Abusive call through

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was behind a 2 ball for a 4 holes till I got called through.
I said thank you, and said it was clear for a few holes behind me.
At that point I got told I should have managed my speed and I was going too fast.
I apologised hit my shot, said I would try not to hold them up and got another comment.

This pair were slow, they couldn’t keep up with a 3 ball in front, had held up another pair and just watching them and they were slow standing around putting head covers on leaving bags in poor places and general wandering around like lost souls.

Was going to have a chat with the pro about it, it poor behaviour and needs to be stomped out fast. If your slow, okay, but you let people through and your polite about it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I know ave said this before..but I had a nose to nose on the first tee at Rufford. we were two mins late for our tee off so three guys teed off they were on the green and the other three had not teed off. one of the guys said " what time did you tell him to get here for". Before another guy answered the third guy said he's here now. And down trots guy no 4. I thought hang on we are a two ball. We were late and now we are waiting for a late fourball. I politely asked about us two playing. This guy went ballistic. He was having none of it. I politely reminded him we were late so obviously let them play through Now there late, they are a fourball and will hold us up. I thought this guy was gonna have a heart attack. One of the guys politely said you are correct please play on. Quite frankly he was a knob.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is an increasing backlash to the hype around speed of play...I suspect what you experienced has it's roots in there somewhere (they may have had what they considered bad experiences with people telling them to speed up 🤗

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is an increasing backlash to the hype around speed of play...I suspect what you experienced has it's roots in there somewhere (they may have had what they considered bad experiences with people telling them to speed up 🤗
Bad exparien e of being told that you are playing slowly and can you speed up ,well they certainly sound like they took heed of those experiences and sped up so as not to get a repeat.
If people need to get abusive just smile at them give them a little wave and say nothing.it winds them up even more .

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I had similar once.

Our 4th tee backs on to the 1st green, with 2 and 3 being around 200 yards to the left of the 1st green.

One day I was trying to get a few quick holes in and didn't have time for a full 18 or possibly even a full 9. Made my putt on 1, and the 4th was free, so I played straight through that.

Was on my own so wouldn't hold anyone up, and didn't see anyone else about, but as I was walking down the 4th fairway, 3 lady members started shouting at me for missing holes. Explained why I did it, offered to let them through, got snapped at that I was wrong to offer that as well. Laughed my head off and played on.

Was coming down the 6th which passes 4, and they were still halfway down 4 😂

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TBH, if someone said that to me they would have been given the whys and reasons... to put it politely;)
The problem here is it would get turned round and I would be seen as the abusive member.
The problem is that during the week certain membership groups feel they own the course and behave in that manner.
When there is a member who is not part of that group, conflict ensues, not often does it actually boil over into arguments but does manifest itself in snide remarks and general scowling.
I am currently not part of the retired old boys group, I am not welcome either, nor am I part of the ladies contingent ( although I am not adverse to playing with the ladies).
I guess I am a loner, but that is the beauty of golf you don’t have to play with anyone. I am one of the weekend mob.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The problem here is it would get turned round and I would be seen as the abusive member.
The problem is that during the week certain membership groups feel they own the course and behave in that manner.
When there is a member who is not part of that group, conflict ensues, not often does it actually boil over into arguments but does manifest itself in snide remarks and general scowling.
I am currently not part of the retired old boys group, I am not welcome either, nor am I part of the ladies contingent ( although I am not adverse to playing with the ladies).
I guess I am a loner, but that is the beauty of golf you don’t have to play with anyone. I am one of the weekend mob.

you don't have to be abusive, just tell them the way its suuposed to be... there is no such thing as playing too quickly in golf etiquette, but there certainly is for slow play and not letting faster groups through

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The way the call through is described in the OP doesn't actually sound very abusive at all - more of a whinge by them being defensive of their own speed - which they probably knew was a bit ploddy. I'd usually respond with a 'well you'll be all the better for not having me up your backsides'

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The way the call through is described in the OP doesn't actually sound very abusive at all - more of a whinge by them being defensive of their own speed - which they probably knew was a bit ploddy. I'd usually respond with a 'well you'll be all the better for not having me up your backsides'
I did not quite put it like that, just said there were a few clear holes behind me.. I just felt the tone was wrong the behaviour was threatening unnecessarily so, I have seen fights start for less.
I could have asked him if he would like me to spank him with my driver or flop him with my wedge 🤣 but I suspect the brutal honesty of it all was the bloke was not very good at the game

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I did not quite put it like that, just said there were a few clear holes behind me.. I just felt the tone was wrong the behaviour was threatening unnecessarily so, I have seen fights start for less.
I could have asked him if he would like me to spank him with my driver or flop him with my wedge 🤣 but I suspect the brutal honesty of it all was the bloke was not very good at the game

I'm guessing that you are absolutely spot on about his ability. An alternative I use is 'mind if I play through - better not having me pushing for you guys to enjoy your round as you are'