Abusive call through

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The problem here is it would get turned round and I would be seen as the abusive member.
The problem is that during the week certain membership groups feel they own the course and behave in that manner.
When there is a member who is not part of that group, conflict ensues, not often does it actually boil over into arguments but does manifest itself in snide remarks and general scowling.
I am currently not part of the retired old boys group, I am not welcome either, nor am I part of the ladies contingent ( although I am not adverse to playing with the ladies).
I guess I am a loner, but that is the beauty of golf you don’t have to play with anyone. I am one of the weekend mob.

No member should feel like that at your own club, if you didn’t want to confront them,and sometimes that can be more prudent, you could always have a quite word with a committee member or club captain.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No member should feel like that at your own club, if you didn’t want to confront them,and sometimes that can be more prudent, you could always have a quite word with a committee member or club captain.
I was going to have a quiet word, hopefully get the secretary to pop out an email about courtesy and slow play

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You’ll probably find if they were younger they’d be on road bikes dawdling along wearing hand-me-down cycle team lycra. Whenever people with poor manners or etiquette are coerced into changing, they try to find a way to act the victim. They’re like neighbours who let their visitors park over your drive constantly and then call you “un-neighbourly” when you ask them not to.

Just be thankful that “managing your speed” is a line directly borrowed from their wife.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I find there is a distinct lack of etiquette these days.

I played yesterday as a single. Right from the off I was stuck behind a 4 ball who took 20 minutes to complete the first hole. They were a fraction over 15 minutes playing the second looking for balls twice. On the third they were once again looking for a ball about 100 yards from the tee for over 5 minutes while I was standing on the 3rd tee (hands on hips with my best pissed off expression) and they didn't even crack a light or acknowledge me.

I ended up walking from the 3rd tee over to the 5th tee to get in front of them. Wasn't very impressed but it was probably the best solution as I was fairly confident these ignorant people were not going to allow me through.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find there is a distinct lack of etiquette these days.

I played yesterday as a single. Right from the off I was stuck behind a 4 ball who took 20 minutes to complete the first hole. They were a fraction over 15 minutes playing the second looking for balls twice. On the third they were once again looking for a ball about 100 yards from the tee for over 5 minutes while I was standing on the 3rd tee (hands on hips with my best pissed off expression) and they didn't even crack a light or acknowledge me.

I ended up walking from the 3rd tee over to the 5th tee to get in front of them. Wasn't very impressed but it was probably the best solution as I was fairly confident these ignorant people were not going to allow me through.

never ceases to suprise me why people do this, makes no sense, let you through, and they would never see you again on the course

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
So they were literally inviting you through and then telling you to play slowly in front of them?

Did they need you as an excuse for their round time?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So they were literally inviting you through and then telling you to play slowly in front of them?

Did they need you as an excuse for their round time?
By the time they finished, I had some lunch + 1/2 San Miguel and input my round stats and was driving out the club. I don’t eat very quickly, but I do drain a beer ☹️

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I disagree and think you should have held back from the 2 ball. Your a single player and have no standing. That's my view anyway which is clearly in the minority

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I disagree and think you should have held back from the 2 ball. Your a single player and have no standing. That's my view anyway which is clearly in the minority
You are (some years) out of date!
Etiquette section of The Rules was changed quite a while ago. A single player 'has standing' just as much as a group.

Swango1980

Visit site
That's a complete contradiction to the definition of etiquette, even if you thought it was true. Of course, you are wrong as others pointed out anyway.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thank you for enlightening me to the rule change I was not aware. However I still maintain my opinion and as it is an opinion it can't be wrong as pointed out.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you for enlightening me to the rule change I was not aware. However I still maintain my opinion and as it is an opinion it can't be wrong as pointed out.
Opinions are wrong on occasion, Gary Glitter had an opinion that was outside the law, your opinion is outside the rule set as well... therefore it is wrong, but you won’t be thrown in prison or put on a register, you may receive verbal abuse questioning your knowledge of the rules and your inability to apply.

Enjoy your golf.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

so you wouldn't let a single through if you were in a fourball with no one in front of you?