AG up for sale

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd be sorry to see them disappear completely, my nearest branch is around 15 miles away and I got my Scotty there 2 years ago during the double trade in offer. I found the staff to be helpful and knowledgeable although the odd visit to other stores has shown this to not always been the case. My most recent purchase was online only last week! I used a voucher that I won in my works society comps to get two new pairs of shoes for winter use. Got two pairs of Adidas Boost for £100, and despite paying for next working day delivery, they turned up the very next day which was Saturday. Got to admit to being impressed.

That said, if they don't survive then I'll continue to use my home Club pro shop, my Coaches shop and Clubhouse or Golf online depending on what I want/need and the price.

D

Deleted member 18588

Went in today, they had no stock of consumables, balls etc , they’re struggling

Having today visited 3 of their stores in the East Midlands I am sorry to say that was exactly my experience.

Empty displays and clear floor space, not a healthy look.

Wolf

Visit site
Went in today, they had no stock of consumables, balls etc , they’re struggling

Went to my local one yesterday as that's where the driving range is, had a mooch about the store decent selection of irons, limited option of drivers and fairway woods, putters however I had a huge choice of 1 Scotty Cameron or 4 different types of Fazer putter think I'll save my dough.

Hope they can resolve it was hoping to spend some of my pennies when we move up to Lincoln on some new shiny kit

Wolf

Visit site
Not sure what's going on with stock, but just seen they're still advertising for new staff with the promise of excellent career progression opportunities as part of the tag line.. so perhaps there is life in the old dog yet or perhaps it's just filling in the cracks...

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A lot of people refer to the double trade in as a possible cause but this would have shown positive results also.

Additional sales of high margin items while in stores trading clubs such as clothing, tee’s etc, but also the big positives are stock turns, growth rebates, better discounts through bigger buying volumes.

I purchased my cf16 irons from a shop who had purchased 50k in cally stock during December. He purchased this to hit hos growth rebate for the year which subsequently reduced his stock by around 30-35%. I paid £25 more for my cf16 than shops were clearing apex 2015 models for and they had only been launched a week

davidg2010uk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The shops selling mainly 2nd hand gear seem like a mistake. They should have cut their losses and punted cheap on eBay rather than trying to charge a premium for it. Giffnock store was rammed with 2nd hand stock that wasn’t even clean never mind cheap.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having today visited 3 of their stores in the East Midlands I am sorry to say that was exactly my experience.

Empty displays and clear floor space, not a healthy look.
Exactly what I found at the Bird Hills branch near Maidenhead. Looked as if it was already on the brink of closing. Nothing on the shelves, only six putters (lower end brands) hardly any balls, and just a few sets of irons but no Ping or Titleist

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve had it on good authority today that a buyer has been found and should be going through shortly. The issues atm is that Titleist and TM have blocked all new orders so they are relying on Ping and Callaway atm. That would explain the lack of balls etc

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me the manufacturers are massively to blame for the situations faced by AG etc

So many new models in a short space and price going crazy high.. prices people out of upgrading as often which reduces sales

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me the manufacturers are massively to blame for the situations faced by AG etc

So many new models in a short space and price going crazy high.. prices people out of upgrading as often which reduces sales
I think the opposite. I don’t remember a time when people changed a club/clubs to have the latest best thing as much as now, and very recent times.
You forget AG with their size and buying power will get a greater discount when buying in their stock, so will make greater profit on each item compared to the smaller retailer or pro.

Personally as I have said previous, the buying public are partly to blame with their want to buy it at the cheapest over service, but wanting to try something first.
Couple that with AG perpetuating the myth that golf is a rich mans sport and not really offering the lower price quality clubs and gear that is available.

When the country is all tightening their belts something has to give, and leasure activities and non essential spending goes out the window.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe given the expertise on here we should create a consortium and make a bid to rival Mike Ashley's!!!!! 😁

D

Deleted member 15344

AG are to blame for where they are now - there double trade in offer started the ball rolling - which I’m sure you took advantage off

You can’t blame the OEM when a good deal of them have slowed releases considerably.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AG are to blame for where they are now - there double trade in offer started the ball rolling - which I’m sure you took advantage off

You can’t blame the OEM when a good deal of them have slowed releases considerably.
Knowing that it would be taken advantage of, I suspect the double trade in offer was merely a way to offset against tax or something if that ilk.

D

Deleted Member 1156

My club pro price matches and offers a better service than AG have ever done. He is part of the Foremost group so has accounts with all the big manufacturers. I recently bought a pair of UA goretex trousers, list price £199 and he charged me £140. His shop is always my first port of call, if AG do go down the pan then it would be nice to see more support for local club pros.