Abusive call through

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Comparing my opinion on a golf matter go Gary Glitter opinions is a bit unfair. I am sure most are guided by the rules as opposed to strictly adhering to them. Etiquette can also be allowing players in front courtesy to not feel pressured. Already the poster stated he had gone through another two ball before the incident on the 5th tee. I personally would not be out to cause any type of disruption to two groups of 2 players especially so early o in the round. Why cant a single player play 2 balls, have a few extra putts or replay a chip. If the urgency to go through and finish the round as quick as possible was his desire then in my experience nipping across a fairway to a hole in front has never caused me an adverse reaction.

D

Deleted member 21258

Comparing my opinion on a golf matter go Gary Glitter opinions is a bit unfair. I am sure most are guided by the rules as opposed to strictly adhering to them. Etiquette can also be allowing players in front courtesy to not feel pressured. Already the poster stated he had gone through another two ball before the incident on the 5th tee. I personally would not be out to cause any type of disruption to two groups of 2 players especially so early o in the round. Why cant a single player play 2 balls, have a few extra putts or replay a chip. If the urgency to go through and finish the round as quick as possible was his desire then in my experience nipping across a fairway to a hole in front has never caused me an adverse reaction.

A lot of courses forbid practise on the course, if you read the club rules.

Personally I comply with the suggested rules that a one ball has standing on a course but really if a one ball catches us up, we let the one ball pass as soon as possible, they almost never slow down a round, as they are so quick and I would rather see then enjoy their round.

Always let quicker groups though whatever they are.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
A lot of courses forbid practise on the course, if you read the club rules.

Personally I comply with the suggested rules that a one ball has standing on a course but really if a one ball catches us up, we let the one ball pass as soon as possible, they almost never slow down a round, as they are so quick and I would rather see then enjoy their round.

Always let quicker groups though whatever they are.
And your entitled to your opinion just as I am mine

dronfield

Visit site
And your entitled to your opinion just as I am mine

Arent we talking about 2 different scenarios here?

When we are playing, if a single is playing 1 ball, we will always look to let him/her through at the first opportunity. Makes sense for all parties.

However, now and again you will see a single on the course who is playing 2 tee shots, having a few practice putts, and happy to complete a round at their pace and dont want to be let through.

Just judge the particular situation, make the right decision and everyone is happy.

Rich

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Arent we talking about 2 different scenarios here?

When we are playing, if a single is playing 1 ball, we will always look to let him/her through at the first opportunity. Makes sense for all parties.

However, now and again you will see a single on the course who is playing 2 tee shots, having a few practice putts, and happy to complete a round at their pace and dont want to be let through.

Just judge the particular situation, make the right decision and everyone is happy.

Rich
I am afraid I did that yesterday almost.
There was a pair of ladies in front of me from the start.
I had a demo club in the bag and was intending to do a quick 7 holes then slide over to the practice ground and smash the lights out of the demo club.
I waited for the pair to complete the hole, they were good players, and moving at good pace, no army golf or weeding. So I managed my pace and hit a few drives with the demo club ( by the way the pro/ course manager told me I could before we explore that tangent).
Everything was fine I did not catch up to them or have to stand on tee waiting until 12, when they were slowed down by a pair in front of them. I dropped back, by waiting for them to clear the tee behind the green before playing my second shot. I think I backed off once again. I came into the club house and they said to me sorry, I said it was all fine for me and they said they were playing their scratch final. Hence the rather good golf!

So yes I can manage my speed if need be, but when someone is slow and there is no one in front of them, they should clear out the way as per the etiquette rules. Not opinion point of fact.

Although I would ask the question does a scratch match play competition have precedence over any groups wanting to play through? I did not think it did, but correct me if I am wrong.

