Boards in clubhouse

YandaB

Visit site
Ours is a fairly modern clubhouse, Perspex Boards with black lettering for us. Fit's in with the location. I like to see who has won what. Aas others have mentioned, I do enjoy reading the really old ones to see mentions of Group Captain Smith, the Reverend White etc. as well as the possible multi-generations of the same family winning things.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We have loads and loads of the old fashioned wooden boards with gold letters for all the silverware trophy comps.
They are mainly in the small front bar and some older ones in the mens locker room. I believe the very oldest ones are safely stored away.
The main lounge and dining room we are having new acrylic boards with black lettering.
I'm happy to say that my name is up there 12 times.
2 club champs, 3 scratch knockouts, 5 nett comps and 2 betterball matchplay knockout.
There was never a board for the Junior Champion, which is a shame, as I won that twice in the 1970s.
That would have made 7 scratch and 7 nett.
So I am quite happy to gaze at the boards from time to time and look at all the names of friends from days-gone-by and those who, like me, remain.
I've already had my afternoon nap, thanks.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
One of our group has a bit of a bee in his bonnet about the competition boards at our club and the fact they aren’t updated in a timely fashion, some for a few years. I think that the boards are old fashioned and no-one notices them anyway. The clubhouse is fairly new and has a modern interior but the boards are the traditional dark wood with gold lettering and I think they should be removed, or at Leat thinned out - there must be 20+.
Does your club still have boards on show, and if so, what is the design?
The only thing on ours is a notice of a member’s passing away.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I shudder Whenever I visit a club that has this type of thing. Long row of photos of past presidents, a gallery demonstrating the range of NHS spectacles from 1960-1990
A woman at work cleans at an old school club nearby at weekends that has years and years worth of these pictures. She gets in at about 6am and leaves those areas to last, by which time other people have turned up. They creep her out completely and doesn't like to be alone with them 😄. I look at them differently now when I play there and I agree with her, and you. If you have to have pictures up then be the current captain's only.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Dark wood and gold lettering at some clubs I’ve been a member of. Light oak and black lettering in others. Sometimes it’s the building that almost chooses the type of board. Put a dark wood board in a modern building and it just doesn’t look great.

I like the idea of ‘board comps’ as I feel it elevates that competition to being more than a monthly medal or a stableford. It adds a bit of buzz to it. They create some chatter too. “Do you remember old such and such,“ or “I remember that round old such and such had.”

Some board comps are named after the person who donated the trophy. The Whatsit Cup. And again, it adds to the chatter.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had the traditional wooden boards with gold lettering. We got rid of those when we re-furnished the clubhouse and went to a modern perspex board with black lettering that looks quite modern and smart. Rather than discard the old boards completely they were photographed and the pictures put onto a a wooden base and that base put up on one wall as you enter. It is discreet but still gives people a chance to reminisce and look for their name or those of members and family no longer with us

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Some of Camberley’s original wooden boards have been relegated to a road underpass between two holes. Not sure how respectful that is tbh. Better than binning them I suppose.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not criticising a clubs choices but I’m not unhappy that the home club doesn’t have things like pairs comps up on the boards, and the past captains photos does invoke images of ‘employee of the month’ :p

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are in the middle of a major refurbishment of our clubhouse. All the boards are being removed. I think only the Men's and Ladies' Scratch Champion boards are being retained in the respective locker rooms.
Not finished yet but already everywhere looks lighter, brighter and bigger.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of our group has a bit of a bee in his bonnet about the competition boards at our club and the fact they aren’t updated in a timely fashion, some for a few years. I think that the boards are old fashioned and no-one notices them anyway. The clubhouse is fairly new and has a modern interior but the boards are the traditional dark wood with gold lettering and I think they should be removed, or at Leat thinned out - there must be 20+.
Does your club still have boards on show, and if so, what is the design?

When they refurbished our club house they did away with the old wooden boards and changed them to very modern glass version with smart lettering over the traditional gold poop!

Very smart and part of the history of the club. Why would you not want your name on a majors board? Next thing you’ll not be engraving club trophies.