AG up for sale

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wonder if that double value trade in is now coming home to roost

It's interesting and I wondered at the time if that was a desperation move and/or if there was some accounting loop hole they were looking to exploit to boost their financial results perhaps if new investment was needed.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some of you guys must have really bad examples near you. The Newcastle / Gosforth branch is a genuinely decent shop. It's not perfect but nowhere near the descriptions I'm reading of your examples.
we have 5 golf shops in Inverness, 3 owned by the same guys and run by the pro's at them. torvean that doesn't sell clubs, just sh and some cloths.... then the worst... AG. staff terrible, hardly any stock and what they do have is overpriced, even the SH is ridiculously over priced. last time i was in there they had an R7 driver which they wanted £170 for, didnt pay that much when i had one new 11 years ago..

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
As AG [along with most other 'High St.' golf outlets] came to the fore on a wave of new interest in the game...
No surprise with that interest very much on the wane they're struggling...

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Some of you guys must have really bad examples near you. The Newcastle / Gosforth branch is a genuinely decent shop. It's not perfect but nowhere near the descriptions I'm reading of your examples.

I’m with this. The Milton Keynes store is pretty good, the staff are friendly and helpful, but I would say that as my son has just started working there and a couple of the other staff play at our club. Prices are not always great, but they price match so can usually get stuff as cheap as elsewhere.

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
The local one to me shares its site with the likes of TKMax, M&S, and B&Q. Can’t see how they have ever been able to cover similar rents to these other stores

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's interesting and I wondered at the time if that was a desperation move and/or if there was some accounting loop hole they were looking to exploit to boost their financial results perhaps if new investment was needed.
Someone mentioned months ago , that taking in second clubs at the rate they did increased their stock value, ie how much property they owned. I bebieve this is a ploy bfore they sell the business. They may have done this before

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
thats where i went wrong i ordered tbrough onlinegolf lol, took them 5 or so days to despatch and then via Hermes who took forever

I have given them feedback to the same extent. They take ages to dispatch orders and their response to this was uninspiring. Pay for quick postage or accept the 7-10 days to get it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use them sporadically for odds and sods but wouldn't buy clubs there again. I've found their prices aren't as competitive as they once were and that there are usually better bargains on clothing, balls etc online these days and while its nice to have a store to browse around from time to time its perhaps, perhaps the writing has been on the since they did their trade in offers over the last 18 months or so. As was documented on here at the time by a good number it seemed a strange business decision and perhaps one thats coming back to haunt them