Do you or have you volunteered your services to your club?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Westerham only want our help on divoting and pitchmark duty, two or three times a year. I've done that every year for the last 4 years.

I also ran the Men's Team section (between 8 - 12 friendlies from April to Oct) for 3 years, so that meant a seat on the committee, meeting every other month, and then was offered Vice Captaincy in 2012, taking over as Captain in April 2013.

So I've done a fair bit in the 7 years I've been there.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Loads & loads.

Scorer at scratch am events. Refereed am's & pro's matchplay semi's and finals. Divoting parties. Raked bunkers at silly o'clock before county finals. Starter. JLO for several years. Ran various club teams. Chairman of House. Chairman of h'caps. Chairman of comps. greens committee. Captain. Worked in the pro shop at busy times. Sold raffle tickets and bingo cards... and as of the end of last year I'm having a rest.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Certainly been part of a team clearing up after the likes of the recent storms - at a couple of clubs.

Supervision by Green-keepers, which is where an appreciation of what they can/can't achieve has come from.

Encourage all the moaning members to help maintain the course, in conjunction with Greenies, and the moaning magically disappears! And a small incentive, such as a free Visitor's Pass, makes it much easier to encourage participation!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Loads & loads.

Scorer at scratch am events. Refereed am's & pro's matchplay semi's and finals. Divoting parties. Raked bunkers at silly o'clock before county finals. Starter. JLO for several years. Ran various club teams. Chairman of House. Chairman of h'caps. Chairman of comps. greens committee. Captain. Worked in the pro shop at busy times. Sold raffle tickets and bingo cards... and as of the end of last year I'm having a rest.
I now wish I could take back my "I've done a fair bit" comment... Hobbit, that's an awesome contribution!

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been helping out with the juniors for the past couple of years,went on a 2 day training course last year,also help out the greenkepper sometimes , painted fences ,even cooked meals for some competitions.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I took on the role of Competitions secretary for this season and so far im loving it...
The amount of work thats going on behind closed doors that a lot of members dont see is something that should be seen at all clubs...

I think if members knew only half of what was happening they may have a different opinion on issues...

Also last weekend after a week of storm i volunteered to a days tree planting.. We planted 3oo young trees and it was a greeat day out...

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At my previous club a friend of mine worked for the NHS and the club was ideally situated in the middle of 4 main towns/cities to hold meetings. I set the meeting up with the manager who was very poor with hospitality towards her and pretty much unprofessional considering the amount of business she was bringing. He saw the figures and his eyes lit up but it had a condition that the room to be used needed updating with fresh lick of paint and new blinds, which he didn't do. The business then went to another golf club who from the April to December got £70,000 from her. Just bewildering they could lose that amount of money in today's climate. I tried to help the club with photos of the course for web site purposes and entice more people to come and pay green fees but they wanted it for nothing. I'm now at a new club who are in the process of updating website, publications and course photos hung inside the club house from myself.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As in previous years I have offered my services to the new Lady Captain as a gentleman member mentor/partner for new Lady members :)

I stopped reading just before the word "mentor" thinking "I don't want to know any more..."

Have done very little compared to some/most. A bit of professional advice and some refereeing (which some may think surprising). We don't do divot days - must find out why not.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Re pitchmarks.
My club have a system where members 'adopt a green' for pitch mark repairs.
Works very well.
Done alphabetically [eg A&B's 1st green, U-W 18th green]

Super idea.

Came across that years ago at Woodlands Manor, pitch marks and re-rake any bunkers that needed it, worked really well, wonder if it is still done there and why it isn't at many other places?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Re pitchmarks.
My club have a system where members 'adopt a green' for pitch mark repairs.
Works very well.
Done alphabetically [eg A&B's 1st green, U-W 18th green]

Can you expand on this, is it a case of when your passing in your game you repair all the pitch marks, which I tend to do anyway, or, do you walk to it periodically and do them and rake the bunkers?

I think the greens staff would have to do a demo on raking, some of the efforts I see are horrendous with sand banked up right against the edges and nothing left in the middle!

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can you expand on this, is it a case of when your passing in your game you repair all the pitch marks, which I tend to do anyway, or, do you walk to it periodically and do them and rake the bunkers?

I think the greens staff would have to do a demo on raking, some of the efforts I see are horrendous with sand banked up right against the edges and nothing left in the middle![/QUOTE]

The old raking a bit of sand on the way out of the bunker trick. Does my nut in! Then they moan saying the sand in the bunkers has gone down! :angry: