Golf on Amazon /Facebook

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
G

guest100718

Fragmentation could also be a good thing depending on where you are coming from

For example if someone doesn’t want to pay the fees for Sky and doesn’t have a dish etc right now they can’t watch any golf

If it goes to BT then it can be got for a lot less subscription cost so then people who haven’t got sky will get a chance to watch some

Same if it went to Amazon or another cheaper broadcaster - some golf then becomes available to some others cheaper

The ones that will suffer will be the people that want to watch all the golf will then have to pay for both subscriptions.

But being on Amazon etc will wider the audience is can get too

there is a reasonable amount of golf of free to air already. mostly delayed highlights but still its on every week

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are people suddenly going to abandon Sky because they only have two majors and the RC plus all the other ET events ? Then having the two other majors on a more accessible platform opens it up to further viewers ?

So you have the viewers on Sky , viewers on the other platform and the viewers on both plus there won’t be a drop in funding maybe even a rise

Great if it goes to other platforms like amazon but how is that any different to how it is now with NowTV. People that don't want to pay sky aren't going to pay amazon to do the same thing for 1 event.

And people might drop their sport subscription to sky, if they start losing events because the value isn't worth it.

Also i never said there would be a drop i funding I just busted your idea of saying there would be more funding if sky don't have all the events. Because if sky don't pay for the masters someone else does, ANGC aren't gona give it away for free. So its just the same funding from a different source

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First things first, it won't increase participation or grow the game. It's a niche sport and will remain so. In fact if viewing is diluted over increasing platforms with an associated cost to watch each one, it'll drive more people away

I also think each event (Ryder Cup, Masters etc) will actually increase in price as the owners of the broadcasting rights embark on a bidding war driving the price up. Whoever buys each one, if they can't negotiate a discount for buying complete rights (ET, PGA tour rights, majority of the majors or the RC as sole host) will pay through the nose as TV does for football now. Either way, costs will rise and the viewing public will yet again be forced to dip into their pocket. I can't see juniors with a desire to get into golf necessarily getting their parents to pay for a sport they may view as boring. At least with it being mostly on Sky, there's a chance to they already pay for sky sports and so can get the golf anyway.

D

Deleted member 15344

Great if it goes to other platforms like amazon but how is that any different to how it is now with NowTV. People that don't want to pay sky aren't going to pay amazon to do the same thing for 1 event.

And people might drop their sport subscription to sky, if they start losing events because the value isn't worth it.

Also i never said there would be a drop i funding I just busted your idea of saying there would be more funding if sky don't have all the events. Because if sky don't pay for the masters someone else does, ANGC aren't gona give it away for free. So its just the same funding from a different source

Busted my idea ?

Surely when telly rights become available various companies will submit bids and the governing body will no doubt go for the one that gives them the most funds ? The R&A gained £5mil going to Sky from the BBC so do you not think another broadcaster joining the Golf party will add further funds in the same way that’s happened in football , rugby etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Busted my idea ?

Surely when telly rights become available various companies will submit bids and the governing body will no doubt go for the one that gives them the most funds ? The R&A gained £5mil going to Sky from the BBC so do you not think another broadcaster joining the Golf party will add further funds in the same way that’s happened in football , rugby etc

No. With the exception of the RC, Masters and the Open, golf is seen as niche and still has a very poor profile to many. I really can't see it growing the game and in fact can see it having the opposite effect as viewers are put off having to shell even more to watch their sport

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Busted my idea ?

No I don't because if you have 4/5 different broadcasters showing one or two events but require a monthly subscription or £80 a year subscription on top of what people already pay then people won't pay for it.

I have sky but not the sports because its currently too expensive, I only keep sky because the wife watches it. Now if amazon comes along and offers me two events for £80 a year and bt want whatever they want a month then i can't afford that, its not good value for me. But now whats the point in getting sky sports again cos they don't show as much so now i cant watch golf anywhere cos its all on different services. So money lost to the game and i doubt I'd be the only one in the same situation.

D

Deleted member 18588

The announcement last week of cross marketing by the two main platforms in this country is thought to be the precursor to a scaling down of the bidding war over TV rights.

Potentially not good news for a number of sports including golf.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Regardless of how much the providers pay for mean event, dilution of those events among 3, 4 or more providers will most likely reduce the numbers watching each event as many won't want, or be able, to justify the extra costs.
That will then lead to either the subscriber pays more ( and that ain't gonna go down well) or the providers lose money or they drop their coverage.
None of which is good.

D

Deleted member 15344

No I don't because if you have 4/5 different broadcasters showing one or two events but require a monthly subscription or £80 a year subscription on top of what people already pay then people won't pay for it.

I have sky but not the sports because its currently too expensive, I only keep sky because the wife watches it. Now if amazon comes along and offers me two events for £80 a year and bt want whatever they want a month then i can't afford that, its not good value for me. But now whats the point in getting sky sports again cos they don't show as much so now i cant watch golf anywhere cos its all on different services. So money lost to the game and i doubt I'd be the only one in the same situation.

You’re not going to have 3/4 ( paid ) broadcasters in this country showing the golf - you will have 2 I suspect - Sky being one then either- BT Sport , Amazon or You Tube etc being the other

The size of the contracts won’t go down due to the amount of subscribers - BT sport increased the amount of money going into Football , Rugby when they joined in. The amount of people watching golf right now is lower than over the year because everything moved to Sky - viewing figures for the Open show that. US PgA for example wanted a big platform to show their event including people watching it online.

