Abusive call through

D

Deleted member 15344

And I'm sure they would have let the gentleman through at some point after the fifth hole. I suspect the course is a private members course. Isnt being a member of the same club supposed to show respect to the other members. It's a club isnt it. I'm sure a single player out to go around as quick as humanly possible would get as much benefit running down the street with clubs on his back if exercise is the name of the game.

🤦‍♂️

Let’s look at the facts

You know the updated etiquette rules now

The single player went out for a game of golf - and was held up by a 2 ball who were that slow they couldn’t keep up with a three ball so as per etiquette rules they should allow the quicker group ( the single player ) being held up through

The two ball it appears require the same education of pace of play rules as you have been given

The pair showed a clear lack of etiquette and poor manners on a golf course. I hope you don’t act in the same way as they did

D

Deleted member 16999

And I'm sure they would have let the gentleman through at some point after the fifth hole. I suspect the course is a private members course. Isnt being a member of the same club supposed to show respect to the other members. It's a club isnt it. I'm sure a single player out to go around as quick as humanly possible would get as much benefit running down the street with clubs on his back if exercise is the name of the game.
Why do you keep insisting a single player is trying to get round quickly as possible, they may be simply playing at their own pace, we have a guy at our place who goes out regularly on his own and takes nearly 3 hours, he will often stand aside for quicker 2 or 3 balls and slower 2 or 3 balls will let him through.

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
While I suspect someone is trolling for reactions here, the overriding attitude “I shalt not let thy past” is shockingly prevalent.

We played as a 3 ball on Mannings Heath Waterfall the other day including requesting a 2 ball to play through in sub 3.5 hours.

We were keeping pace with the group in front but this 2 ball were hitting up to us on the fairway before we’d played our approach shots. Incredibly poor mannered and completely oblivious to how rude they were being.

The point is that unless you are a (insert suitable derogatory descriptor here), why on earth would you want to hold a faster group (including a single) up? It can only be the same as those people who lane hog and then get self righteous about being tailgated. I’m not condoning the tailgaters but the lane hogger will rarely accept that their behaviour was the main driver in bringing about the situation.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
🤦‍♂️

Let’s look at the facts

You know the updated etiquette rules now

The single player went out for a game of golf - and was held up by a 2 ball who were that slow they couldn’t keep up with a three ball so as per etiquette rules they should allow the quicker group ( the single player ) being held up through

The two ball it appears require the same education of pace of play rules as you have been given

The pair showed a clear lack of etiquette and poor manners on a golf course. I hope you don’t act in the same way as they did
Were you there that day?

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
While I suspect someone is trolling for reactions here, the overriding attitude “I shalt not let thy past” is shockingly prevalent.

We played as a 3 ball on Mannings Heath Waterfall the other day including requesting a 2 ball to play through in sub 3.5 hours.

We were keeping pace with the group in front but this 2 ball were hitting up to us on the fairway before we’d played our approach shots. Incredibly poor mannered and completely oblivious to how rude they were being.

The point is that unless you are a (insert suitable derogatory descriptor here), why on earth would you want to hold a faster group (including a single) up? It can only be the same as those people who lane hog and then get self righteous about being tailgated. I’m not condoning the tailgaters but the lane hogger will rarely accept that their behaviour was the main driver in bringing about the situation.
I've made my point of view clear. This is a forum for all opinions whether there agreed upon or not. If your going to put up a story on here just to receive approval of others then I think that is kinda self indulgent

Swango1980

Visit site
I've made my point of view clear. This is a forum for all opinions whether there agreed upon or not. If your going to put up a story on here just to receive approval of others then I think that is kinda self indulgent
Absolutely fine to share, it's rare that someone is readily willing to admit to everyone repeatedly that they are rude and not to be respected, so I admire your honesty ;)

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was playing a resort course in Portugal on Sunday. The course was 2 loops of 9 with tee times specified for the 1st and the 10th. We arrived to join a queue on the 1st and teed off pretty much on time. As we arrived at the first a one-ball also arrived at the 1st who had been asked to start at the 10th. He was very early, and asked if he could play ahead of us. We all said yes. After all a one-ball is unlikely to hold up three 3-balls and two 4-balls. The starter stepped in and said a firm "no"; he had to tee off at his allocated time.

