Club Championship - 1st round RANDOM DRAW????

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has anyone else had this at their club's championship? Every club I have ever known has seeded the first round with the lowest handicappers and championship contenders playing together.

The two organisers at my place this year have done it randomly so the low guys have a combination of high 24+ handicap men and a couple of 36 handicap women playing with them.

The second round will be done in reverse of order of gross scores as always but how the hell are you supposed to concentrate in the one gross scoring scratch event of the year when you're drawn with two people who probably won't even break 100??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does everyone play in I at your clubt? Most clubs require players to qualify for it, after that ours is 36 holes with players drawn in their qualifying scores

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There's always some eejits at a club who come up with a "great new master plan" that is never going to work and is unfair to the, probably, relatively few real contenders in the scratch comp. although our comp, over 2 days, had some flaws in the organisation it did pair low to high handicappers in groups according to their handicap with the leaders going out, on the second day, last, just as tour events do.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't see what the problem is - do the low handicappers think they are too good and are above playing with a high handicapper? If so they need to get their heads out of their own backsides

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Finding the best player is the objective.
Throwing hoops into the ring for the better players to jump through will help determine that.
How do you cope when drawn with a 28'er in a Medal..?
Same meat...different gravy.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Club Championships at ours is open to all members and you just select your own tee time for the Sat and Sun as in any other competition.

Captains weekend (this weekend, which you have to qualify for) has a "selected tee time" sheet for the Sat, but they pretty much put you out around your normal tee time. Sun is then is nett score order, lowest last.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I can't see what the problem is - do the low handicappers think they are too good and are above playing with a high handicapper? If so they need to get their heads out of their own backsides

The problem is that if you're in contention & have to spend loads of time looking for balls, letting people through etc. it's likely to affect the way you play, as well as making the player doing the hacking extremely uncomfortable. I don't normally mind playing with any standard of golfer at all but can understand why someone with a real chance of winning would want to play with members with a similar handicap.

Our championship is seeded, with the lowest handicaps going out last in the first round.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The first day at ours is reverse handicap order, but the rest of the year is random draws and playing with an eejit will affect me more than how good they are at golf.

Having said that, I'm not shooting the kind of scores that the OP is hoping to.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What if a low handicapper had a mare? What if a low handicapper was going through a bad patch? Club champs are all about playing with however you're drawn with!§

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is unusual to all play together and makes the club champ just another comp.
at least the 2nd round is in score order.

There is also another side to this the 24 h/caper in a purple patch and chance to scoop the nett prize gets drawn with a Cat1 and his game falls apart under the pressure of trying to keep up.

D

Deleted member 1147

Why does someone shooting 100 put you off?
Surely if you're good enough to think you have a chance of winning the gross prize you should be good enough to play well no matter what your PP shoots.

Also, you often see tour pro's where there are 10 or more shots between people in the same group in rounds 1 & 2.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I guess it comes down to what form the Club Champs take and the differences from club to club (it’s not the Euro tour after all)

Sounds like there’s different categories (not divisions) in the OP’s club so if some are handicap such as the nett then it’s no surprise that the lowest guys will go together on second day/round but I don’t see a need to wrap them in cotton wool from the off by segregation unless some low/scratch guys are only entering the scratch category and will not compete in the others such as nett

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our first round has been both seeded on handicap and random. Don't really care either way as long as they are decent company. What they do and how many shots they take has no influence on my game. When it's my turn to play only I have influence over the shot. if it's a slow round, eat something, look around, sing a song or just sit down. Accept it and let it wash over you

G

guest100718

We do handicap order day 1, the gross on day 2.

Makes sense to me

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We don't have huge entries so just put names down with whom we like although it was traditionally a handicap order event.

No reason why it should make a huge difference how the hcp's are mixed up although I'll admit that if I'm not quite on my game playing with better/good golfers does drag me along which wouldn't happen otherwise.

Ultimately we all have to look after our own games and my only real preference is to play with folk I get along well with.

D

Deleted member 16999

Will only get worse when they raise handicaps to 40 and 50 respectively :rofl: