Premium for Membership

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just left my old place and joined one 5 mins away fully intending to join on full membership. Got told about 6 day for £350. Jumped at it. Now have £450 to play other places, that I would have probably done anyway as well. Saving a bomb. Do I miss the comps? Nope! I miss the crack, but £450 for a few laughs? Nuts to that. Loving it. The cost of full membership is to high. Lines have been drawn and probably will never be crossed again.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It does seem that there will definitely be room for members clubs where members do pay a premium to be members but that for a lot of clubs and a lot of areas golf will have to be run more as a business.

i.e. by giving people the option to play some or a lot of golf without committing to membership.

Obviously for people who are occasional players, they are always going to struggle to play on Saturdays. I feel for a lot of these people, it is very difficult for them to become regular players or get to the point where they would join a club, unless they had friends who were also keen to play.

I was one of these people back in 2011. I had played golf a bit as a kid, but really this has involved being dropped off at the council golf course in the summer holidays and getting picked up 5 hours later. But in 2011, I played with a family member (on the day of the Royal Wedding) and immediately got the bug.

After spending a summer hassling friends, family and acquaintances to go and play municipal courses (and them not being as keen as me to play) I realised the only way I would get regular games at the weekend was to join somewhere. Even municipal courses were a struggle with some competitions on throughout Saturdays. And obviously some of the courses were pretty poor and not enjoyable.

Without all that much cash to commit to a golf club, this limited my options a bit. Fortunately I was under 30, so I basically looked for the best u30 deals in the area and joined that club. I was also fortunate I managed to get into a regular group there or I may have found more excuses not to play on non-competition days.

But in reality a lot of people would have given up long before I did and not parted with cash to join a golf club where they didn't know anyone.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Weekends are the big issue for me when it comes to membership. I know that, as I work reasonably long hours, midweek golf is a no for me so I am always going to be paying a premium, effectively full membership for 2 days golf. As such, I see the weekends as sacrosanct and I really noticed how much it mattered over the last year as a member at a hotel course.

Basically, I had to play in the roll up or be very organised otherwise the tee times filled up very quickly at the weekend, sometimes to the extent that I did not get to play. That was similar on Sundays with limited competition slots which, if missed, sometimes meant no golf.

Back at Belton Park, it is members and guests only at weekends and, maybe selfishly, I find that far better. If I am paying a premium basically for weekend golf then I am far happier with the idea that the course is for use by members only at the busiest times.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We were full for full members, and a bit down on ladies. About 40 odd lifestyle members was a good idea. Trouble was, they allowed 5 day members to drop down to lifestyle. This was significantly cheaper, but lead to a short fall in subs. So they opened it up, more 5 days dropped, etc. It is a very good deal.
Trouble is, they all want to play in the summer, and clog up the course, but it is the full members whose support during the winter months keeps the course afloat who get short changed in the summer evenings.
To make up the short fall from the 5 day membership, you need an awful lot of lifestyle members.

Yep, if it was down to clubs/ courses just relying on 5 days and u/30 clubs wouldn't survive.

It does seem that there will definitely be room for members clubs where members do pay a premium to be members but that for a lot of clubs and a lot of areas golf will have to be run more as a business.

most clubs couldn't run as businesses TBH.

if you just relied on people paying for how much they play, most clubs would just go under, esp in Scotland. 6 months where not many would be playing then courses rammed for a few months, what if the weather was bad for the summer?? Clubs need funds 12 months not just for the summer. i think many would just go under if they all worked like this. Members Golf clubs are not businesses they are NFP clubs run for the benefit of members.... only MO though;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Weekends are the big issue for me when it comes to membership. I know that, as I work reasonably long hours, midweek golf is a no for me so I am always going to be paying a premium, effectively full membership for 2 days golf. As such, I see the weekends as sacrosanct and I really noticed how much it mattered over the last year as a member at a hotel course.

Basically, I had to play in the roll up or be very organised otherwise the tee times filled up very quickly at the weekend, sometimes to the extent that I did not get to play. That was similar on Sundays with limited competition slots which, if missed, sometimes meant no golf.

Back at Belton Park, it is members and guests only at weekends and, maybe selfishly, I find that far better. If I am paying a premium basically for weekend golf then I am far happier with the idea that the course is for use by members only at the busiest times.

For me that should be one of the benefits of a private members club

A big percentage of golfers are weekend only so at those clubs they should prioritze the members and the course should be members only - that’s how we works - we only have visitors at certain times during the week mainly Monday afternoon , no teetimes.co etc or cheap deals - a visitor can play Saturday afternoon but very rare - happy that the club don’t try and bleed the course dry with non stop visitors

Reading in another thread of visitors during Comp days ?! Why any club would do that surprises me - chasing the money

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Being a member is, for me, more than just the golf. It's about the people you meet, the social side, the friends you make and the chance to play competitive golf. I've got all this at my club (one of the £1k clubs Grant is on about) and I know that the costs of running the club, this is needed to balance the books. And believe me, all aspects of cost savings are looked at. The club is looking to offer more for members and we are in the process of setting up driving bays on our practice area. The fact I can turn up and play any time when there isn't a comp on without booking is a major benefit for me too. In good weather pay and play courses are murder to get on. Fair enough, our course is busier but you're never crowded.
I would however agree that some clubs are making their golf too cheap, encouraging the nomadic golfer. If you have a group of mates you want to play with and are happy to go from one course to the next then this will work for you with limited outlay.
I could do that but I feel I'd be missing much more.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For me that should be one of the benefits of a private members club

A big percentage of golfers are weekend only so at those clubs they should prioritze the members and the course should be members only - that’s how we works - we only have visitors at certain times during the week mainly Monday afternoon , no teetimes.co etc or cheap deals - a visitor can play Saturday afternoon but very rare - happy that the club don’t try and bleed the course dry with non stop visitors

Reading in another thread of visitors during Comp days ?! Why any club would do that surprises me - chasing the money

This is us - for just the same reasoning.