Then I overheard the starter talking to the society behind ours. He said there was a one-ball behind them. They all immediately said "don't worry we'll let him through as soon as he appears". The starter gave them a definite "no - do not let him play through".

Was quite shocked.

D

Deleted member 15344

Were you there that day?

Do i need to be or am I ok to take the word of a respected forum member?

You are clearly firmly of the belief that your opinion in regards single players is right despite it being factually incorrect.

Some golfers will always be ignorant towards etiquette and other golfers - that’s just human nature

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I wouldn’t try to teach a donkey algebra, therefore, I wouldn’t attempt to modify your attitude of wilful ignorance and arrogance with the carrot approach. You’d just get a buggy from the pro shop approach you and tell you to adhere to etiquette or sling your hook.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t try to teach a donkey algebra, therefore, I wouldn’t attempt to modify your attitude of wilful ignorance and arrogance with the carrot approach. You’d just get a buggy from the pro shop approach you and tell you to adhere to etiquette or sling your hook.

As a line lifted from a colleague

I refer you to item 10

'TMAC'

The mans a c***

Sums up his attitude perfectly

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Do i need to be or am I ok to take the word of a respected forum member?

You are clearly firmly of the belief that your opinion in regards single players is right despite it being factually incorrect.

Some golfers will always be ignorant towards etiquette and other golfers - that’s just human nature
Totally missing the point. I am referring to this situation and this situation only. I dont give a monkeys what rules say you should and shouldn't do what I am saying is putting unnecessary pressure on 2 ball in front after a few holes of golf is neither necessary or in the spirit of the game. They may well of been playing a match and the guy behind could gave influenced a missed putt or shot with his pressuring attitude and desire to progress his way through 2 groups after only 4 holes of golf. What was his loss playing on his own. Did he really need to go somewhere important. Cod he have not waited to the 9th hole halfway and then see what they said. It typifies to me the way modern society has become and the majority of forum members also. The me me me attitude. No courtesy to respect and no class as other posters not yourself have dropped to such a level as to use crude vulgar expletives because I posses a different viewpoint to them.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally missing the point. I am referring to this situation and this situation only. I dont give a monkeys what rules say you should and shouldn't do what I am saying is putting unnecessary pressure on 2 ball in front after a few holes of golf is neither necessary or in the spirit of the game. They may well of been playing a match and the guy behind could gave influenced a missed putt or shot with his pressuring attitude and desire to progress his way through 2 groups after only 4 holes of golf. What was his loss playing on his own. Did he really need to go somewhere important. Cod he have not waited to the 9th hole halfway and then see what they said. It typifies to me the way modern society has become and the majority of forum members also. The me me me attitude. No courtesy to respect and no class as other posters not yourself have dropped to such a level as to use crude vulgar expletives because I posses a different viewpoint to them.

Your attitude has backed you into a corner, accept the etiquette rules have moved on and respect the quicker players.
People who stay within the boundaries of the hole usually are quicker, by virtue they find their ball quickly. People who place their bags at the next tee side of the green and put head covers on as they walk .. are quicker than those who don’t.
I don’t walk fast, I don’t hit up on people my pace is average. I have a couple of practice swings look down the line aim up the club and hit it, watch it fly and land and pop the club back in the bag and go. I can even talk and walk at the same time .. which for some people is too hard.

There is no mystery or aggression in it. If you cannot do it or you want go and smell the flowers or have a wee in your favourite clearing, so be it, but if your caught up let the player through and be polite about it!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Although right or wrong I'd wager there's plenty courses where the committee has determined the priority on the course is still 4-ball, 3-ball, 2-ball...

