AG up for sale

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let’s be honest, the buying public are to blame with our way of wanting to try then buy at the cheapest elsewhere.
How many saying how sad they will be to see them go buy their stuff at an AG rather than trying In store, then buying online?
I have found AG to be very poor since the days when they were AGD, and for that reason I don’t use them
I understand that not everyone is lucky enough to have a good club pro to deal with or smaller chain of quality golf stores, but too often people moan about a retailer going but don’t actually buy from that establishment.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Has it been confirmed that they are in trouble then or is it that just because they have been put up for sale that there is speculation?
It's fairly common knowledge that AG can't keep going without more capital being put in, which the current owners are unwilling to provide. The only alternatives are sale, Administration or a Creditors' Voluntary Arrangement

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's fairly common knowledge that AG can't keep going without more capital being put in, which the current owners are unwilling to provide. The only alternatives are sale, Administration or a Creditors' Voluntary Arrangement

When you say fairly common knowledge, do we have some links to articles saying this. I only ask as I would be interested in reading them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To my mind AG have several big issues.
Some stores are in big = expensive units. How many big chains in the past 2 years have had rent issues / trying to renegotiate.
The leases were signed in good times, retail now and more so luxury hobbies are feeling the pinch.

Online - like it or not you have to embrace it, the world is changing and the customer wants convenience. AG don’t do it well.

Inconsistentcy across the stores. Some are welcoming, well stock with knowledgeable staff
Others are the complete opposite.

Over supply.
They have 130 odd stores, it’s way ott in this day and age.
50 to 60 nationwide with a better website and online service and you will have a chain that could thrive

Your not wrong , I don’t think they need as many shops as they have

Round here we have 4..

Chigwell I’ll give them because it’s attached to top golf so it’s a good idea for passing trade

Now Dagenham has one which is less than 3 miles from Romford , Romford should be closed down .. the Dagenham one has a range, newly built store (used to be DG) Romford is old and tbh it’s fitting bay is lacking

Lakeside is awful store. Hidden round back of retail park so u only go there if u want to not exactly passing trade

If I was them I’d close Romford and lakeside and just focus on Dagenham and Chigwell in my area ..

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your not wrong , I don’t think they need as many shops as they have

Round here we have 4..

Chigwell I’ll give them because it’s attached to top golf so it’s a good idea for passing trade

Now Dagenham has one which is less than 3 miles from Romford , Romford should be closed down .. the Dagenham one has a range, newly built store (used to be DG) Romford is old and tbh it’s fitting bay is lacking

Lakeside is awful store. Hidden round back of retail park so u only go there if u want to not exactly passing trade

If I was them I’d close Romford and lakeside and just focus on Dagenham and Chigwell in my area ..

Lakeside is a truly awful shop.
I drive past it twice a day and would never step foot in it.
Yet due to the location, the rent must be huge.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Let’s be honest, the buying public are to blame with our way of wanting to try then buy at the cheapest elsewhere.
How many saying how sad they will be to see them go buy their stuff at an AG rather than trying In store, then buying online?
I have found AG to be very poor since the days when they were AGD, and for that reason I don’t use them
I understand that not everyone is lucky enough to have a good club pro to deal with or smaller chain of quality golf stores, but too often people moan about a retailer going but don’t actually buy from that establishment.
a lot of truth in this and unfortunately its the same for many retailers not just Golf stores.

i try and support my locals as much as i can and hardly ever buy online

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lakeside is a truly awful shop.
I drive past it twice a day and would never step foot in it.
Yet due to the location, the rent must be huge.

When the trade in was on I phoned them for a price and the manager got the arse and said “we need to see them first” never went in

Never been impressed with them. Romford always been spot on

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was in a local shop yesterday.
Talking to 2 staff in there.
Not sounding great.
Can't order in anymore from atleast 3 of the top manufacturers.
Limits set.
Only selling stock that's in stores.
Hence big price drop, "deal of the week", currently on the M3 and M4 ranges (20% off)
Only off current stock, not off any custom order, even if that's what a custom fit dictates you need.
Staff bonuses, commission, all but done away with now.