Andy Murray Retiring Soon

U

User62651

I'm not a doctor but I worry about the impact on Nadal's knees. If you watch him play he really pounds them and I don't see how long term he can not be in real trouble. I'm amazed he came back from his last lay off.

Federer is just so light on his feet in comparison, he would not mark sand if he walked on it :)

Re Goat I guess we have to give it to Fed for now BUT Nadal is only 3 grand slams behind whilst 5 years younger and on head to heads Nadal is way better, leading 23-15 including 9-3 in majors. Very easy to make a case for Nadal but the luvvies just cant see past poster boy Fed.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Re Goat I guess we have to give it to Fed for now BUT Nadal is only 3 grand slams behind whilst 5 years younger and on head to heads Nadal is way better, leading 23-15 including 9-3 in majors. Very easy to make a case for Nadal but the luvvies just cant see past poster boy Fed.

Nadal is my favourite of all time. I just think that Federer has in the past played the more enjoyable tennis. I’d be amazed if Nadal gets to play 5 years longer than Federer though tbh.

Re the head to head, strange as it may sound but Federers all round game could be a contributing factor. Of the 38 meetings. 14 have been on clay. Nadal has that 12-2. As we all know Nadal is almost unbeatable on clay. So Federer is always likely to meet him on that surface and enhance his record, where as others can beat Nadal on hard and grass meaning Federer doesn’t always get to face him in those surfaces.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I simply don't think he feels he can go through another operation, with no guarantee of it being much better (from what I heard the problem won't ever be fixed 100%) all the rehab and battle to get back and get back to a standard he'll be happy with. No shame in calling it a day as a result. I imagine he'll try to get to Wimbledon and bow out there. You're a long time retired and so he has to think of his family and the future. I hope the comeback today won't cloud him and he goes for the op and tries to plod on. It does remind me of the way Seve finished his ET career with his bad back

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Heroic effort from Britain's greatest ever sportsman.

Today should be declared a national holiday from next year on.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can end this right here, right now.
His name was Max Woosnam ................................. the end!

He was an Olympic gold and silver medallist (at tennis), Davis Cup captain, Wimbledon champion; captain of Manchester City, captain of England's amateur football side and (still as an amateur) of the professional XI as well, played for Corinthians in Brazil; he scored a century at Lord's against the MCC, played golf off scratch and (almost incidentally) was a fiendish table-tennis player and, in retirement, became an expert snooker player, scoring a 147 maximum break.
Oh, he was a heavy smoker his whole life!

I think that top trumps everyone else.

But to put that in context, the football and cricket part of it was as part of a team sport so that can be dismissed. Golf is elitist, table tennis isn't a proper sport and snooker is a pub game so that doesn't count either. And what you're left with is an Olympic Gold medal at tennis (which Murray can match), an Olympic silver medal at tennis (not actually a winner but first loser so that doesn't count), Davis Cup captain (did he win it single handedly as Murray did?) and Wimbledon Champion (Murray has got that twice?). So therefore Murray is better.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
But to put that in context, the football and cricket part of it was as part of a team sport so that can be dismissed. Golf is elitist, table tennis isn't a proper sport and snooker is a pub game so that doesn't count either. And what you're left with is an Olympic Gold medal at tennis (which Murray can match), an Olympic silver medal at tennis (not actually a winner but first loser so that doesn't count), Davis Cup captain (did he win it single handedly as Murray did?) and Wimbledon Champion (Murray has got that twice?). So therefore Murray is better.

Oy, his two Olympic medals were won ON THE SAME DAY and he was a scratch golfer with several course records.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can play tennis on dodgy school courts or municipal courts but to play it properly you have to join a club in this country. At that point it becomes as elitist as golf, perhaps more so as, sticking my neck out here, my perception is that there are far more golf clubs out there than tennis clubs.
Sorry, just catching up the last 4 pages and picked this as one example of many posts about 'elitism' in tennis. I'm very surprised to hear that is many people's views. Back in primary school a tennis coaching academy came into the school and asked if anyone wanted to sign up to tennis. I did so. We used to have a tennis lesson after school in the week, and then later I went to coaching sessions on the weekend, which I'm sure I remember only being about 6 quid for an hour's group coaching. I did this all the way through my teens until I got a bit older and gave it up for other pursuits. Don't understand the elitism comments at all.