Members of those courses might read a thread like this with a different point of view

Swango1980

Visit site
If a player playing on their own, and assuming that they don't lose their ball on their first drive, will almost certainly be held up by a larger group in front as soon as they start the round, even if that player plays at a normal or even slow pace. So, your argument about a speedy golfer putting loads of pressure on the golf in front seems absurd, I've no idea where that came from. Did you get that from the original post, or was there a subsequent post that somehow clarifies your viewpoint?

If you take the original post, it simply said "Was behind a 2 ball for a 4 holes till I got called through". It never said the first 4 holes, he could have caught up with them on the 11th and they let him through on the 14th / 15th. However, it's irrelevant if it was the first 4 holes or not. In addition, the player never said he was putting them under pressure or playing too fast, all he said was that it was the perception of the group in front that he was too fast. You've just then written your own scenario loosely based on that.

Anyway, I thought your initial viewpoint was that a 1-ball has no standing, and then should not be let through at all. However, have you changed your tune? Because now you seem to be implying that the 1-ball should not be putting pressure on the group in front during the early holes. If that's the case, then when can they put the pressure on. You state 9th hole might be the time to test the water (which could be over 2 hours into the round already). What about the 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th? And, at whichever point you consider to be acceptable, would the 1-ball then have a standing and would you consider letting them through. If yes, it defeats your initial argument. If no, it defeats your second argument that I'm replying to here.

Also, if you are playing in a 2-ball, and are behind a 3 or 4 ball from the beginning, would it be acceptable to be considered for a call through in holes 1-4?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Given the scenario described by the OP that there was clear space in front of the 2 ball I would like ask you a very simple question that requires just a yes or no answer.

Do you think it would have been a big hardship for the 2 ball to stand aside for 2 minutes to allow the single player through?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You have missed the point that society now deals in facts instead of believing the bull of people who claim to know?

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
If a player playing on their own, and assuming that they don't lose their ball on their first drive, will almost certainly be held up by a larger group in front as soon as they start the round, even if that player plays at a normal or even slow pace. So, your argument about a speedy golfer putting loads of pressure on the golf in front seems absurd, I've no idea where that came from. Did you get that from the original post, or was there a subsequent post that somehow clarifies your viewpoint?

If you take the original post, it simply said "Was behind a 2 ball for a 4 holes till I got called through". It never said the first 4 holes, he could have caught up with them on the 11th and they let him through on the 14th / 15th. However, it's irrelevant if it was the first 4 holes or not. In addition, the player never said he was putting them under pressure or playing too fast, all he said was that it was the perception of the group in front that he was too fast. You've just then written your own scenario loosely based on that.

Anyway, I thought your initial viewpoint was that a 1-ball has no standing, and then should not be let through at all. However, have you changed your tune? Because now you seem to be implying that the 1-ball should not be putting pressure on the group in front during the early holes. If that's the case, then when can they put the pressure on. You state 9th hole might be the time to test the water (which could be over 2 hours into the round already). What about the 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th? And, at whichever point you consider to be acceptable, would the 1-ball then have a standing and would you consider letting them through. If yes, it defeats your initial argument. If no, it defeats your second argument that I'm replying to here.

Also, if you are playing in a 2-ball, and are behind a 3 or 4 ball from the beginning, would it be acceptable to be considered for a call through in holes 1-4?
Thank you for the sensible constructive answer as opposed to others on here.

Interesting points made for sure. I have never had any any objection to letting a faster group through. What I dont like is a one ball going through two groups in first 4 holes then criticising the two who only made a suggestion to him in regards managing his speed. If I was playing in a two ball I would have done the same. That's being honest with my feelings not phoney fake.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Crikey, I didn't expect this when I read the thread!

For my take, I've said it often, I don't really have an issue with slow play per se, as long as the group in question stand aside and let other groups through. That's it. If a group want to take 5 hours on a Saturday afternoon, I'm not going to stop them, I would just hope that as soon as people get up behind them that they step aside and let them through. No matter what size the group.

It's really that simple. Be courteous and let faster people through.

Too many people have this attitude of "I'm not letting these through for whatever reason"... etc etc THATS the incorrect attitude. Just stand aside, say hello, ask how they are playing. No need for rudeness and huffiness.