AG up for sale

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
There’s so much inconsistency between shops which doesn’t help. Yeah I’ll name names, the Gateshead branch nearest to me are awful to deal with, always a reason they can’t price match, didn’t play ball with the trade in deal and in general seem arrogant bordering on ignorance. The gosforth and South Shields branches couldn’t be more opposite, absolute pleasure to go into, shame they’re so far away so I don’t generally bother with any AG now.

D

Deleted member 15344

My club pro price matches and offers a better service than AG have ever done. He is part of the Foremost group so has accounts with all the big manufacturers. I recently bought a pair of UA goretex trousers, list price £199 and he charged me £140. His shop is always my first port of call, if AG do go down the pan then it would be nice to see more support for local club pros.
Which is great for the clubs golfer who has a decent pro

There are hundred of clubs with minimal pro shops , poor pro shops , no pro shops - they relied on places like AG

Then there is the 1000’s of nomad pay and play golfers who used AG

I can see a lot of pros milking AG and trying to enhance their own profit

AG going to the pan isn’t good for golfers

Visit site
Don't think I have ever bought anything from AG.
This is an excellent opportunity to put in a plug for my local shop, namely Shay Grange, (or Express Golf) in Bradford. The staff there are amazing. The driving range is superb, including tracker facilities.
The shop is really well stocked, and there's always deals to be had, allied with all the top ranges of clubs, balls, clothing, trollies etc etc.
I cannot imagine having to go anywhere else for my golfing needs. I know many customers who travel a good distance to shop there. The 9 hole course there is very well presented, and is an excellent starter course. If you're in West Yorkshire or East Lancashire, give it a go.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There’s so much inconsistency between shops which doesn’t help. Yeah I’ll name names, the Gateshead branch nearest to me are awful to deal with, always a reason they can’t price match, didn’t play ball with the trade in deal and in general seem arrogant bordering on ignorance. The gosforth and South Shields branches couldn’t be more opposite, absolute pleasure to go into, shame they’re so far away so I don’t generally bother with any AG now.

I was in the Gosforth branch in May. Very not impressed. Tried the hard sell on something I didn’t want because the item I wanted was out of stock. He got shirty when I insisted I wanted x as it complimented what I already had. I still said no. He then sourced what I wanted at a store down south, and promised it would be in the branch the next day, providing I paid for it there and then.

I explained we’d be flying out the following afternoon and was unwilling to pay for it if he couldn’t guarantee it would be in... cue more attitude. Promised he’d get it in and call me. Not surprised the call didn’t happen.

The Aberdeen branch were superb, even refusing to sell me some irons because he wasn’t happy with the fitting results. Trafford Centre store was good too.

The measure of a business is how good they are when things aren’t going right. Gosforth didn’t make the grade.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Which is great for the clubs golfer who has a decent pro

There are hundred of clubs with minimal pro shops , poor pro shops , no pro shops - they relied on places like AG

Then there is the 1000’s of nomad pay and play golfers who used AG

I can see a lot of pros milking AG and trying to enhance their own profit

AG going to the pan isn’t good for golfers
There is one AG covering the entire Bournemouth/Poole/Christchurch area but at least 6 clubs with decent shops and one other high street independant, all of which are open to the public so nomadic golfers are well covered in this area.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was in the Gosforth branch in May. Very not impressed. Tried the hard sell on something I didn’t want because the item I wanted was out of stock. He got shirty when I insisted I wanted x as it complimented what I already had. I still said no. He then sourced what I wanted at a store down south, and promised it would be in the branch the next day, providing I paid for it there and then.

I explained we’d be flying out the following afternoon and was unwilling to pay for it if he couldn’t guarantee it would be in... cue more attitude. Promised he’d get it in and call me. Not surprised the call didn’t happen.

The Aberdeen branch were superb, even refusing to sell me some irons because he wasn’t happy with the fitting results. Trafford Centre store was good too.

The measure of a business is how good they are when things aren’t going right. Gosforth didn’t make the grade.

I've used Gosforth plenty of times and always found them to be very good. Your experience was clearly a very poor one and in no way defensible. However I would say it bears no resemblance to the many times I have been there and had very good experiences, as has Beezerk based on his post earlier. The Gateshead store.........that's a different matter.

D

Deleted member 15344

There is one AG covering the entire Bournemouth/Poole/Christchurch area but at least 6 clubs with decent shops and one other high street independant, all of which are open to the public so nomadic golfers are well covered in this area.

That’s great for the people who live in that area- I suspect not everyone is that lucky , I know MK area isn’t great for Pro Shops even more so with one closing down that had a half decent pro shop and there are prob a lot of areas with the same issue - what do they do now ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

That’s great for the people who live in that area- I suspect not everyone is that lucky , I know MK area isn’t great for Pro Shops even more so with one closing down that had a half decent pro shop and there are prob a lot of areas with the same issue - what do they do now ?
AG is a large chain, if they are struggling then I would assume that the weaker shops are dragging the chain down. I'm sure that whoever buys them will look to keep the busy shops open.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Strange, must be you Beezerk , I've never had any issues with the Gateshead store.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
For all the people saying it would be good for them to go out of business so Pro shops get used, how is the sport in the UK supposed to get new people involved? Don't think you'll find any beginner who will shell out for a membership just to be able to buy clubs

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For all the people saying it would be good for them to go out of business so Pro shops get used, how is the sport in the UK supposed to get new people involved? Don't think you'll find any beginner who will shell out for a membership just to be able to buy clubs

I agree. I also find many pro shops to be intimidating to look around as you may be the only person in there, or one of only a few. You can feel the eyes following you and it is not relaxing. I like the anonymity of AG, it is big enough to be able to wander around without pressure. I'm speaking as a golfer, not someone new to the sport so it would be worse for them. If AG did not exist then I can see newbies to the game going to Sports Direct rather than their local club for gear.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site

South Shields branch ???

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
The problem with the ones in the north east, the range of clothes is poor and limited. Clubs can be bought elsewhere cheaper.
Don’t know what they are like in other parts of the country, but if it’s like the north east it’s not surprising they are struggling.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Just got back from AG Milton Keynes and I feel like I've just commited daylight robbery.

Took my 917 D2 in, they offered me £138 trade in value.

Tested the Benross Evolution R Driver and really liked it, costs £199 and the guy offered me 10% off so all in all, I've just got a brand spanking new driver for £41.99 o_O:eek:

I ran out of the store! :LOL:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Anyone can go into a club pro shop, you don't need to be a member.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got back from AG Milton Keynes and I feel like I've just commited daylight robbery.

Took my 917 D2 in, they offered me £138 trade in value.

Tested the Benross Evolution R Driver and really liked it, costs £199 and the guy offered me 10% off so all in all, I've just got a brand spanking new driver for £41.99 o_O:eek:

I ran out of the store! :LOL:
You'll pay for it eventually with the zero sell-on value of Benross though. :D