Cost of Annual Membership at your Club

How much is Annual Membership at your club?

• Total voters

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Recently signed the boy up to our nearest club, and they do a points based membership. £425 gets you 100 points, plus full use of the club and comps (barring team comps such as Scratch, handicap team etc)
Points are then used up at a rate of 8 per round for a weekend morning tee time down to 3 points at off peak times. £50 of that initial £425 is the membership cost, so the 100 points are valued at £375, or £3.75 each.

Obviously you can buy more points, but they're not carried over at the end of the year.

It's certainly giving me some food for thought as I suspect I'm not going to play as much golf at my home club this year as I did before we moved to Spain, plus, I've got more desire to meet people and play on their courses that I'm contacting through social media.

Got a few mates who also play casual golf as well, so I'm contemplating setting up and running a society with them, which would maybe be one round every couple of weeks around the area, so the flexible membership might be ideal.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just got ours through. An 8% rise that takes it to the very psychological price of £999.

The course and club are in decent shape, and actively doing some improvements, so it's decent value for money. I just need to get off my backside and justify the cost this year.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
News just in, 11% increase. As it was previously good value verses surrounding courses I suspect it will be a case of suck it up.

shane3003

Visit site
I’m a PlayMoreGolf member currently, I was a full member of my local golf club previously and was considering going back to full membership.
However, I’ve just looked at annual membership and it’s increased around 50% since 2020. It’s now £1,515 for this year and for me it doesn’t make sense for how much golf I play.
It feels quite a lot over 3 years and I never felt that ‘membership’ feel when I was a member, although I do like the course.

It’s a shame as I wanted to try and play more this year but I may as well stay with PMG flexible membership.
I can top up the points and use my points to invite friends to play, so the flexibility is handy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think full membership was around 1500. Our renewal date is not until end of April, so not sure the new price yet, but I'm sure it will be over 1500 so have voted in that bracket.

I'm in the 30-39 category (for a couple more years) so ours is a little bit less, I suspect it will be approaching 1400 this time though.
They've just announced the new prices, it seems to be an increase of around 8% on last year's. Full membership is 1650 now, my 30-39 bracket is 1425.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’m a PlayMoreGolf member currently, I was a full member of my local golf club previously and was considering going back to full membership.
However, I’ve just looked at annual membership and it’s increased around 50% since 2020. It’s now £1,515 for this year and for me it doesn’t make sense for how much golf I play.
It feels quite a lot over 3 years and I never felt that ‘membership’ feel when I was a member, although I do like the course.

It’s a shame as I wanted to try and play more this year but I may as well stay with PMG flexible membership.
I can top up the points and use my points to invite friends to play, so the flexibility is handy.
It is a shame that you can’t support your local club but are quite happy to play there on the cheap. The club only get a proportion of the money you paid to PMG and presumably you are quite happy for the club to monitor and maintain your handicap, whilst on the EG system you are shown as a member of that club - but feel no allegiance to it.

JayB

Visit site
It is a shame that you can’t support your local club but are quite happy to play there on the cheap. The club only get a proportion of the money you paid to PMG and presumably you are quite happy for the club to monitor and maintain your handicap, whilst on the EG system you are shown as a member of that club - but feel no allegiance to it.

Why do people have to show allegiance to a club?

Not everyone feels this way and nothing wrong with getting value for money without paying for a full membership when you're not going to play much. Also I know very little about play more golf and how it works but I assume the club must have signed up to it and are happy to take the income via this route

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

What a load of condescending tosh.
The guys stated, it's not value for the amount of golf he plays, so he's doing the right thing for himself, his situation and his finances

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a load of condescending tosh.
The guys stated, it's not value for the amount of golf he plays, so he's doing the right thing for himself, his situation and his finances
And if the club were upset by it, I doubt anyone is forcing them to be part of the Play More Golf scheme.

Teebs

Visit site

That's a little harsh. Everyone has different circumstances and the club will benefit in some way from the PMG membership.

shane3003

Visit site

That’s one viewpoint, another is that I moved last year and now live over 60 miles away. I still enjoy playing there and want to try and play more this year, hence thinking of full membership, despite the added travelling time.

I feel that is support enough and as I mentioned in my post, I was a full member but didn’t really feel welcomed and embraced. Which wasn’t anyone not being personal, more my first golf club and for me poor introductions to new members.

This potentially will be my third year as a PMG member, if the club is not happy they could stop their partnership with PMG. I’ll also add I’ve never fully used all my points in a year, so who’s benefiting. On top of this I nearly always have drinks and food too, along with quite a lot of lessons with the pro.

Just on your point around maintaining a handicap, this is something I’ve never done and only play casually. I’ve paid my EG membership each year through the club but never received anything from them or the club.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Completely disagree. The club doesn’t care about the individual, whether it’s the poster or the next person, they want your money, they are running a business. If you can get it cheaper another way that’s more beneficial to him then good luck. It’s a golf club he’s picking not a new family.

Last edited:

Albo

Visit site
To some it’s just playing golf, not membership of a club that they want to feel allegiance to.

evemccc

Visit site
To those with 8% , 11% and more increases in annual subscriptions, have you been informed of your clubs current financial situation via AGM minutes, or from a summary from the board? If so, was the increase commensurate with that?

Or was it more a (bad) surprise or excessive in your view?

D-S

Visit site
To those with 8% , 11% and more increases in annual subscriptions, have you been informed of your clubs current financial situation via AGM minutes, or from a summary from the board? If so, was the increase commensurate with that?

Or was it more a (bad) surprise or excessive in your view?
Yes and yes.
It was not a surprise and after a very small rise last year, expected by all.

C7usk

Visit site
That's ours just in... Just under 4% increase to £72 a month. Happy with that and feel sorry for those who have had significant increases.

Swango1980

Visit site
£940, which includes £9.50 EG fee, £6.50 LUGC fee, £2 Golfguard Insurance and £12 Gocardless Admin Fee.

Think total fee last year was just under £900, so not a huge jump