Honour boards

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our honour boards online are a bit naff , just a simple table in word on a black and white page.

I'm thinking of jazzing them up a bit and may propose a template that looks just like a real wooden honour board with gold writing, perhaps even using one of our real boards hanging up in the clubhouse as a template.

What have you got on your website? Please post pics if you can.

This isn't ours but it's the sort of thing I had in mind ( I know it's the wrong sport lol)

honbrdbatbowlall1-1754x2480.png

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We don't have anything like this on our website, just the 3 boards in the clubhouse, ladies champ, club captain and men's club champ, both the champs are scratch comps

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A bit sadly in my view.

We modernised our lounge and one the things to go was wooden Honour boards. Now replaced with perspex see through things.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours has large wooden boards but then the names are added each year on little brass style plaques. Still looks smart and presumably much cheaper than getting a sign writer in each year.

D

Deleted member 23344

We don’t even have any in the clubhouse. I’m sure those who win trophies enjoy seeing their name on them (I certainly would), but they have always seemed a bit old fashioned to me and part of the old image of golf clubs.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Weve got some but they are not really fit for purpose anymore...list comps that are no longer played, run out of space for new names. They are light oak panels with letraset style writing....pretty easy to update...we just send off a list of years and names to a local printing company who produce the letraset sheets and we just apply them ourselves. Unfortunately the company forgot the font a few years ago so we have some years in a different font/size which looks a bit naff.

Needs a total revamp but given the fact that we've had a new bar and lounge area built during lockdown and the old bar where the boards live will be repurposed, I'm not sure there is any point in having them redone.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weve got some but they are not really fit for purpose anymore...list comps that are no longer played, run out of space for new names. They are light oak panels with letraset style writing....pretty easy to update...we just send off a list of years and names to a local printing company who produce the letraset sheets and we just apply them ourselves. Unfortunately the company forgot the font a few years ago so we have some years in a different font/size which looks a bit naff.

Needs a total revamp but given the fact that we've had a new bar and lounge area built during lockdown and the old bar where the boards live will be repurposed, I'm not sure there is any point in having them redone.

But for online/website, what honour boards if any do you have? what style are they?

We have the physical wooden honour boards on show in the clubhouse but I wondered what people are doing for their websites.

Do they actually look like real boards or just a word document? Curious because ours is the latter.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
But for online/website, what honour boards if any do you have? what style are they?

We have the physical wooden honour boards on show in the clubhouse but I wondered what people are doing for their websites.

Do they actually look like real boards or just a word document? Curious because ours is the latter.

sorry...I missed the fact that it was online.....we dont have anything fancy....just a list of competition winners over the years on one of the web pages.....

...but now i get the gist of what the thread is about....what a great idea to do something a bit fancy rather than a simple list...might suggest it at the next committee meeting!!!!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
sorry...I missed the fact that it was online.....we dont have anything fancy....just a list of competition winners over the years on one of the web pages.....

...but now i get the gist of what the thread is about....what a great idea to do something a bit fancy rather than a simple list...might suggest it at the next committee meeting!!!!!
I feel a plank now. Apologies @sawtooth I missed this as well.

In answer to the actual question, nothing.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ours are awful....

https://ravenmeadow.members-section.co.uk/page.php?page_id=321

Can you see those? - pretty rubbish but thats ours

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
On our club website - nowt.
Lounge, bar and locker room - walls are full of boards. Club was founded in 1927.
Massive task, if they were all put online. Probably won't happen.
Got my name on my first one in 1977 - most recent 2019.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We started changing ours at Pyrford whilst I was Captain last year but no idea on the progress since then. We went to the glass perspex and black sign-writing - looked damn good even if it was just because my name was there on the Captains' board :cool:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lounge, bar and locker room - walls are full of boards. Club was founded in 1927.

"Banned from the clubhouse 1977-2019" ? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The only honours lists we have on our website are Captains and Professionals in the club history section. We have honours boards aplenty in the clubhouse and I am proud to be on one of them - they are of a similar ‘gold lettering on wood‘ nature as shown.

As a member of a members club, getting that little bit of recognition was important to me as, when I joined, that simple mention would capture my membership of the club in perpetuity. And for me as unimportant as the comp won might be in the eyes of some (it was the Winter singles K/O so actually not insignificant) I frankly don’t care - it’s important to me.

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I missed the online bit.

My question is why.

Do you have a page viewed counter? Does anybody actually view them?

I don't know who currently visits the pages and the footfall but I can find that out I think. I'm sure people do visit there , I do.

It's currently only visible on the private side of the site but I think once we give it a facelift then we should perhaps consider putting it on public side.

It can't hurt if people who might be interested in joining stop by and take a look.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Can I ask which club you are a member of? The reason being that my club in Nottingham, Wollaton Park, was founded in 1927, and to my knowledge there are very few clubs, and only one other in England, that started in the same year.

We have no online information about historical competition winners. Lots of old wooden boards with gold writing in the clubhouse (my last appearance being in 1976!). I would like it to be reduced to Captains, Club Champions and winners of our Open Scratch competition called the Stag, but I suspect I am in the minority.