Joining a club or not?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

I played with a bunch of mates for about 10-15 years. Just every now & again. I enjoyed it but I wanted to play more, and to get a proper handicap. So i joined a club. It was dead easy to get involved, and dead easy to find a group of guys tp play with. (Ok l dare say one or two clubs may be cliquey, but i suspect the majority are more like mine). Never regretted it. And, i never felt I'd abandoned my mates, and indeed, still play with them pretty much as much as l used to.

Yeah, seems to be the common thread here in general that there’s no problem getting involved and find golfing buddies, even though there always will be a few rotten apples to stay away from. I sent my application form in today and will pay next week! An early Christmas present to myself from myself you could say.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd join the club. You'll soon meet other people especially if the club you join has regular roll ups and drawn competitions. Get a handicap, get playing in all the events possible and you won't look back and I reckon some of your current mates will look at you enjoying the benefits of your membership and decide to join you

Visit site
All going well** I'm planning to join my local club here in Italy for next year - I've had a pay & play arrangement since May/June
Although its a 9-hole, with only 3 par 4s, its quite challenging and in a very pretty setting + it's got good practice facilities (range/short game green etc)
My reasons are much as most have already stated - I want to play more and with more flexibilty ++ I want a handicap to work with
It also gets me out into the wider local Italian Community and improves my spoken Italian
As I go down there as a single I often end up playing with others (on the 1st tee, waiting at a par 3 to clear, playing through etc) and everyone has been very welcoming

**(and assuming I don't get turfed out post-Brexit)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I want to join but I prefer playing with my mates who live further than any club I’d wnna join. Would be counter productive

My mate however plays 88 rounds a year .. he doesn’t want to join for him playing the same course every week would bore him to death. He plays new courses or diff courses all time. Does tours of the open venues, society events and then just plays lots of golf

I was talking to him yest about it, he has no intention of changing his habits he loves the thrill of a new course

D

Deleted member 25172

I want to join but I prefer playing with my mates who live further than any club I’d wnna join. Would be counter productive

My mate however plays 88 rounds a year .. he doesn’t want to join for him playing the same course every week would bore him to death. He plays new courses or diff courses all time. Does tours of the open venues, society events and then just plays lots of golf

I was talking to him yest about it, he has no intention of changing his habits he loves the thrill of a new course

In the end it comes down to economy. I can keep on what I’m doing now just to play with my mates + the rounds I play in my own (which is also usually on the same course we always play). But, I have now the last 6 months paid the equivalent of 2/3 in green fees of what I’ll pay for a 18 month membership.

Another good thing with this club is that they have a scheme which allows you to play 12 rounds a year at 3 other courses if you want to break the weekly routine.

Even when I become a member I’ll try to get a few golf breaks in to play other courses.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the end it comes down to economy. I can keep on what I’m doing now just to play with my mates + the rounds I play in my own (which is also usually on the same course we always play). But, I have now the last 6 months paid the equivalent of 2/3 in green fees of what I’ll pay for a 18 month membership.

Another good thing with this club is that they have a scheme which allows you to play 12 rounds a year at 3 other courses if you want to break the weekly routine.

Even when I become a member I’ll try to get a few golf breaks in to play other courses.

Two things are stopping me joining s club

1. Time, I average a round a week, it’s not overly worth it, considering in the winter I play less

2. I want to play with my mates, they don’t want to play same course / we live 20 miles apart so meet diff places.

Maybe when I’m a bit older late 40s or something I’ll look at it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I play between 70-100 rounds per year at my course and I have to be honest I don't get bored of it. Add in the away games I play at forum meets or club matches and with some old friends and I get a decent mix of courses. It's the craic and banter of being a club member though that I really enjoy. Usually no quarter given in the bar or on the course, regular competitions and access to decent practice facilities so for me being a member is a no brainer. However I do get the fact that for some they like the freedom to play wherever and it comes down to cost efficiency and taste

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Don't worry about making friends. If you've done your homework and chosen the right club then making friends shouldn't be an issue. I didn't know anyone when I joined my club but have been fortunate to make lots of friends and acquaintances as a result.
Being new to the area it was better for me doing that rather than being a nomadic golfer.