Andy Murray Retiring Soon

D

Deleted Member 1156

I can end this right here, right now.
His name was Max Woosnam ................................. the end!

He was an Olympic gold and silver medallist (at tennis), Davis Cup captain, Wimbledon champion; captain of Manchester City, captain of England's amateur football side and (still as an amateur) of the professional XI as well, played for Corinthians in Brazil; he scored a century at Lord's against the MCC, played golf off scratch and (almost incidentally) was a fiendish table-tennis player and, in retirement, became an expert snooker player, scoring a 147 maximum break.
Oh, he was a heavy smoker his whole life!

I think that top trumps everyone else.
Thanks for that, I was trying to remember his name.
His achievements really take some beating! 👍

U

User62651

We can surely all agree that he was beyond boring though can’t we?......and he looked like he had a cooking apple stuck in his throat!

Djokovic, Nadal, Sampras....not exactly the life and soul of a party either, tough on the court but dull off it seems to be the way of tennis pros. Murray was fairly fiery on the court to be fair, usually when losing;).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Over and out for Murray. Will we see him on a court again. I can understand the desire to bow out at Wimbledon but according to BBC Breakfast, his doctor has advised him against playing so will today be his last game. If so a fantastic effort from two love down to force it into a fifth and I guess the lack of match practice and the injury were the deciding factors.

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not anti Andy but I'm glad he lost. I am very disappointed by his media management of the decision to retire. Most of all I think that it's profoundly unfair to his opponent. Not least for the effect of sentiment on the crowd's behaviour. Similarly, today's opponent had to try and make sense of the message that Murray is on his last legs whilst being on the receiving end of aces and winners - it's got to be off-putting. I think that he should have used his considerable and admirable personal determination to carry on playing until he knew that it was the end and then announced his retirement.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Already had the major op I’m afraid - shame though , hopefully he can get to Wimbledon

"If I want to go again, I'll need to have a big operation, which there's no guarantee I'll be able to come back from anyway, but I'll give it my best shot." Andy Murray today.

Like Tiger last few years, more ops in the offering if needed. Just whether he wants to do it or not.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just watched the last two points he lost in final set, he certainly was fighting to try and turn the game over.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On todays showing, even it takes another op, still feel he has much to offer... Not sure he's ready to throw in the towel just yet...
Depends on his future health though. He doesn't want to end up with replacing his hips every 10 years, struggling to get out of bed, not able to play with his kids etc. I don't know how shot his hips are but he has to factor in the rest of his life.

There is no question about his desire in my eyes.

D

Deleted member 1418

Incredibly brave and heroic performance today from not Britain's Greatest Sportsperson!

If that is indeed the last we see of him on court in competitive action then what a way to bow out. The tribute at the end from his fellow pros was very moving.

Hope he makes it to Wimbledon - what a send off he'll get there.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Personally I hope he calls it quits. To be brutally honest, even if he has the op and regains fitness that’s probably two years awayto get sharp again, if we use Tiger as as an example (I know different sports). In a sport that age is more pressing I don’t really see him ever getting back to the level required to win again.

I can see why Tiger would come back as he still feels he can chase down Jack, but what is Murray really going to add to his legacy? Better be fit for your family than add a few more semis to your honours list.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before anyone mentions Federer's age you have to look at his style of play to realise he is different. Federer is balletic and glides across a court. His style of play is smooth. Murray is more jerky, harder on his joints, although not as brutal as Nadal who is surely going to end up in trouble long term. That is not a criticism of Murray, more an observation and admiration of Federer.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Before anyone mentions Federer's age you have to look at his style of play to realise he is different. Federer is balletic and glides across a court. His style of play is smooth. Murray is more jerky, harder on his joints, although not as brutal as Nadal who is surely going to end up in trouble long term. That is not a criticism of Murray, more an observation and admiration of Federer.

I think a lot of players could have issues in the future. Sets are longer now than in the past. With a lot more base line rally’s with the extra pressure that puts on joints it’s inevitable more will succumb imo.

Federer started in the serve and volley era, the fact he’s managed to adapt and beat the new style and then won again reverting to a more direct style shows why he truly is the GOAT and would have dominated any era in tennis.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Feel he has lived the dream and loved every minute... Not sure he's quite ready to let go just yet... I am sure he'll be talking to his family as well as getting the best medical advice before he finally calls it a day... Not sure he finds playing doubles quite as fulfilling but would make a great coach...

D

Deleted member 15344

It also helps that Federer and Nadals issue were with knees which can be fixed to a good strength as opposed to Murray which is his hip which for a tennis player is near on career ending

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It also helps that Federer and Nadals issue were with knees which can be fixed to a good strength as opposed to Murray which is his hip which for a tennis player is near on career ending

I'm not a doctor but I worry about the impact on Nadal's knees. If you watch him play he really pounds them and I don't see how long term he can not be in real trouble. I'm amazed he came back from his last lay off.

Federer is just so light on his feet in comparison, he would not mark sand if he walked on it :)