Boards in clubhouse

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Having just spent over £1000 having ours updated, which is done once a year, because its only the old F***ts that mither about they are a waste of space, time and money in my view.

The world has moved on

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I never actually realised how many ours had until the other week - probably about 15 - and they're all the traditional oak with gold lettering. Somewhat out of kilter with the rest of the clubhouse which is fairly modern.

I think they should be thinned out to men's and womens club championships and captains personally. Maybe one for the Wyreside which is our 36 hole Open which gets a good entry each year (limited to HI of 8).

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
At our club we have the board of Past Captains in the Entrance hall and, recently added, the Chairman of the Board of Management (voluntary position).
We have the old style gold lettering on dark wood boards for our major competition historic winners. They used to be dotted around the place but since the clubhouse has been updated, they have all been put on one wall and are not intrusive.
Does anyone really pay attention to them? I don't know, but they were important at one time to all those people who's names were put on that board and so to remove them would be a disservice to their memories.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think, in general, there are too many boards in many clubhouses
Some are for relatively ordinary events too..a mildly elevated monthly Medal or Stableford
The trouble is that they serve as the historical record of the Club..
Ours date from 1906, others will be much earlier than that and it can seem a shame to just disregard the history of the club.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Current owners removed all boards from our clubhouse about a year into their ownership.

We now have a "honours boards" section of the website with virtual boards... Its pretty terrible if I'm honest :ROFLMAO:

The trophy cabinet is displayed in the clubhouse though.
My old club was based at a public course which was run by the council. Council decided to remove all of the honours boards in the hope of marketing the clubhouse as more of an events venue. The club were furious since they weren't even consulted. History down the drain. Less than a year later the council had also priced out the caterers they had so the clubhouse sat empty for the next 3 years, couldn't even get a pint in there. So daft. Like yours, the club has PDF 'boards' on their website. It's lucky they already had them prior to the boards being taken down or that history would have been permanently lost.

My current club has the boards everywhere. Ninety per cent of them are the old wooden kind, but there are one or two glass printed ones - I think the captains one is a glass one now.

evemccc

Visit site
One of the funniest thinks you see is when you've had years of letter all the same size then you get the odd name that's twice the size of the others. I can only assume those were organised by the winner 🤣
Gary Player’s name is bigger than everyone else’s on the Claret Jug 😂

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My old club was based at a public course which was run by the council. Council decided to remove all of the honours boards in the hope of marketing the clubhouse as more of an events venue. The club were furious since they weren't even consulted. History down the drain. Less than a year later the council had also priced out the caterers they had so the clubhouse sat empty for the next 3 years, couldn't even get a pint in there. So daft. Like yours, the club has PDF 'boards' on their website. It's lucky they already had them prior to the boards being taken down or that history would have been permanently lost.

My current club has the boards everywhere. Ninety per cent of them are the old wooden kind, but there are one or two glass printed ones - I think the captains one is a glass one now.

Yeah our clubhouse is very much going the same way - they're trying to make as much money from venue hire as possible and the board don't help the aesthetic.

Owners are absolutely minted too, its such a joke :ROFLMAO:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The replies on this thread somewhat indicate that some are / want to be members of a course, and others members of a club

I play a fair bit of golf away from my club but I certainly want to be a member of a club - and not just a course

A good summary of how my place feels.

Great members - money grabbing owners!

IanMcC

Visit site
Ours are wooden cherry wood coloured with gold lettering. I think they detail the history of the comps and the members. They are updated every year.
Ours are the same, and I think they look good. They are going to be updated soon with a more modern board. I hope all of the history is still kept up there, but I fear that some will be lost.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
One of the funniest thinks you see is when you've had years of letter all the same size then you get the odd name that's twice the size of the others. I can only assume those were organised by the winner 🤣

Just wait until the winner decides to get a trophy engraved off his own back....and doesnt realise that the trophy is not up to date.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The replies on this thread somewhat indicate that some are / want to be members of a course, and others members of a club

I play a fair bit of golf away from my club but I certainly want to be a member of a club - and not just a course

I get where you're coming from but I've played in some of the events which are essentially elevated medal comps and I played them with blokes who'd been there 50 years or so. When I mentioned it was the Griffin salver (one of the board comps) they said "oh is it?". The point I'm trying to make is that if the older heads who've seen a lot of the history at the club don't place much emphasis on certain comps any more you have to question its relevance as a board comp.

As an aside I found it absolutely fascinating playing with these gents. They gave me so much background on the course over the years and how it has changed, where certain holes used to be, how the club was offered an old Manor house along our 13th as a clubhouse but they rejected it, and that the fields around the bottom end of our course are actually owned by the club but they've never had the cash to turn them into holes etc. Probably one of my most enjoyable rounds that one.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just in last few weeks we have had the calligrapher in hand-painting in gold lettering winners names for season 2022-23 on our oak comp boards. I am proud to have had my name added to our a Winter Singles K/O Board…for the 2nd time. I am also proud and feel privileged to be a member of my club and truly value the recognition the club gives winners in becoming a visible written part of the club‘s history. If I didn’t consider golf and the club in the way I do, then the boards might well be largely meaningless.

These main boards are scattered through the clubhouse ground floor - other comp boards are simple framed typed up and are on our staircase wall.

When I visit a club I enjoy casting my eye over their winners boards if they are handily positioned - looking for common, possible family, names and connections…it just gives me a little feel for the club, it’s history and it’s membership.

Last edited:

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have a large number of wooden boards with the gold lettering, but I wouldn't want them removed as my name is on one of them!

As for the framed photos of past Captain's in the entrance hall going back decades I thinI could live withthem.out k

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We have a large number of wooden boards with the gold lettering, but I wouldn't want them removed as my name is on one of them!

As for the framed photos of past Captain's in the entrance hall going back decades I thinI could live without them.
I'd agree with that. The boards are reflective of the achievements of members at a club. I have never been that impressed by photos of all the old captains at clubs that have them up. But I would keep the boards. They do reflect some of the history of the club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd agree with that. The boards are reflective of the achievements of members at a club. I have never been that impressed by photos of all the old captains at clubs that have them up. But I would keep the boards. They do reflect some of the history of the club.
We had framed A4-size photos of ladies and gents captains of many decades above the picture rail around the walls of one of our lounges. They were taken down year or so ago and two large framed collection of small photos hung on the wall of the staircase from our entrance hall. I think that was the right thing to do.

Last edited:

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ours are along the wall that leads to the changing rooms, traditional wood boards with gold letting. In fact I'm waiting for my name to show up on one for the first time, I won the Captain's Day pairs comp last year.