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sorry, just catching up the last 4 pages and picked this as one example of many posts about 'elitism' in tennis. I'm very surprised to hear that is many people's views. Back in secondary school a tennis coaching academy came into the school and asked if anyone wanted to sign up to tennis. I did so. We used to have a tennis lesson after school in the week, and then later I went to coaching sessions on the weekend, which I'm sure I remember only being about 6 quid for an hour's group coaching. I did this all the way through my teens until I got a bit older and gave it up for other pursuits. Don't understand the elitism comments at all.

Was it just an after school fun activity? Or were there some decent players who then went for one to one? Lots of courses in our area now do kids golf group lessons for peanuts too. But if you want to pursue it properly the costs escalate quickly. As it does with tennis also.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was it just an after school fun activity? Or were there some decent players who then went for one to one? Lots of courses in our area now do kids golf group lessons for peanuts too. But if you want to pursue it properly the costs escalate quickly. As it does with tennis also.
When I went to the weekend coaching, there were levels of ability so you would go up and down depending on who good you were. The guys at the top level had one on one coaching and a select few were entered onto the national tournaments and that I think. I was never good enough for any of that, I think I only moved between the 2nd and 3rd levels.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, just catching up the last 4 pages and picked this as one example of many posts about 'elitism' in tennis. I'm very surprised to hear that is many people's views. Back in secondary school a tennis coaching academy came into the school and asked if anyone wanted to sign up to tennis. I did so. We used to have a tennis lesson after school in the week, and then later I went to coaching sessions on the weekend, which I'm sure I remember only being about 6 quid for an hour's group coaching. I did this all the way through my teens until I got a bit older and gave it up for other pursuits. Don't understand the elitism comments at all.
Perhaps it was a regional thing and you were in a good area. Perhaps I was in a bad area? I can only go off my own experiences but if they are not reflective then I am pleased to hear it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
When I went to the weekend coaching, there were levels of ability so you would go up and down depending on who good you were. The guys at the top level had one on one coaching and a select few were entered onto the national tournaments and that I think. I was never good enough for any of that, I think I only moved between the 2nd and 3rd levels.
That’s what I’d expect. Nice and cheap and fun for the masses. Then the select few if they wanted to go anywhere with it would need extra (at extra expense). As was discussed on here, tennis was easily accessible to play for fun but just as elitist (expensive) to pursue properly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s what I’d expect. Nice and cheap and fun for the masses. Then the select few if they wanted to go anywhere with it would need extra (at extra expense). As was discussed on here, tennis was easily accessible to play for fun but just as elitist (expensive) to pursue properly.
Yeah, I suppose so. It probably helps if your mum is already a tennis coach (as with Murray).

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
From commentary this morning it would appear AndyM has elected to have similiar surgery as Bob Bryan...

Can only continue to wish him well and hope to see him able to play again in the future...

U

User62651

From commentary this morning it would appear AndyM has elected to have similiar surgery as Bob Bryan...

Can only continue to wish him well and hope to see him able to play again in the future...

Begs the question why could he not have weighed this decision up before all the premature 'I'm finished this year' tears and media stuff last week? Bit odd.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Having had both hips resurfaced and knowing how good the outcome, and having played competitive tennis for 10 years before finding golf, I really do wish Andy the very best for the future

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good that he's had the operation, but do we really think a) he can fully recover in time for Wimbledon and b) he'll manage to regain a full level of fitness to compete amongst the worlds best?

Personally I think the answer to both is no, but having said that I hope the surgery works for him and allows him to enjoy a long and pain free retirement, time with his family and that he can find himself a niche somewhere and enjoy a long, second career away from tennis

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Good that he's had the operation, but do we really think a) he can fully recover in time for Wimbledon and b) he'll manage to regain a full level of fitness to compete amongst the worlds best?

Personally I think the answer to both is no, but having said that I hope the surgery works for him and allows him to enjoy a long and pain free retirement, time with his family and that he can find himself a niche somewhere and enjoy a long, second career away from tennis

I dont see why he couldn't recover. He's extremely fit going into surgery, they will have got him up and walking the same day. I played 9 holes 3 weeks after my first resurface and 5 weeks with the second one, I realise there's little comparison but a lot of the desire to play/or fear of playing will be in his head.