Premium for Membership

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our costs of membership is basically based upon what it costs to run the club allowing for visitor income etc. We also take in to account what other clubs in the area charge

Mine last year for the full package (buggy storage and charging and a locker) was £1050.

There were a few years when we lost money or just about broke even. The decision was taken to reduce costs rather than increase fees and we quickly got back to making a relatively small operating profit.

Cost reduction came mainly from reducing the number of greenstaff and the hours the remaining ones worked and franchising our bar and catering.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You get what you pay for. My club is £1500 a year and in the top 100. I get a quality course in good condition with all the facilities you would expect. A £25 green fee on a website isn't going to provide anything like the same quality.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know that needs must but some clubs have shot themselves in the foot flogging cheap tee times

£1000 p/a membership or £20 per round on teeofftimes? Good way to undervalue your course and upset loyal members...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I know that needs must but some clubs have shot themselves in the foot flogging cheap tee times

£1000 p/a membership or £20 per round on teeofftimes? Good way to undervalue your course and upset loyal members...

This. Why price themselves so low? Put it up at a proper, decent price, and stop hawking off tee times like a cheap tart.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know a number of clubs that offer schemes based on the amount of golf played where a golfer pays a joining fee and then buys a number of credits. These are cashed in everytime they play and top ups can be bought. It allows them to be an active member, get a handicap, play comps etc but if there are barriers to playing regularly they aren't paying cash for something they aren't using.

Seems to work well in the clubs I know. The club get a fixed income from the initial joining fee plus initial credit purchase. Some only allow the credits to last the years membership and have to be re-bought but most allow them to role but they still get the membership fee annually. The golfer gets a flexible membership scheme. My mate is a member of a club on that method and is very happy with it

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You get what you pay for. My club is £1500 a year and in the top 100. I get a quality course in good condition with all the facilities you would expect. A £25 green fee on a website isn't going to provide anything like the same quality.

Agree with this, if you want a good course with good facilities then you should expect to pay for It, If not there are loads of course that will only charge you between £500- £750 for a membership even in or around Glasgow.

A £1000.00 Is not a massive amount to pay for a course with descent facilities.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I know a number of clubs that offer schemes based on the amount of golf played where a golfer pays a joining fee and then buys a number of credits. These are cashed in everytime they play and top ups can be bought. It allows them to be an active member, get a handicap, play comps etc but if there are barriers to playing regularly they aren't paying cash for something they aren't using.

Seems to work well in the clubs I know. The club get a fixed income from the initial joining fee plus initial credit purchase. Some only allow the credits to last the years membership and have to be re-bought but most allow them to role but they still get the membership fee annually. The golfer gets a flexible membership scheme. My mate is a member of a club on that method and is very happy with it

This is more a model that I think will suit a lot of people. The only one I know up here that do it, is at the Carrick.

I think they attract a lot of people who have 2nd memberships.

Realistically this would only work if a lot of clubs all did it. And it's a big call for clubs to suddenly cut their membership fees by 60 or 70% and then 'hope' they get more members and the ones they have play regularly enough to boost the income.

And like I said, people may take up memberships at multiple courses or pay for extra credits up front.

Also, it would require a change in mindset in terms of clubs advertising and getting people in through the doors on a regular basis. A lot of clubs may do a bit of a membership drive at this time in the year, and offer 18 month deals but in reality most clubs do not do much advertising.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is more a model that I think will suit a lot of people. The only one I know up here that do it, is at the Carrick.

I think they attract a lot of people who have 2nd memberships.

Realistically this would only work if a lot of clubs all did it. And it's a big call for clubs to suddenly cut their membership fees by 60 or 70% and then 'hope' they get more members and the ones they have play regularly enough to boost the income.

And like I said, people may take up memberships at multiple courses or pay for extra credits up front.

Also, it would require a change in mindset in terms of clubs advertising and getting people in through the doors on a regular basis. A lot of clubs may do a bit of a membership drive at this time in the year, and offer 18 month deals but in reality most clubs do not do much advertising.

I can think of a few clubs around here, plus the one my mate is a member of nearer London that offer this type of scheme. I think it's going to be something that grows and expands. It seems a sensible and logical business model and clubs get income and players get flexible

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There are a couple of other factors in play as well. The first is the number of courses closing which means that others are able to raise their fees due to limited membership availability. Don't see this changing soon.

The second is the VAT differential beteen private clubs and members clubs which make private clubs more expensive regardless of the cost base. I must admit I haven't seen any club lower their green fees due to the VAT reduction - they all appear to have taken the windfall and have now inflated their prices.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As to kitchens and a chef. Some clubs have switched business models and now franchise out the catering. It reduces financial risk but doesn't return money to the club, other than the drinks that diners buy.

That's a poor arrangement if that is what you have got at your club. Our club takes a percentage of what the franchisee takes. All aspects of catering and bar are his to run so we have no staffing costs whatsoever no steward to pay etc. We do have some control over price increases. We also agreed that the catering and bar are open to anybody who wishes to dine and drink their and having seen a large increase of the number of non members using the facilities.