D

Deleted member 16999

I am afraid I did that yesterday almost.
There was a pair of ladies in front of me from the start.
I had a demo club in the bag and was intending to do a quick 7 holes then slide over to the practice ground and smash the lights out of the demo club.
I waited for the pair to complete the hole, they were good players, and moving at good pace, no army golf or weeding. So I managed my pace and hit a few drives with the demo club ( by the way the pro/ course manager told me I could before we explore that tangent).
Everything was fine I did not catch up to them or have to stand on tee waiting until 12, when they were slowed down by a pair in front of them. I dropped back, by waiting for them to clear the tee behind the green before playing my second shot. I think I backed off once again. I came into the club house and they said to me sorry, I said it was all fine for me and they said they were playing their scratch final. Hence the rather good golf!

So yes I can manage my speed if need be, but when someone is slow and there is no one in front of them, they should clear out the way as per the etiquette rules. Not opinion point of fact.

Although I would ask the question does a scratch match play competition have precedence over any groups wanting to play through? I did not think it did, but correct me if I am wrong.
We have a Club rule that competitions have priority on the course over social golf.
Obviously those in the competition can still let players through, but like yourself people tend to back off if they realise the game in front is a competition.

D

Deleted member 15344

You used the word groups.

A single golfer is also classified as a group on a golf course ever since they changed the rule are single players - they have the exact same standing on a course as a 2 , 3 or 4 ball and is treated the same when it comes to pace of play. It’s golf etiquette to let the quicker golfers through regardless of numbers - that’s etiquette and a fact

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
A single golfer is also classified as a group on a golf course ever since they changed the rule are single players - they have the exact same standing on a course as a 2 , 3 or 4 ball and is treated the same when it comes to pace of play. It’s golf etiquette to let the quicker golfers through regardless of numbers - that’s etiquette and a fact
Is it not a fact that etiquette works both ways

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it not a fact that etiquette works both ways

Etiquette works all ways from everyone

Etiquette isn’t playing slowly because the group in front won’t let you through

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Etiquette works all ways from everyone

Etiquette isn’t playing slowly because the group in front won’t let you through
I agree but is putting pressure on a two ball to let you through after 3 or 4 holes of a round conducive to poor etiquette. I say yes 100 percent it is.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree but is putting pressure on a two ball to let you through after 3 or 4 holes of a round conducive to poor etiquette. I say yes 100 percent it is.

Putting pressure on ? Do you mean keeping up with the group in front as you are required to do. It’s not poor etiquette to be sat waiting for a group to let you through

Here is the extract to help you

Keep up with the Group in Front

It is a group’s responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If they lose a clear hole and delay the group behind, they should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, they should also invite the faster moving group to overtake them.

Do not worry about the group behind – keep up with the group in front.

If you feel that your group is falling behind take responsibility and bring this to the attention of the other players in your group.

React positively to the situation.

If your group is behind there is no need to run but try to catch up quickly.

Invite the group behind you to play through if you are delaying them.

Do you see the but that says “irrespective of the number in that group”

It’s simple - if you aren’t holding up a quicker group you let them through regardless of the size of them

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
And I'm sure they would have let the gentleman through at some point after the fifth hole. I suspect the course is a private members course. Isnt being a member of the same club supposed to show respect to the other members. It's a club isnt it. I'm sure a single player out to go around as quick as humanly possible would get as much benefit running down the street with clubs on his back if exercise is the name of the game.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Was behind a 2 ball for a 4 holes till I got called through.
I said thank you, and said it was clear for a few holes behind me.
At that point I got told I should have managed my speed and I was going too fast.
I apologised hit my shot, said I would try not to hold them up and got another comment.

This pair were slow, they couldn’t keep up with a 3 ball in front, had held up another pair and just watching them and they were slow standing around putting head covers on leaving bags in poor places and general wandering around like lost souls.

Was going to have a chat with the pro about it, it poor behaviour and needs to be stomped out fast. If your slow, okay, but you let people through and your polite about it.
I think a would have flipped so well done for keeping calm.

I think clubs really let themselves down by not mentioning basic etiquette to guests (and reminding members periodically). Slow walking, badly placed bags. Badly raked bunkers, un-repaired pitch marks and how to correctly let some through and when is a two minute conversation while taking their cash.