General Play round, 2 people playing, 1 scoring

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That is my understanding of my club as well. Three rounds with a member w/ handicap. Great shout about the comp, though. I will definitely enquire about that. They've said that they'll be more than happy to help arrange opportunities to get those cards signed :)

My place has all comps via a random draw - not sure if yours does or not - if it doesn't then you'll just need the pro to find a group that are willing to do your card(s) for you - and there will be some

Everyone was there at some point!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We don't have a communal computer screen like most places seem to.
Out of interest

Does this mean that somebody at your club has to do all the scores input for all players when there is a comp?

During the pandemic our PSI screens were not in use and I was doing this and know how much work is involved.

Swango1980

Visit site
Do you need to inform the handicap secretary or can you just not inform the person marking your card that you are submitting a general play round? What if I'm playing at a mates course, surely I can just inform the marker of my card of my intent on the first tee and they mark the card as normal and then I could hand the card into the club?

Obviously I'd just use my phone before the round but thinking for the technophobes out there.
I'd imagine most clubs would not accept that, and need players to pre-register more officially. Otherwise, it makes a bit of a mockery of pre-registration. A score is submitted with no sign of pre-registration, and the player simply says "I informed my mate before the round"

Springveldt

Visit site
I'd imagine most clubs would not accept that, and need players to pre-register more officially. Otherwise, it makes a bit of a mockery of pre-registration. A score is submitted with no sign of pre-registration, and the player simply says "I informed my mate before the round"
Isn't it the same though as just pre-registering on the app while you wait at the first tee? I doubt people are going to pop into their local course first or phone the handicap secretary to say "I'm pre-registering my round at so and so course". I wouldn't want to pre-register days in advance in case life gets in the way or the weather is garbage when you wake up that morning and some one asks for your card or else sticks you down for all net double bogies.

Yes, it's a bit open to abuse but with golf we have to take people's word for it. It's the same scenario when you get someone who hasn't pre-registered for a round but still signs for your score on the app. There is no proof they actually played with you, you could just be getting a mate to sign it for you in the clubhouse who was out with someone else or hasn't even played.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't it the same though as just pre-registering on the app while you wait at the first tee? I doubt people are going to pop into their local course first or phone the handicap secretary to say "I'm pre-registering my round at so and so course". I wouldn't want to pre-register days in advance in case life gets in the way or the weather is garbage when you wake up that morning and some one asks for your card or else sticks you down for all net double bogies.

Yes, it's a bit open to abuse but with golf we have to take people's word for it. It's the same scenario when you get someone who hasn't pre-registered for a round but still signs for your score on the app. There is no proof they actually played with you, you could just be getting a mate to sign it for you in the clubhouse who was out with someone else or hasn't even played.
So then, this coming Sunday morning, I shot 87 ;) . 74 for your good self? :ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site

No, because there should be an official record of a player pre-registering using the App. There is nothing official about telling your mate. If golf clubs were to simply trust that method, then why have any facilities to pre-register at all? Just tell clubs golfers should be trusted at all times, and assume they've told their marker before teeing off every time they submit a GP round.

Springveldt

Visit site
No, because there should be an official record of a player pre-registering using the App. There is nothing official about telling your mate. If golf clubs were to simply trust that method, then why have any facilities to pre-register at all? Just tell clubs golfers should be trusted at all times, and assume they've told their marker before teeing off every time they submit a GP round.
So if I forget my phone and leave it at home and I'm playing at a mates course I can't hand a general play card in unless I borrow my mates phone and phone my home course pro shop to tell them my intention to pre-register for a general play round?

D

Deleted member 15344

So if I forget my phone and leave it at home and I'm playing at a mates course I can't hand a general play card in unless I borrow my mates phone and phone my home course pro shop to tell them my intention to pre-register for a general play round?

Why do you need to tell your club your intention? You only need to tell your playing partners , fill out the card and then send it to your club

Swango1980

Visit site
You need to see from the clubs what options they allow for pre-registration. All I am saying, simply telling your mate that is marking your card would not be sufficient (although I suppose some Committees let anything go....).

As I said, if that was considered an acceptable method of pre-registration, then there would be no need for any other method to do it. Everyone has a marker for their score, so if it was as simple as just telling them before teeing off, then why would anyone need to go to the bother of signing in on an app, signing in at the pro shop or contacting their handicap secretary?

D-S

Visit site
If just telling your mate is acceptable then EG wouldn't have needed to add features on their App such as geolocating both player and attester as well as date stamping and time limits.

