Cost of Annual Membership at your Club

How much is Annual Membership at your club?

• Total voters

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Mine is up £50 to £1100. The side perks have dwindled to nothing over the years but I’d rather they go than see a massive membership increase.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m really fascinated about clubs who have zero increases this year (there are a couple in the local area) - are these clubs unaffected by inflation? Have they frozen all staff wages? I assume they must be all on fixed energy tariffs for the next year and are not planning on investing in any new machinery, but they will have to buy course materials which will be at a higher cost than last year.
Or are they worried about member retention?
We are on a fixed deal but we are also investing in the course with all the bunkers being refurbished over a five year plan, we have just purchased new machinery and also have just had top tracer installed with plans to extend the range further. This has been funded due to the fact the fuddy duddies have been outvoted and we are now spending the huge sums of money we have been sitting on following the sale of land to a property developer for a retirement complex

D-S

Visit site
we are now spending the huge sums of money we have been sitting on following the sale of land to a property developer for a retirement complex
Ah - this is one way of not needing to increase fees but unfortunately not available to all clubs.

IJames

Visit site
We are on a fixed deal but we are also investing in the course with all the bunkers being refurbished over a five year plan, we have just purchased new machinery and also have just had top tracer installed with plans to extend the range further. This has been funded due to the fact the fuddy duddies have been outvoted and we are now spending the huge sums of money we have been sitting on following the sale of land to a property developer for a retirement complex
I would have thought that, as long as Subs stayed pretty static, the fuddy duddies (presumably old f*rts) would be happy for improvements to course and machinery!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would have thought that, as long as Subs stayed pretty static, the fuddy duddies (presumably old f*rts) would be happy for improvements to course and machinery!
So would most people but they were wanting to save the money just in case. Not sure what would be worse than a total shutdown in the pandemic but they still wanted to sit on the investment.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More why do you have one? I’ve never heard of such an item.

Can you refuse to pay it? If so, do they stop people using the bar?

It's quite common, or at least it's been done at every.club I've been at.

Helps with accounting on the food and beverage at the club.

It takes a % of the annual subs and goes on the bar card.

This year it works out at £70.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Where are you moving to? Around £2k seems to be the norm in north London / Hertfordshire now.

Jesus, that would price me out the game but I appreciate the extra costs of living and land down there.

I think for me anything over a grand would see me become a nomad at the moment. And for a grand I'd want a course that was playable all year.

I think longer term my plan is to wait until I've paid off some debt and then sell some shares and join st annes old links. It'll be a 4k (or slightly more by then probably) outlay for that first year with joining fees etc but at least it'll be a course that only shuts for heavy frost/snow.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have quite a few friends at Minch and play there regularly and as I also play in Gloucestershire, I play a lot of courses in the County and I obviously know the fees paid at them. Given the year round conditioning, facilities and choice of two courses I believe it is good value for money versus others in the area.
Got a good mate just moving to Minchinhampton from The Players Club…seems he’s not that happy with the direction it’s going (what that is I know not but as The Players is a proprietary club and Minch is a members maybe there’s a clue in that) - besides…he lives in Minchinhampton. Played Minchinhampton a couple of times with him in the past and enjoy both courses and it seems a nice club. I’d certainly join it if I lived in the area.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It seems we've lost around 40 or 50 members this time around.
The usual "moving away" and "retiring through age" but more than normal so the cost of living is biting...
Recruitment drive forthcoming
Given we are knocking on the door of £2k I’ll be interested to learn of our non-renewal numbers now that renewals should all be done. It’s normally no more than about 3% but sometimes even lower.

D-S

Visit site
Got a good mate just moving to Minchinhampton from The Players Club…seems he’s not that happy with the direction it’s going (what that is I know not but as The Players is a proprietary club and Minch is a members maybe there’s a clue in that) - besides…he lives in Minchinhampton. Played Minchinhampton a couple of times with him in the past and enjoy both courses and it seems a nice club. I’d certainly join it if I lived in the area.
Minch is much more playable all year than the Players which is not a good winter course at all. They chopped around the original course at the Players when they built the second 18.

Visit site
Unless he has friends in high places, if he is moving to Minch New, there's currently a c2 year wait list.

I've only played the Players once, quite an impressive course but if I actually lived in Minch, it wouldn't occur to me to drive 40 mins to a club when there is a good one literally on my doorstep.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It's quite common, or at least it's been done at every.club I've been at.

Helps with accounting on the food and beverage at the club.

It takes a % of the annual subs and goes on the bar card.

This year it works out at £70.
Ah so you get it back to spend from your card. Sorry, I assumed it was just a charge for having a bar. I’ve never seen it up here But I’ve only ever been a member of two clubs to be fair.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah so you get it back to spend from your card. Sorry, I assumed it was just a charge for having a bar. I’ve never seen it up here But I’ve only ever been a member of two clubs to be fair.
That's right, means that bar and food have money available from the start of the new subscription year.
I still know people who go in and spend their card money in the last month 😳