Name in gold on board comps

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
People who worry about seeing their name displayed on a golf club board must lead very empty sad lives, IMO of course..

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
People who worry about seeing their name displayed on a golf club board must lead very empty sad lives, IMO of course..

Ive only been playing 18 months or so but I see it as something to aim for in the future.

Me and my old man are determined to win a pairs comp together one day! Would be great to see our names beside each other on the board for years to come!

Leftitshort

Visit site
Could I ask why?

The way I see it, no matter which way you cut it, an improving high handicapper is always likely to shoot under their handicap by a margin greater than a low handicapper is. I don't see how you could mitigate against that?

Ultimately the best golfers (for arguments sake, let's say 5 and under) are very rarely going to match a net score from someone who has just shot 6 or 7 under handicap.

How could you give bias to lower handicappers?

At our place The "majors" tend to be won by the lower cappers as, ultimately, they set out to find the best golfers in/around the club - so they're all off scratch.
I suspect because their variable scores have a lower tolerance, in most cases ?
@HomerJSimpson always the vets to look forward to ?

Leftitshort

Visit site
I go out to play my best every time. If on that day my score is the best then I win but I don't go out with a "must win" attitude. By default if I shoot a good score then handicap changes take care of themselves irrespective of where I finish. I agree that in the scheme of things a monthly medal or stableford means bugger all but it is nice to play well in the "majors" and if you do win see your name up there. My biggest problem is I won a major in 2000, 2010, and 2020 so the next nine years look bleak
It’s not majors/board comps I have an issue with it’s the sheer amount. 4 men’s majors in pro golf, there’s about 35 at my club

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wasn’t a point about winning, just the fixation on having your name up on a board. Win the monthly stableford by all means, doesn’t mean it has to be recorded for all history. recognise achievement, not relative achievement. That’s the point. I’m never going to win a scratch comp, but I’d be ok with our boards being reduced. I’m on 3 of them, can’t remember the last time I looked at them, if ever.
I wasn’t the best golfer that day, just the best golfer relative to handicap.
I’ll play to try and get better, I don’t understand any other mindset

The only board I would have been on at my old club (I think) if they hadn't have got rid of them wasn't even a proper comp, it was a net eclectic thing throughout the year. Didn't even know I was close to it until they said so about a week or two before the end of the season. Why on earth would you have a board for that, it's not even a proper competition? :ROFLMAO: Not complaining as I got a prize for it, but still weird to have a board for a comp that isn't even a comp it's just like, general play across a year.

Leftitshort

Visit site
The only board I would have been on at my old club (I think) if they hadn't have got rid of them wasn't even a proper comp, it was a net eclectic thing throughout the year. Didn't even know I was close to it until they said so about a week or two before the end of the season. Why on earth would you have a board for that, it's not even a proper competition? :ROFLMAO: Not complaining as I got a prize for it, but still weird to have a board for a comp that isn't even a comp it's just like, general play across a year.
My point exactly. Did you get cut glass tumbler!! If not you want one!
Dont get me started on prizes for 2nd place!!
Our winter league board has the runners up on!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My point exactly. Did you get cut glass tumbler!! If not you want one!
Dont get me started on prizes for 2nd place!!
Our winter league board has the runners up on!!
I definitely think there are too many boards in a lot of clubs. Especially when another 20-30 years goes by and every comp will have an additional board as they keep adding to it. You're just not going to have room. It should just be the bigger once a year comps and that's it, so your Club Champs, Captain's Day etc... like 6 or 7 comps maximum. Having boards for everything except the monthly Stableford just cheapens the achievement of getting on one really.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have never worried about it…but I will strive to have my name on another board if I can manage it. I will be a bit disappointed if that doesn’t happen before I leave the club (which eventually I assume that I will as we will most likely move from the area) but only because it will mean that I didn’t win another of the most significant club comps.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our club has the older style wooden boards with gold lettering. We don't have lots of them, and they have recently been rearranged to one wall in the club after them previously being dotted around a little haphazardly. I've got my name on a couple of them as a winner, and it's nice to see them there (my life isn't sad by the way).
We have a separate larger board as you enter the clubhouse which lists all the Captains since we formed in 1922. Again, it looks nice as you walk through the door. None of it is "in your face" but I think they add a certain character to the club. It is nice to see some of the names on the board, especially those of people you have known and met in the club. It also does no harm. There are no plans (as far as I am aware) to replace or remove them.