I suspect there are a lot of people who would want to watch golf events but don’t want to pay the money that it costs for Sky - BT sport for example is a bit cheaper so you might get more viewers that way or even more if it’s part of an Amazon Prime package so people might be more happy to pay £80 for Amazon Prime with everything it comes with .

I think it’s going to happen anyway - the monopoly of the sport by one broadcaster I think is changing as I don’t think it helps the sport

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have already decided that BT sport was a step too far for me. I have Virgin with Sky Sports because of cricket and the Ryder Cup. My son asked me why I have not had BT for the Ashes but I could not be bothered as the timing through the night was completely wrong.
The Majors in golf have been a bonus. My kids have always watched the football but it would not bother me to lose it. (They are moving out next year anyway).
I certainly don't want more options but at least, on Virgin, I could have them all together if I choose to.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You’re not going to have 3/4 ( paid ) broadcasters in this country showing the golf - you will have 2 I suspect - Sky being one then either- BT Sport , Amazon or You Tube etc being the other

The size of the contracts won’t go down due to the amount of subscribers - BT sport increased the amount of money going into Football , Rugby when they joined in. The amount of people watching golf right now is lower than over the year because everything moved to Sky - viewing figures for the Open show that. US PgA for example wanted a big platform to show their event including people watching it online.

I suspect there are a lot of people who would want to watch golf events but don’t want to pay the money that it costs for Sky - BT sport for example is a bit cheaper so you might get more viewers that way or even more if it’s part of an Amazon Prime package so people might be more happy to pay £80 for Amazon Prime with everything it comes with .

I think it’s going to happen anyway - the monopoly of the sport by one broadcaster I think is changing as I don’t think it helps the sport

I really don't get where you are getting this "lot of people would want to watch golf" when clubs are struggling for participants and it's not growing. Did the USPGA really get the platform and viewing numbers they wanted (no doubt google to follow) and I'd argue that with the quality of broadcast it actually put a lot of people of. If BT Sport get the RC (for arguments sake) and Facebook get another big event that's three platforms to pay for as they'll all want a return in their investment. I think you'll lose even more die hard golfers, and certainly won't grow audiences. I love the way your adamant you're right and it'll only be a couple of platforms without knowing how it'll play out, and how you can be certain it'll grow the sport and viewers

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

See post #18.

Why would you pay additional subscriptions for single events, The Masters or USPGA as an example.

I wouldn't.

The only thing restructured viewing will do is mean people will watch less golf as they wont pay for additional subscriptions.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Your original post stated that BT are looking to take the masters, and that the Us PGA is looking to move with amazon being a possible choice at a subscription cost, add in sky and as Big Shaq says 1 plus 2 equals 3, quick maths. So yes you are going to have 3 paid services. So which is it Phil, possible 3 paid for services or not?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

You know that total people watching Champions League and Premier League in the UK has dropped since BT Sport split the market in 2?

D

Deleted member 15344

Your original post stated that BT are looking to take the masters, and that the Us PGA is looking to move with amazon being a possible choice at a subscription cost, add in sky and as Big Shaq says 1 plus 2 equals 3, quick maths. So yes you are going to have 3 paid services. So which is it Phil, possible 3 paid for services or not?

I didn’t say that US PGA are looking to move to Amazon ? I did say the BT are looking to go for the Masters

I used Amazon and Facebook as examples of other broadcasters who could get involved in bidding due to them looking at other sports.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42164708

The football rights are coming up for tender soon and there is a lot of talk companies like amazon and Facebook are possibly looking to get involved.

Amazon have already taken a big chunk of tennis away from Sky including the US Open with Facebook also been involved in cricket

Now at the moment two of the majors telly rights are up for bids next year - The Masters and US PGA - plenty of talk about BT looking to take the Masters and obviously the US PGA wants it to be available to a broader area - so will we see Amazon and Co look towards golf ? Would it be a good thing for either to get the golf. At the moment to watch content on Amazon just means a Prime membership - £80 a year plus a firestick or other device and watched over internet.

So will that open up golf in the country to more viewers ?

I didn’t say that US PGA are looking to move to Amazon ? I did say the BT are looking to go for the Masters

I used Amazon and Facebook as examples of other broadcasters who could get involved in bidding due to them looking at other sports.

To me the section in bold seems to state that you think Amazon could be a viable option for the PGA to move to. So again quick maths of BT, Sky and Amazon makes 3 paid for services.

D

Deleted member 15344

To me the section in bold seems to state that you think Amazon could be a viable option for the PGA to move to. So again quick maths of BT, Sky and Amazon makes 3 paid for services.

It’s just a case of poor grammar from me
- bringing up Amazon etc was just me using them as other broadcasters that could get involved in Golf as they appear to be looking to branch into sport. I don’t think sports bodies like having sports on one channel only - it restricts the viewing of the sport.

They could even do the dramatic thing of purchasing the rights and then having it free to air online etc

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am I bothered if Sky lose more of the golf?....no I dont give a monkees.
Sky started the whole thing years back, and now they are the ones looking on dodgy ground as regards keeping things.
They let the genie out the bottle, and now it's escaping their grasp.
In any case, with Sky falling under the unmbrella of Disney now, I would expect to see a whole new appraoch to certain things.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last week Sky and BT signed a deal to make each other’s content available, that has to be a costs based decision.
some of this inflated bidding on sports is unsustainable long term.

i would hazard a bet the ashes viewing figures are well down with sky loosing out to BT.
I am an avid cricket fan, have sky q multi room, begrudgingly I may for BT Sport but only on the main tv, I won’t pay extra for bt in other rooms

I have t turned bt’s Ashes coverage on once

hate bt football coverage as well.

Bbc hardly set the world on fire wth Allis recently with their coverage of the us pga