Abu Dhabi

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from a work conference in Abu Dhabi which included one round of golf, plus I tagged on two days to play two other courses.

Saturday we played Saadiyat Beach Golf Club which is a Troon Golf managed Gary Player designed course, Sunday was the Abu Dhabi National and Monday on Yas Links (part of the conference). I was clearly excited to be playing all three courses, there would be 8 on Saturday, 16 Sunday and 30 on the Monday.

Saadiyat - beach style, links, seaside course. Which by their website was going to deliver stunning views, plenty of bunkers and even some wildlife. What we got was a shabby course in the middle of a building site, on a boring layout with a few desert gazelles running about. The site was set up well, large range, practice area, full buggies, gift set on arrival the lot. The course was just the same hole nearly 18 times, after just 4 holes one of my group asked have we just played the same hole 4 times by mistake. The greens we're less than perfect, quite long grass, slow and bumpy. The fact that they have a full Ladies Tour event soon is worrying seeing what poor condition it was in. We played match play in our fourball is the banter wasn't hilarious and the scratch game wasn't tight (we lost 2&1) it would of been a very disappointing day.

Abu Dhabi National - Was the next ten levels up from Saadiyat. Not a blade of grass out of place, even the rough was smooth perfectly level cut and superb greens. This I enjoyed much much more. The clubhouse was something special too. What lacked here was the hospitality, no real effort put in from the club. Yeah we had buggies and welcome drink but after that, no on course drinks coming round and no cold or fresh towels delivered. What was also much different was how easy this course is, compared to other top class courses I've played. Each green had acres of space around it, presumably for the stands on the HSBC days. The 9th and 81th were both nice holes but each green was milea away from any danger. We commented that they were both the centre circle in the space of a football pitch. In fact I birdied both quite easily (11hcp) so to birdie both must mean the danger isn't there. Again, the space would look much different during the HSBC. We played stableford and I shot 33 of my 11.

Yas Links - a scottish link on the edge of a lagoon. As the saying goes out their, if you can dream it, we can build it. From every aspect the place looked liked any top links course I've played (Hillside, St Georges, RCP and a few others) but as we we're warned it doesn't play like one. This day was part of the conference, I actually sponsored it through my company, so I was expecting the hospitality to be great & I wasn't let down. We checked in on the morning and collected our allocated locker number, where we found a gold towel (branded by my company) gift bag, course planner, new glove and sleeve of pro V's all provided by the club. Breakfast was great and the club manager spent time walking the room talking to us all. He made a short intro then took us all over the range. The course itself was immaculate, not a blade of grass out of place and not broken tee in sight. As I said I was told it doesn't play links at all, it's quite soft so not as much roll etc as you'd expect. It was heavily watered to keep it green and lush so the greens and fairways we're quite soft. Each hole presented different challenges and from pot bunkers, rolling fairways and large undulating greens. They have one double green on the back 9 which we measured at 110 yards end to end. I don't think I'd get bored of playing this course for the rest of my life. The only thing that spoilt the day was the building work going on which you can't escape in this part of the world. We played stableford 3/4's and I was really happy to come 2nd with 34 points, even though I felt that I should of scored much higher, I had far too many bogeys. I feel for the bloke I played with though, playing of 20, he three putted 11 holes!

Overall the trip was great. I'd go back and play there any day, despite the 32 degree heat. Some people can't handle it and said it was too hot but I don't mind it, yes you need drink loads and make an effort to keep grips dry from sweat and your hands clean but if you do this it's still possible to have a fun day.