Name in gold on board comps

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I like to look at the various boards especially in old top clubs like Royal St George's, Sunningdale etc

My club also have quite a few honours boards and I have my name on a few, the most recent being this summer.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I always actually quite enjoy looking through the honours boards at clubs when I visit, I enjoy the stories they hint towards.

My school was 600 years old and had some honours boards dating back years.

In my time the cricket board was dominated by one family, 3 brothers who were all a couple of years apart and who all played first team (under 18s) from being 12 years old (they were very very very gifted cricketers) they filled the board with fifers and centuries for a 12 year block. I imagine that board will make some interesting reading in a few years time as people question who the hell this family was!

I agree though it should be just the "major" comps - club champs, captains, opens etc.

The missus' dad has his name on a few boards at St Annes Old Links which I'd be pretty proud of with the prestige of the club but he seems pretty nonchalant about.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wooden honours boards usually paired with portrait photos of "self important people" just makes the place look antiquated and stuffy to me. I've won 2 board comps and have no desire to see my name on a board

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I won pretty much all the majors it was possible to at my old club. The old boards were taken down and put up in the changing rooms when the place was decorated. They were replaced with a more modern equivalent, which made the place much nicer.

I’ve no idea whether or not either are still there, and aren’t particularly bothered if they are or not. Other than a nice crystal tumbler, I haven’t kept any of the trophies.

D

Deleted member 21258

Do I need to goto hell, as quite like the modern plastic looking ones.:p

I think there should only have ones for club champions or major amateur events (gross)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Wooden honours boards usually paired with portrait photos of "self important people" just makes the place look antiquated and stuffy to me. I've won 2 board comps and have no desire to see my name on a board
I see self important people portraits on walls as people who like captains, have flogged there guts out for a year raising money for charities and raising the profile of the club. Again it is history and sits fine with me.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I like to look at the various boards especially in old top clubs like Royal St George's, Sunningdale etc

My club also have quite a few honours boards and I have my name on a few, the most recent being this summer.

is that winner of "most sets of different irons used in the last 12 months"

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
No harm in them, if they are done well......part of the history and it's great to see famous names on them from when they were young.

I won the summer foursomes at my last (proprietary) club, there was no board for it. My PP mentioned it to the management. We got an email saying, there should be one and they would do one if we paid £500 to kick it off.

We declined! :) (But we did beat a current European Tour player in the final..... he was 14 at the time!)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
First club had a dozen or so boards...got my name on Captain's Day twice
2nd club had Club Champion and Short course Champion....not really enough
3rd club had dozens..most of which were in the bar that we rarely ventured into - being lowly 5 day members and all that
Ellesborough has quite a few, most going back to the 20's and 30's - I think they're all pretty major events in the calendar, some newer (Jubilee Cup that began in '77)
And while it would be nice to get my name on one of the boards, if I don't I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First club had a dozen or so boards...got my name on Captain's Day twice
2nd club had Club Champion and Short course Champion....not really enough
3rd club had dozens..most of which were in the bar that we rarely ventured into - being lowly 5 day members and all that
Ellesborough has quite a few, most going back to the 20's and 30's - I think they're all pretty major events in the calendar, some newer (Jubilee Cup that began in '77)
And while it would be nice to get my name on one of the boards, if I don't I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
You will see my name on the Ellesborough board ??? 2013 .. it was one of those hot days where I got an utter rollocking from the wife before I left, made it to the tee with 2 minutes to spare and tied up my shoe laces . Played with 2 really polite old boys one was a Latin teacher .. never strayed from a fairway and shot a 71 to win by a stroke from the +2 gorilla.. had to ring the wife and say I would be late as I had to be there for presentation.. she actually took it rather well and she gave me a well done kiss when I got home

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You will see my name on the Ellesborough board ??? 2013 .. it was one of those hot days where I got an utter rollocking from the wife before I left, made it to the tee with 2 minutes to spare and tied up my shoe laces . Played with 2 really polite old boys one was a Latin teacher .. never strayed from a fairway and shot a 71 to win by a stroke from the +2 gorilla.. had to ring the wife and say I would be late as I had to be there for presentation.. she actually took it rather well and she gave me a well done kiss when I got home
Champs?
If not you'll have to give me a clue.....haven't got enough time to search them all..:LOL:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
No,no,no,no....you don't get to leave it there............

'Twas a young Jordan Smith. (That's Smith, not Spieth!!) Can't remember who his partner was, but lets say, Jordan wasn't helped much by him that day and we won with steady if unspectacular golf!)

Current club has few boards, just for the biggies... and interestingly one for "International Honours" - those who have represented Wales. Recently our girls have done really well.