Swango1980

Visit site
If this helps at all, it is from "Guidance on WHS Rules of Handicapping as applied within GB&I"

In GB&I each National Union determines that it is a requirement that all rounds for handicapping purposes, including those for Initial Handicap Award, must be pre-registered either through the computer software or manually. Entering a competition or being named in a draw or a booking system is not in itself pre-registration. Registration must be confirmed on the day itself in the manner prescribed by the club/Committee.

I doubt any club would allow the "manual" method of pre-registration just telling their mate. If a player decided to abandon their round as it was rubbish and didn't want it on their handicap record, then they could easily do so if they just told their mate. There would never be any record of them pre-registering in the first place. Likewise, if they decided to hand the score in after the round, as the score was known and they wanted it on their record, it would be pretty easy to say "I told my mate before the round"

Springveldt

Visit site
Why do you need to tell your club your intention? You only need to tell your playing partners , fill out the card and then send it to your club

Apparently not...

You need to see from the clubs what options they allow for pre-registration. All I am saying, simply telling your mate that is marking your card would not be sufficient (although I suppose some Committees let anything go....).

As I said, if that was considered an acceptable method of pre-registration, then there would be no need for any other method to do it. Everyone has a marker for their score, so if it was as simple as just telling them before teeing off, then why would anyone need to go to the bother of signing in on an app, signing in at the pro shop or contacting their handicap secretary?
If just telling your mate is acceptable then EG wouldn't have needed to add features on their App such as geolocating both player and attester as well as date stamping and time limits.

If this helps at all, it is from "Guidance on WHS Rules of Handicapping as applied within GB&I"

In GB&I each National Union determines that it is a requirement that all rounds for handicapping purposes, including those for Initial Handicap Award, must be pre-registered either through the computer software or manually. Entering a competition or being named in a draw or a booking system is not in itself pre-registration. Registration must be confirmed on the day itself in the manner prescribed by the club/Committee.

I doubt any club would allow the "manual" method of pre-registration just telling their mate. If a player decided to abandon their round as it was rubbish and didn't want it on their handicap record, then they could easily do so if they just told their mate. There would never be any record of them pre-registering in the first place. Likewise, if they decided to hand the score in after the round, as the score was known and they wanted it on their record, it would be pretty easy to say "I told my mate before the round"

I'm either missing the point or you are. I'm not at my home course, I'm at a different course (say I'm on a golf outing somewhere) and I would like to play a general round and have it count against my handicap. So if I've left my phone at my hotel therefore can't pre-register on an app then I can't hand a general score in unless I contact someone at my home club to tell them I'm going to be handing a score in?

The rules above are all fine and well if you are at your home course as you can get someone in the pro shop or use the terminal to pre-register but if you are at some other course and you don't have a phone then tough luck, no general play for you?

D

Deleted member 15344

Apparently not...

I'm either missing the point or you are. I'm not at my home course, I'm at a different course (say I'm on a golf outing somewhere) and I would like to play a general round and have it count against my handicap. So if I've left my phone at my hotel therefore can't pre-register on an app then I can't hand a general score in unless I contact someone at my home club to tell them I'm going to be handing a score in?

The rules above are all fine and well if you are at your home course as you can get someone in the pro shop or use the terminal to pre-register but if you are at some other course and you don't have a phone then tough luck, no general play for you?

Exactly - I have been at away courses , PP don’t have the app so I have told them I am putting this card in for HC , they all agree , the card is signed and I hand it in with no issues.

Always got to have some level of trust in players. People can start rounds halfway round with the app or even after if they hang about in the club - the person signing doesn’t have to be there etc

Swango1980

Visit site
Apparently not...

You then need to find out the methodologies available from your club.

As I keep saying, simply telling a mate probably won't cut it. Whether the club overlook that, I've no idea. But, wide open to abuse and it would have been completely pointless developing Apps, like MyEG, to allow a player to pre register at away courses if you can just tell your mate.

The App is supposed to make it easier for pre registration, so if you forget your phone, that would be the players problem. They'd then have to look for the alternative way of declaring that intent.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently not...

Would it work if you told the pro in the shop at the away club you are at? I'm thinking out loud here, hopefully someone can advise.

RichA

Visit site
Out of interest

Does this mean that somebody at your club has to do all the scores input for all players when there is a comp?

During the pandemic our PSI screens were not in use and I was doing this and know how much work is involved.
Yes. Comp sec manually puts all the scores into his laptop (Handicap Master?) and they magically appear within your MyEG profile. We're a small, proprietary club. Average comp only sees about 20-30 entrants.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently not...

There is an element that Phil and you are glossing over. Pre-registering is a commitment to submit a card and there has to be an acceptable reason for non-submission.