Playing on two cards in 4bbb

scottyc

Visit site
My club has always offered the opportunity in fourball comps if a four all can’t be formed then 1 person in a three ball can play on 2 cards.

I’ve always thought this was a bit weird and possibly against the spirit of the rules but acknowledged that it’s a good way to allow them to still play in the comp and some extra income for the club.

But with the new WHS rules allowing acceptable scores when they score 42 points, it could potentially mean that both cards need the score added to the record. It’s not possible to input both scores to the computer.

I pointed this out that this shouldn’t be allowed, an announcement went out and obviously people aren’t happy because they won’t be bothered to try and mix with others or move tee times.

So do any other clubs do this, and is it even allowed either by the rules of golf or for handicapping?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I thinks it’s a good way to allow participation and it’s up to the Committee in charge to set the terms.
The handicapping issues are, imo, irrelevant to the competition itself.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It wouldn't qualify as a WHS handicap score but there is no reason why the club can't run it as a simple prize competition

scottyc

Visit site
It wouldn't qualify as a WHS handicap score but there is no reason why the club can't run it as a simple prize competition
Is that the full competition?

Isn’t the purpose of this change to stop people only winning non handicap acceptable comps and not getting cut?

So provided the course is set up correctly then acceptable comps should always be played.

D-S

Visit site
Definition in the Rules of Golf of Fourball

“A form of play where sides of two partners compete, with each player playing their own ball. A side's score for a hole is the lower score of the two partners on that hole.”

As it does not mention one player competing simultaneously with two other partners, my view is that your style of competition does not meet the definition of a Fourball.

Acceptable scores must always be played by the Rules of Golf.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Devil's advocate here - what part of the definition is not met? Each side has two players, just that one of them is common. And I presume that "acceptable scores" only pertain to handicapping, not the competition itself?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The player playing in both pairs could play his shots for one pair to inform his shots for the other pair. Especially possible when the score of one ‘pair’ is looking good whilst that of the other is poor.

Swango1980

Visit site
If my club allowed that, I would look to get a 3 ball together, and make sure at least one of them is an in form / improving golfer who has recently shot a lot of good scores. That way, we get him to be the one playing on 2 cards. Far better than getting a 4 ball, but with one player who has been poor of late.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The player playing in both pairs could play his shots for one pair to inform his shots for the other pair. Especially possible when the score of one ‘pair’ is looking good whilst that of the other is poor.
But he's only playing one ball? His score with that ball counts for two sides.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Can’t the individual just play as their own team, just without a partner?

I have had to do this in a 4BBB match when my partner got stuck in traffic.

D-S

Visit site

Seems more sensible, the three ball would appear to have 2 goes each at winning which seems a bit unfair.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
On reflection rule 23.4 permits this format but the player on their own only has one score.

The side may be represented by one partner during all or any part of a round. It is not necessary for both partners to be present or, if present, for both to play on each hole.​

And I suppose that player's score would count as they would have come in on 9 holes etc.

scottyc

Visit site

Yeah but you would have little chance unless you could play off 100% so no one would bother and they get upset if they can’t play. Not sure if the software would allow for that.

We checked with the county who were not much help and just said they’ve never heard of it done before and no clarification on rules of golf or handicapping.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It seems vey straightforward to me. The Rules cater for one partner playing on his own in a four ball and rulefan has quoted the relevant Rule above but not, however, for one player playing two balls to get two scores. There is, however, nothing to stop a club setting up a competition that does not conform to the Rules (think Scrambles for isntance).
Since it is a condition for a score to be achieved within the Rules for it to be an acceptable score for handicapping, a single player playing two balls does not have an acceptable score, a single player playing one ball does and the partners in the normal sides of two do.

D-S

Visit site
It seems vey straightforward to me. The Rules cater for one partner playing on his own in a four ball and rulefan has quoted the relevant Rule above but not, however, for one player playing two balls to get two scores. There is, however, nothing to stop a club setting up a competition that does not conform to the Rules (think Scrambles for isntance).
Since it is a condition for a score to be achieved within the Rules for it to be an acceptable score for handicapping, a single player playing two balls does not have an acceptable score, a single player playing one ball does and the partners in the normal sides of two do.
I don’t think it is a player playing two balls, it is just that his/her score goes down on two cards.

PaulMdj

Visit site
The 2 ball play together, the single plays 1 ball on his own, at the end of the round toss a coin or have a nuetral pick A or B.

Then make up the 2nd card, that way the 2nd 2 ball score is random.