As I work '9 to 6' weekdays I pay a premium to be a member of club where I can play any evening I wish after work without having to worry about getting on. And at weekends I can roll-up at pretty much any time (when the tee isn't booked for a comp) without pre-planning and worrying about whether I'll be able to get on. As we don't have tee-booking for casual play I know that I'll pretty much 100% always get on - either by myself or joining up with one or more others.

It's why I pay what I pay.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Being a member is, for me, more than just the golf. It's about the people you meet, the social side, the friends you make and the chance to play competitive golf. I've got all this at my club (one of the £1k clubs Grant is on about) and I know that the costs of running the club, this is needed to balance the books. And believe me, all aspects of cost savings are looked at. The club is looking to offer more for members and we are in the process of setting up driving bays on our practice area. The fact I can turn up and play any time when there isn't a comp on without booking is a major benefit for me too. In good weather pay and play courses are murder to get on. Fair enough, our course is busier but you're never crowded.
I would however agree that some clubs are making their golf too cheap, encouraging the nomadic golfer. If you have a group of mates you want to play with and are happy to go from one course to the next then this will work for you with limited outlay.
I could do that but I feel I'd be missing much more.

This is a good one. Last year we set up covered bays on our practice ground. Heavily used - btw the golfer is our rising starlet - in last couple of weeks has won the England Golf South Under 14s, and in a separate comp was 2nd in the National Under 16 schools. And this is what it takes :)

fgc bays.jpg

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is us - for just the same reasoning.

As I work '9 to 6' weekdays I pay a premium to be a member of club where I can play any evening I wish after work without having to worry about getting on. And at weekends I can roll-up at pretty much any time (when the tee isn't booked for a comp) without pre-planning and worrying about whether I'll be able to get on. As we don't have tee-booking for casual play I know that I'll pretty much 100% always get on - either by myself or joining up with one or more others.

It's why I pay what I pay.

This is what I realised over the last year. I enjoyed my golf but did not play enough. I know that there are those that extol the virtues of tee booking and, in all honesty, a resort course could not operate without it. That said, much of my golf away from weekends is spontaneous and you just cannot be like that with tee booking. About a month ago I had a day booked off because my car was in for a service etc. As the garage owner is a mate I drop it down and assume he will have it for the day. In this case he did the work straight off and I was free for the rest of the day by lunchtime. Great I thought, a quick 9 or 18 holes to practice. None were available until nearly 6.00 so I did not bother.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Everyone is looking for a bargain. Thats why companies that sell cheap tee times exist and that is why they make money. Golf clubs need visitors and can offer some "loss making" tee times in the hope that they spend money in the bar and catering side of things.

They are already maintaining the course for that day and if they can make £10 or £50 extra for an unused tee time plus hopefully a sale in the clubhouse they can usually absorb the course wear and tear (divots, plug marks) as that cost has already been factored into that years running of club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Everyone is looking for a bargain. Thats why companies that sell cheap tee times exist and that is why they make money. Golf clubs need visitors and can offer some "loss making" tee times in the hope that they spend money in the bar and catering side of things.

They are already maintaining the course for that day and if they can make £10 or £50 extra for an unused tee time plus hopefully a sale in the clubhouse they can usually absorb the course wear and tear (divots, plug marks) as that cost has already been factored into that years running of club.

Not always 100% true - just depends upon what you are looking for. And not all golf clubs depend upon visitors 'whatever and whenever'. At my club there isn't such a thing as a loss making tee-time - because we don't have a tee-booking system. Yes - there are times when the tee is empty and we could achieve some income by 'selling' such times - but members not only accept that there will be empty time - but actually want that to be the case.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Where do you play your golf if you don't mind me asking SILH?

Surrey/Hants borders...and before you ask :) about £1700 a year - including bar and course improvement levies, and a £1000 joining fee (paid over two years if required).

Yes - a horrid amount of money - but as I have said - golf is what I do - and I don't do anything else.

BTW - the subs are standard for this part of the world. Don't know if all clubs charge a joining fee - we've only recently re-introduced one and we have a waiting list.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How's the service and quality?

I'd expect the franchise owners to give it everything as it directly affects their livelyhood as opposed to salaried staff who may or may not care as they still get paid

The staff attitudes are about the same between the two depending upon the steward/stewardess.

Portion sizes are noticeably smaller.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Spoilt in South Wales got pyle and kenfig ,royal porthcawl and southerndown on my doorstep your taking about £900 a year for southerndown and p&k and royal pcawl is a big mystery secret handshake club invitation only would love to know how much a year it is there .

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Spoilt in South Wales got pyle and kenfig ,royal porthcawl and southerndown on my doorstep your taking about £900 a year for southerndown and p&k and royal pcawl is a big mystery secret handshake club invitation only would love to know how much a year it is there .

Also Ashburnham is around £800 I believe, which is an outstanding track. Would join in a shot if I lived down there.