inches above the knee), collared shirts or turtlenecks (including mock turtlenecks) and golf shoes are required on the Course. Shirts must be tucked in at all times. In general, everyone on the Course is expected to dress in a neat and appropriate manner. Sloppy or untidy attire is not permitted.

Edited to remove even more rules re dining

6. On weekday evenings in the main dining room, men shall wear long pants and collared shirts. Women shall wear attire consistent with that acceptable on the golf course, except that no shorts are permitted. The John Reid room and Deck shall be made available for all Members and their guests that prefer more casual dining on weekday evenings.
7. Children over the age of five years old shall wear collared shirts and clothes that would be acceptable on the golf course. Children over the age of sixteen are expected to abide by the full dress code.
8. The dress code applies to all Members and to their guests. Members are responsible for insuring that their guests comply with this dress code.
9. Men are not permitted to wear hats in the John Reid Room or Dining Room.
10. Cell phones are permitted only in the parking lot, in the locker rooms, on the patio outside the John Reid Room and in the out-of-bounds areas of the golf course. While limited use of cell phones and electronic devices is permitted in these designated areas, their use is discouraged in consideration of others.

Jeans and Denim Policy - Fridays Only
Policy Details:
Effective immediately, the wearing of jeans and denim is permitted as follows:
1) On Fridays only, conforming jeans/denim (see definition below) may be worn by Club Members, families and guests at any time of day, as follows:
• In the locker rooms, the John Reid Room, on the covered and uncovered areas of the deck, in the Pro Shop and administrative offices, and in the lounge of the Apple Tree Learning Center.
• Upon arrival to or departure from the Club. Anyone planning to play golf or make use of an area that does not allow conforming jeans/denim should promptly change into conforming attire.
2) Jeans/denim of any kind, whether or not conforming, may not be worn by Club Members, families and guests, as follows:
• On all days other than Fridays.
• Anywhere on the golf course or related facilities, including all practice areas, putting greens and in the hitting bays/putting studio of the Apple Tree Learning Center.
• In the main Dining Room or President’s Room.
• When using exercise equipment in the Fitness Center.
• At any other time or place as may be determined by the Board of Governors, e.g., for special Club meetings, events and ceremonies.
3) “Conforming jeans/denim” are defined as any article of jeans/denim that otherwise satisfies the Club’s published dress code, except for any article of jeans/denim that:
• Is excessively worn, distressed and/or acid-washed;
• Is ripped or torn, including but not limited to “cut-off” style shorts;
• Is excessively baggy and/or low-slung;
• Features exterior pockets in the style of “cargo” pants or shorts;

The above restrictions and limitations apply to all jeans/denim, regardless of designer or brand.
4) Members and adults are responsible for ensuring compliance with the Club’s dress code by their guests and children, respectively.
5) For Club reciprocal facilities dress codes and any restrictions on attire will be as specified by the reciprocal entity.
6) Jeans/denim of any kind, whether or not conforming, may not be worn by Club employees or caddies at any time.
The above policy has been adopted by the Board of Governors on a trial basis for 2016, during which time the policy will be monitored and reviewed, and Member feedback will be considered. The Board reserves the ability to modify or terminate the policy at any time.

Last edited:
G

guest100718

back in the good old days, being a member of your local club was seen as a status symbol. There was a long waiting list, you needed to be reccomended then 2nd'd, inteviews , large joining fee etc...

For a lot of clubs those days have long gone, but the powers that be struggle to grasp this fact and seem unable to apreciate that a lot of us just want to play golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyone who knows me will attest that I do have that respect. There are, however, a number of dress regulations that I struggle to understand.

A couple:

Why do shirts have to be tucked in? - more comfortable untucked in the current spell of weather.

Why does the length of a sock have to be specified?

Such petty rules are ripe for ridicule.

At my place shirts have to be tucked in because after a trial period that is what the members voted for - the majority thought it looked untidy,. In the clubhouse shirts can be untucked - and clean and tidy jeans and trainers worn.

