Boards in clubhouse

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of our group has a bit of a bee in his bonnet about the competition boards at our club and the fact they aren’t updated in a timely fashion, some for a few years. I think that the boards are old fashioned and no-one notices them anyway. The clubhouse is fairly new and has a modern interior but the boards are the traditional dark wood with gold lettering and I think they should be removed, or at Leat thinned out - there must be 20+.
Does your club still have boards on show, and if so, what is the design?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
One of our group has a bit of a bee in his bonnet about the competition boards at our club and the fact they aren’t updated in a timely fashion, some for a few years. I think that the boards are old fashioned and no-one notices them anyway. The clubhouse is fairly new and has a modern interior but the boards are the traditional dark wood with gold lettering and I think they should be removed, or at Leat thinned out - there must be 20+.
Does your club still have boards on show, and if so, what is the design?

We’ve got hundreds of them. Mostly for seniors and ladies comps who seem to have a board comp every week. But they are modern clear acrylic ones which suit the clubhouse.

Can’t say I’ve ever stopped to read any of them.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Home course is new & the 'boards' are silver with black lettering on the wall of the walkway to the changing rooms

I'd imagine it'd be a wrench for some old clubs to remove their visible history and even more so for the old traditional clubs with leather chairs & green bankers lamps (do these clubs still exist)

But if you're gonna have them, keep them up to date otherwise the club are just saying 'we don't value the boards or their content' so its an easy decision to do away with them

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I am sure Ave mentioned it before, but ours are A4 sheets of paper updated every year courtesy of an Epsom printer. Which are then put in a Wilkinson Picture frame. Suffice to say they look Rammel.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Loads of boards, old fashioned dark wood. Absolute white noise to me and I suspect most others. I'd definitely advocate a less is more approach and I'd thin them out to 4-5 at most. Ideally with a more modern look, I find the dark wood oppressive and gloomy.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Our "members" bar was full of old, up-to-date boards made of wood with gold lettering. When our new chair was appointed one of the first things that happened was a modernisation of our perfectly adequate bar, It appears he wanted something to match his golfing trousers. We ended up with a very modern looking bar minus competition boards.

The directors tried to sell it to us, but there was a mass outcry and so as a compromise, and to match the new bar they acquired modern plastic boards, no class at all.

As for looking at them. I occasionally stop and have a look at the ones I'm on;)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The old dark wood boards give a gloomy feel, but I love to see them, it gives the place a real sense of history. Every club should have these displayed somewhere. Maybe not in the main room of the clubhouse anymore but maybe the changing room area.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We have light oak and letraset boards. Most major comps are represented but since the bar area and function room have been rennovated, they sit in the "old bar" which is little more than a bare room now that serves as a corridor into the main bar. The boards have not been updated since covid whilst we wait for the owners to decide what the long term plan is for the old bar area. To be honest...they look a mess as different folks in the past have used different fonts and they need ripping out and replacing.

A lot of our named comps are not represented on the boards and several now defunct comps are shown (we are not an old club....30yrs)...I personally think we would be best served by just three or fours boards showing Club Captains and Club Champions

Generally I think such boards are important and represent a lot about the history of most clubs and love looking at them when I visit other clubs....tracing the history of who won what....e.g. bloke is Club champion for a few years then doesn't win it for several years then pops up again....then a couple of years later his name appears again in a Father/son pairs comp and then a few years later the sons name appears as Club Champion....I think looking at this sort of progression is fascinating.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have a number of boards - mainly in the corridor , one meeting room and the ladies changing room

The main boards are in the main lounge - county honours , club champs and club captains etc

It’s always nice to see old and young point out either their own name or a family name to someone. It shows accomplishments and history that clubs are proud off - my daughter loves seeing my name on a board when I show it to her , in her words “ I want my name up there as well”

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Current owners removed all boards from our clubhouse about a year into their ownership.

We now have a "honours boards" section of the website with virtual boards... Its pretty terrible if I'm honest :ROFLMAO:

The trophy cabinet is displayed in the clubhouse though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My clubs in Scoland and Like Banchory, we have only a couple, Captain and Club champ(scratch) in the clubhouse entrance. There is one other on the stairs for winners of the Amateur competitions the club has held.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try being the one who has to get them updated lol, check and double check a hundred times over names are right and spelt correctly. Then the letraset printer makes one small mistake............

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Try being the one who has to get them updated lol, check and double check a hundred times over names are right and spelt correctly. Then the letraset printer makes one small mistake............
One of the funniest thinks you see is when you've had years of letter all the same size then you get the odd name that's twice the size of the others. I can only assume those were organised by the winner 🤣

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our old wooden boards were moved out of the lounge (as were all the photos of past captains etc) when the lounge was modernised.
Some were replaced with plastic ones with black lettering. The replaced ones were past captains and county honours boards in the main lounge and

Club Champions and similar, club course records in the side lounge.

Where there was room the wooden ones were hung in the hallway and al the photos were downsized and hung on boards in the hallway.

sunshine

Visit site
A hundred years of history on the boards at my club. There are a few too many, but how do you decide which ones are too trivial? The clubhouse is a 250 year old mansion so they don’t look out of place.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours are wooden cherry wood coloured with gold lettering. I think they detail the history of the comps and the members. They are updated every year.