Cost of Annual Membership at your Club

How much is Annual Membership at your club?

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Generally speaking, clubs with joining fees are member owned. They’re not a business aiming for a profit, and aren’t trying to attract customers. They want stability, and to be able to budget effectively.
If you want to move clubs every few years because you get bored, you’re not the really offering what a member owned clubs wants from their members.
Of course, you’re entitled to do what you like - but moaning about it seems a bit entitled.
This is very important for us at the moment as we embark on a very pragmatic clubhouse redevelopment project.

At the members meeting when we were briefed on options and the board’s preferred option, the clubs finance director (just a member like the rest of us) laid out the financial facts of life and financial risks for a members club. We don’t have a ’loadsamoney’ owner who can pump money in to keep the club solvent and a viable business if needs must, the owner is the membership. If ‘needs must’ then we the members have to find the money ourselves..

So when the opportunity presents, we have to take it to build up our bank balance for that rainy day or unforeseen event - to protect the membership. And so it is today. We have a good and ever improving offering…and a long and seemingly (so we are told) committed waiting list. As a result we take the opportunity presented, and for last renewal reintroduced our entry fee - being one year subs. Yes it’s a lot of money for most, but them‘s the facts of life for a members club in a part of the country where excellent clubs abound.

Swango1980

Visit site
This is very important for us at the moment as we embark on a very pragmatic clubhouse redevelopment project.

At the members meeting when we were briefed on options and the board’s preferred option, the clubs finance director (just a member like the rest of us) laid out the financial facts of life and financial risks for a members club. We don’t have a ’loadsamoney’ owner who can pump money in to keep the club solvent and a viable business if needs must, the owner is the membership. If ‘needs must’ then we the members have to find the money ourselves..

So when the opportunity presents, we have to take it to build up our bank balance for that rainy day or unforeseen event - to protect the membership. And so it is today. We have a good and ever improving offering…and a long and seemingly (so we are told) committed waiting list. As a result we take the opportunity presented, and for last renewal reintroduced our entry fee - being one year subs. Yes it’s a lot of money for most, but them‘s the facts of life for a members club in a part of the country where excellent clubs abound.
Completely agree.

In the few years pre Covid, 3 clubs in North Lincolnshire shut down, Canwick Park, Immingham and Sandilands. At least 2 of them were over 100 years old (Canwick and I'm sure at least one of the others). There was always talk about many golf clubs struggling, even some of the bigger clubs.

Covid comes along, more people start to play, and a fantastic opportunity for clubs to build up a war chest. They aren't generally conning members out of money so a CEO can buy a private jet.

Now with the rise in energy costs, golf club expenses are going to shoot upwards. Conversely, members will have less disposable income. So, no doubt clubs will have to balance, as always, the ability to earn extra income, whilst not rapidly losing members by making it unaffordable.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
an issue I have with joining fees, is what if I don't like the course or the club, then with the closest club to me I'm either out £2,040 (joining fee) or have to play at a club I don't like for fear of losing out on the £2.040

I can't remember who it is on here, but their club charges a slightly higher subscription for the first five years, so recoups the same amount of money as a joining fee, but doesn't come as one off massive investment, means if you don't like the club you'll be out a much smaller amount, and it feels more like a reward for loyalty as in your subscription reduces after a period of 5 years, rather than punishing new joiners.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
an issue I have with joining fees, is what if I don't like the course or the club, then with the closest club to me I'm either out £2,040 (joining fee) or have to play at a club I don't like for fear of losing out on the £2.040

I can't remember who it is on here, but their club charges a slightly higher subscription for the first five years, so recoups the same amount of money as a joining fee, but doesn't come as one off massive investment, means if you don't like the club you'll be out a much smaller amount, and it feels more like a reward for loyalty as in your subscription reduces after a period of 5 years, rather than punishing new joiners.
Imurg

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The market sorts this out eventually... there are winners and losers.

Our "joining fee" is payable over 3 or 5 years, can't remember which... wonder if they go after folk for the balance of it if they leave before that period? The joining fees go to reserves and capital projects and spend transparent. That said, folk assess the cost and agree or don't.