Our sock length rule has gone. Even trainer socks are accepted even although they don't really conform to the ankle length code. But as our pro shop sells them - and the members own the shop - we can hardly be stopped :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
back in the good old days, being a member of your local club was seen as a status symbol. There was a long waiting list, you needed to be reccomended then 2nd'd, inteviews , large joining fee etc...

For a lot of clubs those days have long gone, but the powers that be struggle to grasp this fact and seem unable to apreciate that a lot of us just want to play golf.
"Good old days" :lol: That sounds awful. Golf has done well to shake off that horrible elitist attitude in most places I think.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember reading the dress code for one of the better known courses so thought I'd google it again

Got two main results
One is the dress code for a course in St Andrews and the other is the dress code for a course called St Andrews

Quite a difference :D

Dress Code1:
Golfers should wear attire appropriate to the sport and clothing should not be scruffy or torn. The dress code in the clubhouses is smart/casual.

Dress Code2:
Golf Club Dress Code
The following rules concerning the golf club dress code are applicable to all Members, spouses, children and guests of
1. The following attire is not permitted at anytime: (a) denim of any type or color (except on Fridays - see jeans/denim policy below); (b) work out clothes of any kind, including but not limited to, sweat pants and shirts; (c) sports jerseys, including but not limited to, basketball or football jerseys; (d) basketball shorts, gym shorts, or other athletic or work out shorts; (e) men’s shirts without collars (turtlenecks and shirts of a style sold in the pro shop are permitted); and, (f) golf shorts more than four inches above the knee.
2. Slacks or shorts (no more than four (4) inches above the knee), collared shirts or turtlenecks (including mock turtlenecks) and golf shoes are required on the Course. Shirts must be tucked in at all times. In general, everyone on the Course is expected to dress in a neat and appropriate manner. Sloppy or untidy attire is not permitted.

Edited to remove even more rules re dining

6. On weekday evenings in the main dining room, men shall wear long pants and collared shirts. Women shall wear attire consistent with that acceptable on the golf course, except that no shorts are permitted. The John Reid room and Deck shall be made available for all Members and their guests that prefer more casual dining on weekday evenings.
7. Children over the age of five years old shall wear collared shirts and clothes that would be acceptable on the golf course. Children over the age of sixteen are expected to abide by the full dress code.
8. The dress code applies to all Members and to their guests. Members are responsible for insuring that their guests comply with this dress code.
9. Men are not permitted to wear hats in the John Reid Room or Dining Room.
10. Cell phones are permitted only in the parking lot, in the locker rooms, on the patio outside the John Reid Room and in the out-of-bounds areas of the golf course. While limited use of cell phones and electronic devices is permitted in these designated areas, their use is discouraged in consideration of others.

Jeans and Denim Policy - Fridays Only
Policy Details:
Effective immediately, the wearing of jeans and denim is permitted as follows:
1) On Fridays only, conforming jeans/denim (see definition below) may be worn by Club Members, families and guests at any time of day, as follows:
• In the locker rooms, the John Reid Room, on the covered and uncovered areas of the deck, in the Pro Shop and administrative offices, and in the lounge of the Apple Tree Learning Center.
• Upon arrival to or departure from the Club. Anyone planning to play golf or make use of an area that does not allow conforming jeans/denim should promptly change into conforming attire.
2) Jeans/denim of any kind, whether or not conforming, may not be worn by Club Members, families and guests, as follows:
• On all days other than Fridays.
• Anywhere on the golf course or related facilities, including all practice areas, putting greens and in the hitting bays/putting studio of the Apple Tree Learning Center.
• In the main Dining Room or President’s Room.
• When using exercise equipment in the Fitness Center.
• At any other time or place as may be determined by the Board of Governors, e.g., for special Club meetings, events and ceremonies.
3) “Conforming jeans/denim” are defined as any article of jeans/denim that otherwise satisfies the Club’s published dress code, except for any article of jeans/denim that:
• Is excessively worn, distressed and/or acid-washed;
• Is ripped or torn, including but not limited to “cut-off” style shorts;
• Is excessively baggy and/or low-slung;
• Features exterior pockets in the style of “cargo” pants or shorts;

