AG up for sale

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have given them feedback to the same extent. They take ages to dispatch orders and their response to this was uninspiring. Pay for quick postage or accept the 7-10 days to get it

or use any of the competitors and get it inside 48 hours almost every time. doesnt take a rocket scientist......

doesnt help they dont respond to messages or keep you informed either

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Someone mentioned months ago , that taking in second clubs at the rate they did increased their stock value, ie how much property they owned. I bebieve this is a ploy bfore they sell the business. They may have done this before
Don't think any buyer would be taken in by this. The first thing they'd do would be to write down the second hand stock to the disposable value. I think it's doubtful whether a buyer will be found. Administration, followed by wholesale branch closures is my guess.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Again it seems to be a localised issue....my local AG are great....yes they are not the cheapest but as has been said, will price match. I guess part of the appeal for this particular branch is that they are attached to a quality open air driving range and are always amenable to me taking clubs out on to the range to have a hit with...but they guys who work there are friendly enough and seemingly unlike other AG employees don't seem to be bored witless/going through the motions. I, for one, would be unhappy to see the closing of this particular branch.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I remember them from their first shop in Manchester Road, Warrington when it was originally set up by the Bilton Brothers. At that time they were called American Golf Discount and were certainly competitive compared to the prices you were paying at professional shops or sports stores but at that time the market was far less competitive. They dropped the Discount suffix and started to price at MRRP most of the time.
Saying that, they opened up the door to golf specific high street retail stores in the UK and we have to be thankful to them for that.
I personally would be sorry to see them go as they're one of the few places you can go into and see most of the manufacturers range of clubs in one place.
I don't tend to use them these days as I prefer to support my club pro where I can but I think if they do go under, they will be a bigger loss to the market than a lot of people think.
I would never have got fitted by them as I found that the quality of their fitters varied from store to store.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Again it seems to be a localised issue....my local AG are great....yes they are not the cheapest but as has been said, will price match. I guess part of the appeal for this particular branch is that they are attached to a quality open air driving range and are always amenable to me taking clubs out on to the range to have a hit with...but they guys who work there are friendly enough and seemingly unlike other AG employees don't seem to be bored witless/going through the motions. I, for one, would be unhappy to see the closing of this particular branch.
I think this is part of the problem. I have three AG stores within driving distance (Bird Hills, Slough and Camberley) and the service in these stores, especially in terms of club fitting has always been poor in my experience and in Bird Hills in particular, the staff seem very disengaged. If you have a good one locally, and there are clearly some excellent ones, then you lose a useful asset, spoilt by an overall failing brand. I wonder if some could eventually go independent, especially those with ranges attached

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Be happy to see American golf go under. Sick of them selling old crap at full price to people who don't know better.

Everyone should try to support their local PGA pros

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wonder if some could eventually go independent, especially those with ranges attached
Very possibly.

One store fairly local to me seems to be absolutely thriving. They provide a great service and with only one exception the staff are superb.

There's also a fantastic range / course / restaurant etc attached, also all thriving.

Located right by a couple of motorways and a dual carriageway linking two towns there's enormous amounts of passing traffic.

It'd be a real shame if it turns into a Sports Direct / Direct Golf situation.

However, I can easily see a couple of other local stores close. None of which I use as I don't like the service or attitudes of many of the staff (pounce on you the second you enter to give you the hard sell). I resent this as I generally know what I want/need and am not shy of asking if I need help!

Both sides of the coin right there.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't believe that giving me a brand new £100 wedge in exchange for 9 pieces of worthless metal wasn't a viable business plan :unsure:

I hope that all the suppliers saw this coming - hard to believe that the bills will be payed, especially if Ashley gets involved.

I'm imagining that the good ones will get packaged up in a new vehicle and the others shut down. Sad times for the employees, as golf retail (any retail) is not going well at present.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Can't believe that giving me a brand new £100 wedge in exchange for 9 pieces of worthless metal wasn't a viable business plan :unsure:

I hope that all the suppliers saw this coming - hard to believe that the bills will be payed, especially if Ashley gets involved.

I'm imagining that the good ones will get packaged up in a new vehicle and the others shut down. Sad times for the employees, as golf retail (any retail) is not going well at present.

Yup it seems like whenever a retail chain is sold to Equity groups, investment groups, trust groups, venture capital groups (delete as required) a few years later it'll collapse

Tough to imagine how they all went from being success stories for decades into loss making once 'money men' get hold of them

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just a quick, off the cuff question. Most people will be sad to see them go, as their pricing was usually very competitive, but they also made life very difficult for club professionals. Is it a bad thing that they appear to be going to the wall?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a quick, off the cuff question. Most people will be sad to see them go, as their pricing was usually very competitive, but they also made life very difficult for club professionals. Is it a bad thing that they appear to be going to the wall?

It depends if you have club professionals, we don't, or if their shop is a good one. Paul42 at Seaham GC for example would never need to go to an AG, his pro shop is a cracker. For me where I am, despite all of the clubs in 15-20 miles, the AG near me is by far the best option still. I don't blame the pro's for this, running a shop is a tough business. Not many can afford to hold the stock range that an AG can.

I was in Aberdeen early this year, your most recent stomping ground, and visited Gamola Golf, AG and a driving range at the front near to Aberdeen's ground that had a heck of a shop. The AG was completely outgunned by the other two and that was not taking into account any pro shops which would have to be equally as good to compete. If only everywhere was as well served but then I think Aberdeen is a golfing hotspot.

Last edited:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m with this. The Milton Keynes store is pretty good, the staff are friendly and helpful, but I would say that as my son has just started working there and a couple of the other staff play at our club. Prices are not always great, but they price match so can usually get stuff as cheap as elsewhere.

What's your home club?

And yes, I quite like the MK branch. I met my coach in there, Trevor and I'm at least grateful to them for that :)

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
It'll be a shame to see it go if it does, they do more for the game than just another store with their sponsored TV events and roadshows.
I still shop there despite the useless service from them recently, e-mail support, a newly opened store and a large one attached to a driving range, all useless! My perseverance with them has nothing whatsoever to do with me getting AG gift cards through work!

I wonder how things will go, i suspect most people new to the game will go to Sports Direct and by Dunlops finest or hit ebay for some 2nd hand tat.
Will Pros stock more brands clubs, doubtful unless the smaller brands start to place their new clubs with them. If that's already happening i don't know why pros don't stock all brands.
I'm guessing we'll see a rise of company fitting events like Titleist Thursdays, i loved mine so that can't be a bad thing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes sir, spot on. My game has improved massively since using him. Can't remember if I've asked you before Fundy, what's your home course?

I was at AVGC but moved out of the area earlier this year, spent many hours practising when Trevor was teaching on the range or short game area

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
As someone who's new to the game I found the AG at the Trafford Centre to be useful. Having a driving range there and being able to take a load of the second hand clubs and try a bit of everything to see what felt right helped. £300 for a full set of Wilson and TM didn't seem bad for what I needed

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
What's your home club?

And yes, I quite like the MK branch. I met my coach in there, Trevor and I'm at least grateful to them for that :)

I play at Leighton Buzzard GC. I’ve not met Trevor but I’m sure he is still attached to them, my lad was talking about him the other week, as he was giving him a bit of advice.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I play at Leighton Buzzard GC. I’ve not met Trevor but I’m sure he is still attached to them, my lad was talking about him the other week, as he was giving him a bit of advice.

Nice, that's a course I haven't played yet, despite living only 5 miles away, I've heard it's lovely.