Votes: 19 16.0%
  • Cancel current membership and go nomad

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Cancel current membership and stop playing altogether

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Fat Boab

Visit site
Once you have the kit then membership is the cheapest choice. I've recently looked at holiday golf in Scotland. Day green fee is between 5 and 12% of the membership fee. Then some of the clubs put a "Visitor's Welcome" notice on their website>

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You’re right there Patrick, think some have left for Torvean with the new course getting built, but there fees are the same as Inverness now.
Ive played a few games at Fortrose this year, lovely course.

I'm surprised that many have left to presumably go back to Torvean, its a right mess at the moment. 16,17 and 18 either closed or unplayable and the rest soaking or like an ice rink.

Fortrose is a great wee course, but as its so flat most of the membership are retired and not sure any of them know about letting anyone though and can make for a slow round despite it being so short.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And therein lies a key arguement for members putting their pre and post-round food and drink across the club bar rather than their local cafe/pub.

Agreed, for the life of me I cannot see why they just don't outsource it all and let it become someone else's problem while still maintaining a steady and pre-agreed income which can be budgeted around accordingly. I'm no Steve Jobs or Bill Gates when it comes to managing businesses but saddling clientele with price increases for business underperformance can surely only go one way eventually.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Likley be moving on. I really like my club and course, but the wife didn't take to golf like I had hoped so we will probably join a local health club so she has other things to do. The local one has a 9-hole golf club attached so I will play there as I won't be able to afford membership to the health club and the golf club unfortunately

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes - will be renewing. Our club is investing heavily to improve both on course and off course facilities, which I believe is very positive of them in the current environment. If it is getting more difficult to retain current members and attract new ones - differentiating is a positive strategy.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Staying at my current club (and only ever club). Been here two years now and is a very social club so have met some really top lads/ladies.

Some people have left this year which is really gutting as they were great people to play a round with and there is a rumoured housing development being considered extremely nearby which may affect the course so watch this space in the future!!

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Haven't decided yet. Like my current club, has 2 18 holes courses, online booking & member comps pretty much every Saturday.
However, the 2 people I joined with have disappeared over the last year & I don't have any other mates that play there (don't actually have that many mates who play golf anyhow) but due to the number of Saturday morning comps, this isn't such an issue though.
However, it is a 35 minute drive at the least (so can be pretty bad at rush hour, which pretty much means I can't play other than weekends, so using the range is a no no - not covered or floodlit - and am not able to get over there to even do a few practice holes in the evening/lunchtime), so the old value for money comes in.
Had a look at a couple of options locally but they don't seem to have as many Sat comps, so if I do move, will have to find some people to pair up with.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
I've just joined a second club (unbelievable six month offer - £175 for under 36s) as my brother is a member there.

Both memberships now expire at the same time so in July I'll have to decide to renew both or just one, can't see myself leaving Cleobury as it's the closest club to my house (although still fifteen minutes drive) and I have so little spare time with two kids aged one and two that traveling time really matters to me.