The above restrictions and limitations apply to all jeans/denim, regardless of designer or brand.
4) Members and adults are responsible for ensuring compliance with the Club’s dress code by their guests and children, respectively.
5) For Club reciprocal facilities dress codes and any restrictions on attire will be as specified by the reciprocal entity.
6) Jeans/denim of any kind, whether or not conforming, may not be worn by Club employees or caddies at any time.
The above policy has been adopted by the Board of Governors on a trial basis for 2016, during which time the policy will be monitored and reviewed, and Member feedback will be considered. The Board reserves the ability to modify or terminate the policy at any time.

Dear God!!! That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read!! What an utter load of absolute stuff and nonsense. And people still try to argue that some golf clubs don't have stupid rules? :-D :-D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dear God!!! That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read!! What an utter load of absolute stuff and nonsense. And people still try to argue that some golf clubs don't have stupid rules? :-D :-D
They probably feel they are being liberal to hippie-like extent by allowing smart denim on Fridays. I bet some members are up in arms. :D

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whenever I see people defending out dated attire rules, I often think back to the days where golf had to played in a jacket, tie, plus 4 etc. Once upon a time, anyone not adhering to those rules were "scruffians" and "commoners" and not allowed to play golf.

One day, we'll all look back and laugh at the white knee high socks rules, and the shirts must be tucked in rule and all that.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It would appear that there are quite a few people on here who wouldn't be able to play at my club.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not going to answer for him but aren't there still clubs that require jacket/tie for lunch? Imagine playing 36 there one day

Many might see that as ridiculous to play golf at said course

Maybe you should re-read my post again. I said to actually play golf, not dine in the clubhouse.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It would appear that there are quite a few people on here who wouldn't be able to play at my club.
It would actually appear that there are quite a few people on here who have a mind of their own and can think for themselves about how to dress!

I don't recall anyone stating they would refuse to change or wear the required clothing to play golf if asked by someone in authority, so your comment is actually quite lazy.

I actually find that the true 'blue bloods' of society couldn't give a damn about what anyone wears, it's only the pretentious and 'wannabees' who try to control what others wear. They can feel it takes them to that higher level, when of course, it doesn't. There are plenty of these types at many golf clubs around the country.

To quote a well used phrase, which I think is apt here... "Live and let live"

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
At my place shirts have to be tucked in because after a trial period that is what the members voted for - the majority thought it looked untidy,. In the clubhouse shirts can be untucked - and clean and tidy jeans and trainers worn.

Our sock length rule has gone. Even trainer socks are accepted even although they don't really conform to the ankle length code. But as our pro shop sells them - and the members own the shop - we can hardly be stopped :)

The mind boggles - grown men arranging a trial period of having shirts untucked.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It would actually appear that there are quite a few people on here who have a mind of their own and can think for themselves about how to dress!

I don't recall anyone stating they would refuse to change or wear the required clothing to play golf if asked by someone in authority, so your comment is actually quite lazy.

I actually find that the true 'blue bloods' of society couldn't give a damn about what anyone wears, it's only the pretentious and 'wannabees' who try to control what others wear. They can feel it takes them to that higher level, when of course, it doesn't. There are plenty of these types at many golf clubs around the country.

To quote a well used phrase, which I think is apt here... "Live and let live"

There are actually plenty of people that have remarked on various dress code threads that they would not play at certain clubs due to the dress code.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are actually plenty of people that have remarked on various dress code threads that they would not play at certain clubs due to the dress code.
That's not what you said the first time though, you said "wouldn't be able to". Which is false - if I or anyone else very much wanted to play your club, we are more than capable of tucking a shirt in and wearing a top hat and monocle, or whatever else is required.

You are partially correct though, I would be a little put off playing a club that had what I deemed to be an over-the-top dress code. Luckily that is my decision though and I'm sure neither me nor the club would feel like we were missing out on a shared experience. :)