Mere GC, Knutsford GC

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
First of all, apologies. Golf course reviews without pictures are a bit disappointing but on day 1 it rained and day 2 it was busy and so stopping to take photos was not really on.

I went for a golfing weekend with my son down to Cheshire. Mere was always going to be the main course, we needed one other. Originally, based on recommendations from @Junior I was going to book Lymm or Wilmslow but neither would allow booking in advance further than 7 days away. I didn't want to take the risk of being left without a course so he recommended Knutsford as well. It's a 9 hole course, running alongside Tatton Park. Very pretty course, nice holes, well kept, pleasant and modern clubhouse. Very enjoyable. As we walked back to our car we walked alongside Tatton and were up close and personal with 5-6 big deer, really big deer. Pretty tame, the didn't move at the sight of people. Wonderful animals, lovely to see.

We stayed over in Lymm, plenty of pubs and places to eat.

On Monday we played at Mere. As a kid growing up nearby Mere was the glamour course of the area. I didn't play golf back then but it was frequently in the local paper for hosting charity comps with footballers and tv stars, remember the days of Granada? Looking forward to playing it, I have to say I was not disappointed. It's a hotel, spa and golf course but this isn't one where the hotel scrimp on the golf. Quite the opposite. Lovely setting, around the Mere / Lake, with some monster footballer houses. Separate bar area for golf, fabulous terrace, all looking out over the mere. The first few holes follow the edge of the Mere but then you move up and away from it. Still a very nice setting though. The course was beautifully kept, fabulous greens in stunning condition considering the weather we have had. It's a James Braid course so anyone who has played one will know some of the design tricks. The last 4-5 holes in particular were strong, ending with a dog leg on the last capturing the terrace, hotel, big trees, the mere all in view. Great finish.

I'd highly recommend playing Mere, just a very enjoyable course, setting, the lot. I will certainly play there again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it mate. Did Dunham get back to you ?
I can't remember to be honest. I made all of the bookings a couple of months ago and the details of those I couldn't play went a bit hazy 😄 .

We watched the football, Liverpool v Spurs, in The Golden Fleece. Mmmm o_O. Some professional drinkers in that pub :oops:

Really loved Mere, will definitely be back.

D

Deleted member 1147

Good to know it was in good nick, good course etc as we have our captains away weekend there in a couple of weeks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't remember to be honest. I made all of the bookings a couple of months ago and the details of those I couldn't play went a bit hazy 😄 .

We watched the football, Liverpool v Spurs, in The Golden Fleece. Mmmm o_O. Some professional drinkers in that pub :oops:

Really loved Mere, will definitely be back.
I like Mere but did you try Prestbury or Sandiway. .
Stockport is very good as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like Mere but did you try Prestbury or Sandiway. .
Stockport is very good as well.
I briefly looked at Prestbury, Sandiway and Delamere (you didn't mention there but I did before someone else did 😄). Basically budget reasons 🤷‍♂️. I was paying for the whole trip, you have to draw a line somewhere.

It was always going to be Mere plus one other. The other needed to be a little more modest. Hopefully we will revisit the area again and tick those other courses off at some point.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I briefly looked at Prestbury, Sandiway and Delamere (you didn't mention there but I did before someone else did 😄). Basically budget reasons 🤷‍♂️. I was paying for the whole trip, you have to draw a line somewhere.

It was always going to be Mere plus one other. The other needed to be a little more modest. Hopefully we will revisit the area again and tick those other courses off at some point.
Your welcome to come play my club either on your way down or home.

IanMcC

Visit site
Mere was a great choice. Sandiway, Delamere Forest or Dunham Forest easy to pick as the second, but if on a budget these would be out of reach.
I would suggest Vicars Cross or Eaton in the Chester area as good, reasonable alternatives.