AG up for sale

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Nice, that's a course I haven't played yet, despite living only 5 miles away, I've heard it's lovely.

Was in really good nick at the start of the season. Being honest, some of the fairways have suffered in the heat this summer, still trying to recover, but th egreens are still great and the course itself still good. Happy to sign you in as a guest. Can't do owt for the next two weekends, but PM me if you want to come down some time.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At a loose end today so wandered to Bird Hills AG store. Look like it was closing down as there was hardly any stock in, especially brands and very little stock from the big names especially in the bags which were either Fazer, Wilson or Callaway. No clothing except their own Palm Grove range. Looked a very sorry place.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It would be bad to see the end of AG. Without it where do you go to try a variety of brands. Pro shops near me stock one and most stock the same brand. Where do you go for a selection of shoes or clothing brands. Where do you go if your pro shop 8s ridiculously expensive as some are. DG is all but gone (though sports direct do appear to be rebranding and opening new stores) so without AG the selection for a large number of golfers will plummet.

D

Deleted member 15344

I guess it’s two things

Most people are going to the online route to purchase things so AG is the same as all the other retailers that are struggling. Seems a lot of people use them to try clubs then go elsewhere for a fitting

The double trade in thing and people milking it - people were just buying up cheap sets from eBay then exchanging for brand new from AG which left AG with a lot of really poor second hand stuff - didn’t seem a sensible business model at the time

I not sure how much of an affect it would have if they did disappear. I guess it would affect the nomad golfer more

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it’s two things

Most people are going to the online route to purchase things so AG is the same as all the other retailers that are struggling. Seems a lot of people use them to try clubs then go elsewhere for a fitting

The double trade in thing and people milking it - people were just buying up cheap sets from eBay then exchanging for brand new from AG which left AG with a lot of really poor second hand stuff - didn’t seem a sensible business model at the time

I not sure how much of an affect it would have if they did disappear. I guess it would affect the nomad golfer more
Why the nomad golfer. My pro shop stocks only I brand of clubs, a little clothing and ball brands I do not use. The AG in Peterborough is where I buy most of my golf gear

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It would be bad to see the end of AG. Without it where do you go to try a variety of brands. Pro shops near me stock one and most stock the same brand. Where do you go for a selection of shoes or clothing brands. Where do you go if your pro shop 8s ridiculously expensive as some are. DG is all but gone (though sports direct do appear to be rebranding and opening new stores) so without AG the selection for a large number of golfers will plummet.
There is some validity to your point. Even though I had bad service from three AG stores when I was looking to buy clubs, it still gives me a facility to pick a few different clubs and give them a go. I'm lucky that my local range are pretty good at giving me a chance to hit demo models and do get manufacturers in on demo days but for a lot of golfers not interested in going down the custom fit option, it may make it harder to simply hit a club before buying. Again, I'm lucky to have Silvermere nearby so again can try a huge range pretty easily but others aren't. I would always want to try before I buy whether that was off the peg or not.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why the nomad golfer. My pro shop stocks only I brand of clubs, a little clothing and ball brands I do not use. The AG in Peterborough is where I buy most of my golf gear

Nomad golfer “more” because they are the ones without a pro shop who 9 times out of 10 would be able to source what you would like

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
plenty of courses with poor, overpriced or no pro shop, will affect many club golfers as well as nomads if AG were to go to the wall
Agree. Good luck to those with a great pro shop with loads of stock and brands to try. Sadly most near me do not fit that bill.

D

Deleted member 15344

plenty of courses with poor, overpriced or no pro shop, will affect many club golfers as well as nomads if AG were to go to the wall

Any AG in an area surrounded by those will be thriving on good business but I suspect many will be going online - all their golfer for example seems to be more expensive than - Function 18 or Clubhouse or even Foremost . The last time I went into the one in MK it was empty bar people hitting in the net trying clubs - that seems to be the most popular thing people use AG for - try various clubs

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any AG in an area surrounded by those will be thriving on good business but I suspect many will be going online - all their golfer for example seems to be more expensive than - Function 18 or Clubhouse or even Foremost . The last time I went into the one in MK it was empty bar people hitting in the net trying clubs - that seems to be the most popular thing people use AG for - try various clubs

pop in there on a friday afternoon or saturday morning, unless its changed then it does a roaring trade with golfers who are playing locally at the weekend

D

Deleted member 18588

pop in there on a friday afternoon or saturday morning, unless its changed then it does a roaring trade with golfers who are playing locally at the weekend

If it is doing a roaring trade then it would appear to be very much an exception.

Otherwise why would the business be in the position that it is.

D

Deleted member 15344

It was a Friday afternoon and also been there Saturdays - pretty empty most days

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe the new owners will cotton onto the fact they are being used souly to test

£20 try any club session refunded if you purchase a club..

Where else can you try any model? Charge someone 20 quid might get less time wasters

But then doing that could drive buisness the other way as how many people try a club.. leave it and think ooo those shoes look good

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To my mind AG have several big issues.
Some stores are in big = expensive units. How many big chains in the past 2 years have had rent issues / trying to renegotiate.
The leases were signed in good times, retail now and more so luxury hobbies are feeling the pinch.

Online - like it or not you have to embrace it, the world is changing and the customer wants convenience. AG don’t do it well.

Inconsistentcy across the stores. Some are welcoming, well stock with knowledgeable staff
Others are the complete opposite.

Over supply.
They have 130 odd stores, it’s way ott in this day and age.
50 to 60 nationwide with a better website and online service and you will have a chain that could thrive

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
To my mind AG have several big issues.
Some stores are in big = expensive units. How many big chains in the past 2 years have had rent issues / trying to renegotiate.
The leases were signed in good times, retail now and more so luxury hobbies are feeling the pinch.

Online - like it or not you have to embrace it, the world is changing and the customer wants convenience. AG don’t do it well.

Inconsistentcy across the stores. Some are welcoming, well stock with knowledgeable staff
Others are the complete opposite.

Over supply.
They have 130 odd stores, it’s way ott in this day and age.
50 to 60 nationwide with a better website and online service and you will have a chain that could thrive
Agree with this. Administration will be the answer. This will reduce / eliminate borrowings, get rid of unviable stores & reduce rents to manageable levels. With club pros unable to carry a big range of stock there is definitely a place in large population areas for a dedicated golf shop.

D

Deleted member 18588

Agree with this. Administration will be the answer. This will reduce / eliminate borrowings, get rid of unviable stores & reduce rents to manageable levels. With club pros unable to carry a big range of stock there is definitely a place in large population areas for a dedicated golf shop.

The revised "model" sounds good but in the current climate it's difficult to think of an investor that would take it on.

Big difference between building an operation to the levels suggested and laying one down at 50 - 60 stores from the outset.

Margins are under pressure whilst costs continue to rise and market is not growing significantly.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has it been confirmed that they are in trouble then or is it that just because they have been put up for sale that there is speculation?

I have two near me, Northwick Park outlet and Northolt, Northwick Park is ok and looks a bit untidy but mainly due to the amount of stock they have on the shelves, Northolt is good, always been helpful and is kept tidy with decent knowledgeable staff.

Where I work in High Wycombe we had a golf shop open up called yes please golf, indecently owned and their second store but that shut down 18 months ago as when ever I went in there was no one there other than staff, prices were higher than AG and online also.

I would be said to see AG go from the high street as I do use them when I need to, but I mainly order online.