AG up for sale

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I wonder if that double value trade in is now coming home to roost
Getting cause and effect confused. The double value thing was a desperate attempt to generate cash flow.

Watch out for Mike Ashley. Same as direct Golf & House of Fraser, he'll kid them he's going to buy it until the last minute, let it go into administration, then buy it for a song.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Getting cause and effect confused. The double value thing was a desperate attempt to generate cash flow.

Watch out for Mike Ashley. Same as direct Golf & House of Fraser, he'll kid them he's going to buy it until the last minute, let it go into administration, then buy it for a song.

Then we'll be able to buy Slazenger and Dunlop crap at AG

D

Deleted member 18588

Which is one reason that I don't think Sports Direct will be a buyer for AG.

The footfall and return per sq. foot for golf retail outlets is not that attractive.

D

Deleted member 18588

Wouldn't be surprised if no buyer is found

If the experience of AG can't make it pay why would it be any different for new owners.

It would require a significant change to the business model.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The AG near to me is a good one. There isn't really an alternative to the for most people. None of the pro shops come close, how could they? If they closed it would be a real blow.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally I like AG, have always had good service and they have a wide range of quality gear.
Besides the Pro shops, they are the only real presence and provide viable price competition. If they do disappear I think it's a bad thing for the game.

D

Deleted member 18588

Too many of the staff give the impression that they would rather be anywhere rather than working in the store.

Prices are not particularly competitive and far too much second hand rubbish cluttering some of the stores.

I have shopped there for more years than I care to remember but over the last few years they give the impression of a business that has lost its way.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have shopped at AG since they first opened but have very rarely shopped in one since they stopped being franchise operated.

Last time I was in one (a couple of months ago) they were more expensive than the pro where I play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The double value trade in scheme must have hit their margins quite hard..
I traded in a set of Apex irons that were pretty scabby against an Epic driver.
They gave me £330 for the irons that I couldn't have sold for £200 on eBay..
I handed over £109. I bet that haven't sold that set for anything like the value they gave me. £150 if they were lucky.
So they took £260 for a £449 club - no idea how much they pay for them but there ain't much margin in that deal...
They have so much overpriced 2nd hand stock that they're not shifting.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree - they are a 2nd hand store for me and the prices on their stock is a joke. Anyone paying what they are asking for 2nd hand clubs do not know what they are doing or are happy to pay over the odds to get their hands on what they want immediately

D

Deleted member 18588

Agree - they are a 2nd hand store for me and the prices on their stock is a joke. Anyone paying what they are asking for 2nd hand clubs do not know what they are doing or are happy to pay over the odds to get their hands on what they want immediately

This in addition to not being that competitively priced for new stock.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some of you guys must have really bad examples near you. The Newcastle / Gosforth branch is a genuinely decent shop. It's not perfect but nowhere near the descriptions I'm reading of your examples.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My nearest DG store (Reading) has closed already. I can see a few AG stores going as part of the selling process. I'm not a huge AG fan aside from some of their clothing but at the end of it all there is peoples livelihoods in danger. As long as Ashley doesn't get it