It was an absolute win win for us because after allowing for staffing costs we used to make absolutely nothing on the bar and the catering profits were always the stewards wife bunce.

The only downside to members is that we have seen an overall increase in the costs to drink and dine there.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The only downside to members is that we have seen an overall increase in the costs to drink and dine there.

How's the service and quality?

I'd expect the franchise owners to give it everything as it directly affects their livelyhood as opposed to salaried staff who may or may not care as they still get paid

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
This. Why price themselves so low? Put it up at a proper, decent price, and stop hawking off tee times like a cheap tart.

I might be wrong , but I think some golf clubs give a certain number of tee times a month to the likes of Golf Now and BRS systems.
Instead of paying them cash for advertising, installing I.T systems and running the booking systems etc.

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We opened up a level of membership based on a points system. The idea was to help guys who either can't play much, or can't afford to play much. Brilliant idea.

Capped at 40.

Closed at 47.

Presently have 110.

Abused? Totally. It's rubbish. It should have been limited tee times, but isn't, so guys on full membership who want a quick 9 holes after work can't get on the course because it's clogged after 5 with people paying a fraction of full membership.

We are/were a members golf club.

We are now a business. Who voted for that?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

very true, its all these cheap deals that have spelt the death nell for many a club

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Indeed.... we have been trying to improve the course and put up the green fees... fewer folk paying more, rather than the other way round.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Golf is my single leisure activity. I am fortunate that I can afford the subs - and so I just pay them - even though the economies of the number of rounds of golf that I play is not great.

That's just not the point for me. I maybe play 2 rounds max a week. But over the last couple of months of lovely weather and long evenings I have been at the club 4 or 5 evenings a week for a potter around - playing anything between 6 and 12 holes. And usually I have the golf course to myself. Just perfect - and how I relax, clear my mind, and wind-down after a day work in front of a computer sorting hassle.

I am a member of a golf club - I have been for most of my adult life - it's just what I do. And as it is what I do I'd rather I did it in lovely surroundings on an excellent track with lovely clubhouse, great members and the most friendly staff.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We opened up a level of membership based on a points system. The idea was to help guys who either can't play much, or can't afford to play much. Brilliant idea.

Capped at 40.

Closed at 47.

Presently have 110.

Abused? Totally. It's rubbish. It should have been limited tee times, but isn't, so guys on full membership who want a quick 9 holes after work can't get on the course because it's clogged after 5 with people paying a fraction of full membership.

We are/were a members golf club.

We are now a business. Who voted for that?

Guess it comes down to why the club needed to open up another level of membership?

Just to top up the cash reserves or vital as membership was unsustainable at current rate/levels

if the former then no need to breach the cap I'd have thought, if the latter it might be saving the club and without it there wouldn't be a place for anyone to pop out for a quick 9 anyway

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Golf is my single leisure activity. I am fortunate that I can afford the subs - and so I just pay them - even though the economies of the number of rounds of golf that I play is not great.

That's just not the point for me. I maybe play 2 rounds max a week. But over the last couple of months of lovely weather and long evenings I have been at the club 4 or 5 evenings a week for a potter around - playing anything between 6 and 12 holes. And usually I have the golf course to myself. Just perfect - and how I relax, clear my mind, and wind-down after a day work in front of a computer sorting hassle.

I am a member of a golf club - I have been for most of my adult life - it's just what I do. And as it is what I do I'd rather I did it in lovely surroundings on an excellent track with lovely clubhouse, great members and the most friendly staff.

Sums it up for me, sounds like your enjoying where you play so the cost is exceptable. Can't fault it joining fees or limited membership with high cost per rounds doesn't matter HOW MUCH it's what you get from it.

I'm a PMG nomad play twice a week my home course is costing me £36 per medal 9 matrix points its not cheap yet full members think we shouldn't be allowed to play Sunday comps. Luckily its not a members course so they get no real say #Hotel

Joining fees are old hat but if they can get away with it carry on, supply and demand.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Since the OP mentioned the site - when watching the golf over this weekend I rather shuddered at the ads for teeofftimes - I paraphrase...

Fancy taking up golf? Go to teeofftimes to book your rounds and get playing....

eeek!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Guess it comes down to why the club needed to open up another level of membership?

Just to top up the cash reserves or vital as membership was unsustainable at current rate/levels

if the former then no need to breach the cap I'd have thought, if the latter it might be saving the club and without it there wouldn't be a place for anyone to pop out for a quick 9 anyway

We were full for full members, and a bit down on ladies. About 40 odd lifestyle members was a good idea. Trouble was, they allowed 5 day members to drop down to lifestyle. This was significantly cheaper, but lead to a short fall in subs. So they opened it up, more 5 days dropped, etc. It is a very good deal.
Trouble is, they all want to play in the summer, and clog up the course, but it is the full members whose support during the winter months keeps the course afloat who get short changed in the summer evenings.
To make up the short fall from the 5 day membership, you need an awful lot of lifestyle members.