Swango1980

Visit site

I suppose it forces people looking for a new club to do as much research as they can before signing on the dotted line. Make sure they don't join a club they don't like. Depending on what type of golfer you are, it would be wise to play the course a few times before joining, look at the facilities, talk to the pro and/or staff about competitions. When the competitions are, how are they drawn, how do you book in to social golf, are there any roll ups / fiddles for new golfers to get to meet people, etc.

My mate has a habit of going to a club, saying he is probably looking to join and see if he can get a round, and they quite often let him play for free :)

JayB

Visit site

I like that idea more, a club in my area do this, unfortunately they also have a joining fee

D

Deleted member 15344

I think most clubs these days allow any JF to be paid over a certain period - ours is over 5 years I think

Joining a club with a full upfront fee you are going to have to be 100% sure it’s the club for you

sunshine

Visit site
At the start of winter, I was looking at clubs in Fife as Blairgowrie tends to be closed on a more regular basis now and I have friends in the Edinburgh area who play together all year round so somewhere between seemed sensible. I looked at the following...
Lundin Links - We have a reciprocal and I play there with members twice a year. Good course especially those between the old railway and the sea, but when I enquired, they have a waiting list of approx one year and want a deposit in advance.
Ely - Despite knowing a current member you need a proposer, seconder and the signature of three other members. Also has a very long waiting list.
Crail - Another course at which we have a reciprocal agreement, however a joining fee of £750 plus Annual fee of £575, and not the easiest to get to.
Leven - There are two clubs based here. Leven Thistle and Leven Links Golf Club. Having played Leven many times, and speaking to the Membership Secretary, I joined Leven Links Golf Club as a Senior Member. No joining fee or waiting list it is the friendliest club that I have ever known. Six times a qualifier for the Open it is a really good test of golf and seems to have a very good social scene.

Good decision! I've played all those courses (only once mind), and Leven was easily my favourite. Seemed the most down to earth atmosphere in the clubhouse too.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It’s a different world!
There's a guy at ours who's a member at Nairn Dornoch and Royal Aberdeen. Loaded at least 2 ferraris and a couple of Bentleys, plus a number of other cars all with personalised number plates. He's a Chinese business man, or that's what he called himself. He moved to the Wentworth estate, bought a house and joined there. My mated wife is good friends with his wife and they were looking forward to going down for a game.
They were back up hear and had sold out at Wentworth within 6 months. They won't say why??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
At the start of winter, I was looking at clubs in Fife as Blairgowrie tends to be closed on a more regular basis now and I have friends in the Edinburgh area who play together all year round so somewhere between seemed sensible. I looked at the following...
Lundin Links - We have a reciprocal and I play there with members twice a year. Good course especially those between the old railway and the sea, but when I enquired, they have a waiting list of approx one year and want a deposit in advance.
Ely - Despite knowing a current member you need a proposer, seconder and the signature of three other members. Also has a very long waiting list.
Crail - Another course at which we have a reciprocal agreement, however a joining fee of £750 plus Annual fee of £575, and not the easiest to get to.
Leven - There are two clubs based here. Leven Thistle and Leven Links Golf Club. Having played Leven many times, and speaking to the Membership Secretary, I joined Leven Links Golf Club as a Senior Member. No joining fee or waiting list it is the friendliest club that I have ever known. Six times a qualifier for the Open it is a really good test of golf and seems to have a very good social scene.
Tbh I think Leven is a better layout than any of those anyway.

Albo

Visit site
There's a guy at ours who's a member at Nairn Dornoch and Royal Aberdeen. Loaded at least 2 ferraris and a couple of Bentleys, plus a number of other cars all with personalised number plates. He's a Chinese business man, or that's what he called himself. He moved to the Wentworth estate, bought a house and joined there. My mated wife is good friends with his wife and they were looking forward to going down for a game.
They were back up hear and had sold out at Wentworth within 6 months. They won't say why??
Hmmm very sketchy

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got our renewal through by email this afternoon
Matfen Hall Northumberland

Last year was £950

Renewal comes in at £1165

Needless to say
Me and Kraxx68.......are not renewing

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got our renewal through by email this afternoon
Matfen Hall Northumberland

Last year was £950

Renewal comes in at £1165

Needless to say
Me and Kraxx68.......are not renewing
Ouch. That's quite a hike.

Do you have options lined up? Where you expecting that much of an increase? (no need to name clubs)