Dress Code Question

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What a crock of nonsense.

Many clubs are flourishing with restricted dress codes in the same way many clubs are struggling with relaxed dress codes.

it just so happens (through a big marketing push and deals) that since the vote, our membership has grown to the extent that we are now full; and indeed we have been able to re-instate a £500 joining fee. And yes - we are a very traditional members club.

It just so happens that in parallel with the marketing push we have spent a lot of money on improving our practice and teaching facilities - all now top notch. And the course is in cracking condition. As a membership we agreed to a £40 levy this year that had gone into a course development fund. In the first instance to be used to start re-building our bunkers.

We know as a members club that the thing that will attract members will be the facilities and the course - that some potential members might quibble over the dress code is their problem - not ours.

And I'll note. On Saturday just gone our Junior Academy has 28 five-twelve year olds having great fun learning the game - with many parents (and hence potential members) in attendance

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't believe this has racked up 28 pages, I must have inadvertently opened a can of worms!

I think ultimately everyone has a slightly different view on dress codes. But luckily there are huge numbers of courses, each with slightly different nuances on it, so we can just play wherever suits us really.

But to answer my original question - they just let Tiger do what he wants right? :D

It's a traditional hot topic of discussion :)

G

guest100718

I assume you are referring to Canford Magna? Personally, I wouldn't want to play there because on the couple of times that I did I thought it was a bit chavvy so I wouldn't spend my money there. I'm happy to spend my money at one of the smarter clubs though.

So yes, they shut due to lack of income but do you see my point?

Cetainly all clubs have had to make an effort round my way to attract and keep new memebrs. From the likes of JOG to Stevenage and all those in between

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I assume you are referring to Canford Magna? Personally, I wouldn't want to play there because on the couple of times that I did I thought it was a bit chavvy so I wouldn't spend my money there. I'm happy to spend my money at one of the smarter clubs though.

I know one of the 2 owners of Canford Magna via business. CM was shut down because one of the 2 owners died and owed a lot of money and his partner would not continue to fund it even though he also owns Remedy Oak so he shut it hoping to make a fortune in housing being built. The actual course was not losing money. I liked the course working in Wimborne I could play there daily while at work :O).

I never thought it chavvy compared to a few over Bournemouth way but as the dress code thing goes it takes all sorts and ones man's chavvy is another mans snobbery.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Imagine if a golf course stipulated you had to be clean shaven to play!! It's a bit like some of the dress codes we still have in some places... ridiculous!

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site

No from reading your posts you enjoy the smarter snobby style dress codes and that is where you want to spend your money, which is great for you. Some people don't see the need and that may encourage them to try elsewhere just like it encourages you to try elsewhere from the other view point.

The majority sit somewhere in the middle..what people wear has very little bearing on whether a club is successful or not otherwise all clubs with limited dress code would be shutting down and all clubs with harsh dress codes would be thriving yet we know neither of these examples are true across the (w)hole business. It just boils down to our personal preferences.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haven't read all 29 pages of this thread but did anyone see Tommy Fleetwood today at Wentworth? He was wearing what basically boiled down to trainers, tracksuit bottoms that were too short and a button up t-shirt, looked like he was going jogging. Awful.

D

Deleted Member 1156

No from reading your posts you enjoy the smarter snobby style dress codes and that is where you want to spend your money, which is great for you. Some people don't see the need and that may encourage them to try elsewhere just like it encourages you to try elsewhere from the other view point.

The majority sit somewhere in the middle..what people wear has very little bearing on whether a club is successful or not otherwise all clubs with limited dress code would be shutting down and all clubs with harsh dress codes would be thriving yet we know neither of these examples are true across the (w)hole business. It just boils down to our personal preferences.

Interesting that you refer to my viewpoint as 'snobby'

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

What the heck is a harsh dress code? A dress code is just a dress code.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
What the heck is a harsh dress code? A dress code is just a dress code.

I suspect it means that there are quite a large number of dress restrictions which, if the details were shown to a normal (non-golfing) man in the street, he would struggle to believe that there was a rational explanation for them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I suspect it means that there are quite a large number of dress restrictions which, if the details were shown to a normal (non-golfing) man in the street, he would struggle to believe that there was a rational explanation for them.

In fact I suggest that most dress codes are 'no jeans or cargo trousers; collared shirt or other recognised golf top to be worn'

Hardly a large number... besides - adherence to a (pretty simple and relaxed) dress code indicates a recognition of and respect for the history, traditions and values of our game.

Last edited:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
From ours and I fail to see how this stops people playing golf:confused:

Any clothing specifically manufactured for golf is acceptable.
The following are therefore not permitted: denims, football/rugby
tops, combat style trousers/shorts. Tailored shorts are permitted on the course with
white socks that are above the ankle.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Imagine if a golf course stipulated you had to be clean shaven to play!! It's a bit like some of the dress codes we still have in some places... ridiculous!

Care to expand on this? Which course has a ridiculous code to play golf? I'll except knee high socks with shorts as still a given at many and is stupid but what else?

Other than the sock rule, I can't recall anywhere that has stupid dress codes to actually play golf.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
In fact I suggest that most dress codes are 'no jeans or cargo trousers; collared shirt or other recognised golf top to be worn'

Hardly a large number... besides - adherence to a (pretty simple and relaxed) dress code mindicates a recognition of and respect for the history, traditions and values of our game.

Anyone who knows me will attest that I do have that respect. There are, however, a number of dress regulations that I struggle to understand.

A couple:

Why do shirts have to be tucked in? - more comfortable untucked in the current spell of weather.

Why does the length of a sock have to be specified?

Such petty rules are ripe for ridicule.