How many entries on average for comps at your club and how often are they run?

Average comp field

• 0-25

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • 25-50

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • 50-75

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • 75-100

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • 100 +

Votes: 28 50.0%

• Total voters

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
We are fortunate to have comps every weekend (sat + sun) all year round due to our course being playable during the winter months, however I’ve noticed the fields for these comps feel pretty small.

Our board comps will always get a considerably larger turnout than the extra stablefords and medals but our
‘captains day’ yesterday was probably the biggest turnout I’ve witnessed so far with around 120+.

On average our board comps will field around 60.

This number is roughly the same for team events like Texas Scramble / Greensomes.

Our average Stableford / Medal comps will be around 30-40.

Todays medal fielded a poor turnout of 29 but would make sense as everyone blew their load yesterday for the captains day turnout.

For those of you that play the competitions I am interested in how often they are run and the average field that participate.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We'll have a comp most weekends, some weeks there's one Saturday and Sunday, other weekends there might be no male comps but one for the ladies. And there are always a couple of midweek comps as well. For the monthly Stableford/medal maybe get around 50 people whereas the major comps you're looking at 70-80. We're a reasonably small club though anyway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our Saturday comps have an average of 130 I'd say. Maybe slightly more but that won't be far off. The club run comps on other days that I neither play in nor take notice of so I can't really comment on those numbers, sorry.

We are a busy club, you need a fast finger when booking opens and we fill up fast.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We have a comp vast majority of weekends from April to September - mostly Saturdays with around 110-130.
It was a Sunday this time for the board comp and we had 102. Usually slightly fewer on a Sunday than a Saturday, but I think the weather forecasts put some off today.

We have a weekday medal every week from April to September with an Oder Of Merit attached to these as well.
This can vary from 25 to 55 number of entrants.

Just looked at the sheet for Captain's Day next Saturday and there are 124 with many empty slots to be filled. I expect it will be 130+ on the day.

£1 optional for the 2s sweep in all. ;)

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have regular comps but not every weekend or week.
We have a No 4 balls before 2.30 on competition days to keep round times down and the Club is very aware that many simply don't want competition golf every weekend so they can play their social 4bbb.
Most comps average 80-100, the bigger ones 120+..the recent Captain's Weekend had nearly 300 over the 2 days.
Ladies, probably, have more comps and average about 35-40

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have some sort of comp every Saturday from standard medals and stableford, to pairs formats, am/am opens, bogey comps etc. Usually 110 ish enter. Same throughout winter, sometimes different formats (scramble etc) and they also put on a winter league.

We also have a 9 & 18 hole stableford comp on all day Wednesday.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I ticked 75 to 100 because the question asked for average. Most times it will be nearer 100 than 75

For some reason there has been a big fall off on Saturday comps this summer though. Probably started when the club started to take more out of the pot for engraving etc

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
130-140 for monthly medals, 145-150 for a board comp. About 70-80 or so for a non-board monthly stableford, regardless of whether it's Saturday or Wednesday.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Every Saturday from April to October in some form or other - around 130.
One Thursday Medal per month April to October, including a Seniors Medal - around 90.
Other Thursdays and some Sundays in summer we have Stablefords that people can enter when they arrive - numbers can vary from 20 - 70.
In winter, apart from Winter League (matchplay) and the odd team competition, it's social golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I ticked 75-100 I could have ticked any box my choice was based upon Saturday monthly medal and Seniors Monday comp.

We have a comp on nearly everyday of the week (different days on different weeks) and some times there are only 3 entries.

I also ticked from the men's perspective. The ladies have far fewer in their comps.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Wednesday and Saturday comps every week of the year. Few bonus ones around Xmas too.

Fields vary - some events are larger - but usually around 70 players at the weekend and midweek around the same but sometimes less.

Springveldt

Visit site
Our Saturday comps have an average of 130 I'd say. Maybe slightly more but that won't be far off. The club run comps on other days that I neither play in nor take notice of so I can't really comment on those numbers, sorry.

We are a busy club, you need a fast finger when booking opens and we fill up fast.
Sunday and Wednesday the sweeps normally have around 70 or so I think. I haven't played the Sunday one in ages but I normally play in the Wednesday one and it can range from around 60-90 entries.

There is also the seniors comp on a Thursday and the Friday Night Nine's league which runs for maybe 20 weeks? I've never played in it though, no chance I can get out for 9 holes on a Friday.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sunday and Wednesday the sweeps normally have around 70 or so I think. I haven't played the Sunday one in ages but I normally play in the Wednesday one and it can range from around 60-90 entries.

There is also the seniors comp on a Thursday and the Friday Night Nine's league which runs for maybe 20 weeks? I've never played in it though, no chance I can get out for 9 holes on a Friday.
It's annoying isn't it. Ladies day fills the daytime slots (yes, yes, I do get the irony of a man complaining about this), the 9's fill the early evening. Friday is a write off despite it being quite a good day to nick off work early.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The 108 for yesterdays board comp is typical for a Sunday board comp or medal. Saturday board comps and medals tend to have maybe a dozen more enter.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's annoying isn't it. Ladies day fills the daytime slots (yes, yes, I do get the irony of a man complaining about this), the 9's fill the early evening. Friday is a write off despite it being quite a good day to nick off work early.
The club doesn't reserve tee times for the 9s, so it's still possible to get a slot for a casual game. They also release any tee times which were reserved for the ladies but not taken. I've just had a look for this Friday, there are half a dozen empty tee times between 3pm and 5pm, and loads after 6pm.

The seniors sweep on a Thursday usually has 40-50 playing in it.