Name in gold on board comps

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wooden honours boards usually paired with portrait photos of "self important people" just makes the place look antiquated and stuffy to me. I've won 2 board comps and have no desire to see my name on a board
With you on the portrait photos - in fact we had photos of ladies and gents captains going back donkeys high up round one of our bars but these have recently been removed (I think the fact that we ran out of room prompted the change) - to be replaced by a single framed collection of the photos of maybe the last ten years of captains adorning the wall of the stairs to our changing rooms. The current ladies, gents and juniors captains have their photos in the entrance ball. And that’s fine.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Champs?
If not you'll have to give me a clue.....haven't got enough time to search them all..:LOL:
Back wall left side as you walk in I think and right side of the door as you look at the bar .. I think . I think that’s captains day cannot quite remember as I was having a purple patch and won something else that was a important.. one was a pair of adicross shoes when they first came out and the other was a crystal decanter ( that had the receipt in just in case I wasn’t into that stuff - I am but I don’t drink enough to decant)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
'Twas a young Jordan Smith. (That's Smith, not Spieth!!) Can't remember who his partner was, but lets say, Jordan wasn't helped much by him that day and we won with steady if unspectacular golf!)

Current club has few boards, just for the biggies... and interestingly one for "International Honours" - those who have represented Wales. Recently our girls have done really well.
…or go to North Hants and be ‘honoured’ if you are ‘lucky’ enough to be shown into the sanctuary that is the ‘Justin Rose Room’.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Quite a few of us had that honour during a forum meet some years back
…my slight cynicism aside…the room is interesting…that they have the final scoreboard of the US Open along one wall…hope JR has asked the club where they’ll put the same for his next major. Also loved the flagstick with the curious basket from the 18th green.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We have golden wooden boards with names in black.:p My name is on one of the boards twice, but it is in the darkest corner of the changing room where no one goes.:(

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Many get fixated on ‘winning’ and actually getting better at golf is secondary
Winning is the essence of sport and competition, and handicap golf enables people to compete in a more satisfactory way than many sports, and that is one of its many great attractions. Getting better being secondary is a perfectly valid, and even preferable approach. One dosent need to get better to enjoy competing and having a chance of winning when it all comes together on one glorious day. A fixation on winning, if that is what it is, would seem would seem consistent with people competing for the sheer fun of it as they do in so many ways, sporting and non.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Winning is the essence of sport and competition, and handicap golf enables people to compete in a more satisfactory way than many sports, and that is one of its many great attractions. Getting better being secondary is a perfectly valid, and even preferable approach. One dosent need to get better to enjoy competing and having a chance of winning when it all comes together on one glorious day. A fixation on winning, if that is what it is, would seem would seem consistent with people competing for the sheer fun of it as they do in so many ways, sporting and non.
Wasn’t a point about winning, just the fixation on having your name up on a board. Win the monthly stableford by all means, doesn’t mean it has to be recorded for all history. recognise achievement, not relative achievement. That’s the point. I’m never going to win a scratch comp, but I’d be ok with our boards being reduced. I’m on 3 of them, can’t remember the last time I looked at them, if ever.
I wasn’t the best golfer that day, just the best golfer relative to handicap.
I’ll play to try and get better, I don’t understand any other mindset

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
All my golfing relatives have their names up on boards at Royal Malkins and it's taken me 20 years of playing for me to finally do it, not at RM I hasten to add. I did it whilst playing off my lowest handicap Ive played off. So I can claim that mine is a greater achievement as theirs were done as they were improving. And yes, damn it, I'm all for names on boards!!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For the club ‘posterity‘ reasons I’ve already mentioned I am proud to have my name on the board for a club comp - even though it’s really only 2nd tier. Every time I play, my version of ‘winning’ is that I try to exceed my expectations for that day or improve upon my last time out. Of course when I play a match I very much wish to win my match, I am less fixated upon winning competitions as there are too many factors (players) involved.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Wasn’t a point about winning, just the fixation on having your name up on a board. Win the monthly stableford by all means, doesn’t mean it has to be recorded for all history. recognise achievement, not relative achievement. That’s the point. I’m never going to win a scratch comp, but I’d be ok with our boards being reduced. I’m on 3 of them, can’t remember the last time I looked at them, if ever.

The bit in bold is why I think the handicap system should bias towards lower handicap players.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I go out to play my best every time. If on that day my score is the best then I win but I don't go out with a "must win" attitude. By default if I shoot a good score then handicap changes take care of themselves irrespective of where I finish. I agree that in the scheme of things a monthly medal or stableford means bugger all but it is nice to play well in the "majors" and if you do win see your name up there. My biggest problem is I won a major in 2000, 2010, and 2020 so the next nine years look bleak

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The bit in bold is why I think the handicap system should bias towards lower handicap players.

Could I ask why?

The way I see it, no matter which way you cut it, an improving high handicapper is always likely to shoot under their handicap by a margin greater than a low handicapper is. I don't see how you could mitigate against that?

Ultimately the best golfers (for arguments sake, let's say 5 and under) are very rarely going to match a net score from someone who has just shot 6 or 7 under handicap.

How could you give bias to lower handicappers?

At our place The "majors" tend to be won by the lower cappers as, ultimately, they set out to find the best golfers in/around the club - so they're all off scratch.