Abusive call through

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you for the sensible constructive answer as opposed to others on here.

Interesting points made for sure. I have never had any any objection to letting a faster group through. What I dont like is a one ball going through two groups in first 4 holes then criticising the two who only made a suggestion to him in regards managing his speed. If I was playing in a two ball I would have done the same. That's being honest with my feelings not phoney fake.
I went through at hole 13. These two slow folks were 6 holes ahead when I started my round. On 7 I was warned they were slow by a 2 ball and wished luck as they had been held up, but were intending to give up after 9 ( how bad is that ? Curtailing your round because some slow play ruins your day! ).
You need to read the posts better .. as well as the updated etiquette rules 🤣

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll let people through whatever the scenario, if they are quicker rock on, nothing worse than being pressurised from a following group.
That’s exactly it, let them through don’t get wound up .. enjoy your round and your day.. no one likes being rushed or delayed.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
That’s exactly it, let them through don’t get wound up .. enjoy your round and your day.. no one likes being rushed or delayed.
Exactly well put. So only as it relates to the initial story of this thread the two older chaps clearly felt rushed and expressed their views. Wht should they be so harshly criticised. I'm glad I've stood up for the older generation who I have respect for not treat like they are worthless and should quietly disappear or leave the course to the young ones who only want to play speed golf.

Swango1980

Visit site
Exactly well put. So only as it relates to the initial story of this thread the two older chaps clearly felt rushed and expressed their views. Wht should they be so harshly criticised. I'm glad I've stood up for the older generation who I have respect for not treat like they are worthless and should quietly disappear or leave the course to the young ones who only want to play speed golf.
It appears your initial comments were somewhat not well expressed, thus misrepresenting your view in general and the negative feedback.

A 1-ball does have a standing in golf etiquette, so if you have that view it is a personal point of view and can't be attributed to etiquette. That's what we've all argued against.

However, it appears that you actually would let a 1-ball through generally, and you are actually expressing a very specific situation where a 1-ball is putting unnecessary pressure on a slower group in front. I could see your point if, say, the 1 ball was shouting out, making snidy comments when they're in ear shot, driving before they're barely out of range, etc. But, none of that was said to occur in the OP, so not really relevant in response to that (unless you had got this info directly from the group in front of course)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It appears your initial comments were somewhat not well expressed, thus misrepresenting your view in general and the negative feedback.

A 1-ball does have a standing in golf etiquette, so if you have that view it is a personal point of view and can't be attributed to etiquette. That's what we've all argued against.

However, it appears that you actually would let a 1-ball through generally, and you are actually expressing a very specific situation where a 1-ball is putting unnecessary pressure on a slower group in front. I could see your point if, say, the 1 ball was shouting out, making snidy comments when they're in ear shot, driving before they're barely out of range, etc. But, none of that was said to occur in the OP, so not really relevant in response to that (unless you had got this info directly from the group in front of course)
I don't get that TBH, if you are playing a game and a single arrives behind you why feel pressured, just let them through, no need to feel pressured, that just a cop out.

just let faster groups Through ( which includes singles) not opinion.... fact

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don't get that TBH, if you are playing a game and a single arrives behind you why feel pressured, just let them through, no need to feel pressured, that just a cop out.

just let faster groups Through ( which includes singles) not opinion.... fact
People do feel pressured regardless of what etiquette says. You cant control how you feel. If a car drives close behind you when you are driving adrenaline is realesed and your heart beats faster. There is clearly many occasions this has happened on a golf course to almost everyone at some stage. All I am suggesting playing devils advocate is we were not there at this particular incident and we do not have both sides of the story only the story given to us by the initial poster. Why should we condemn and vilify this elderly experienced golfer for not being grateful happy and polite when he called the single player through. I just dont get the severe attacks on the guy from forum members and me for defending his position. I totally understand if the single golfer had been kept behind and not called through for 12 or 13 holes or what have you. That would clearly be a disgrace. I happen to think the single golfer in this incident dealt with the matter perfectly well. He apologised and carried on through to enjoy his round. I dont see the need to pursue and criticise the two ball players subsequently

D

Deleted member 16999

People do feel pressured regardless of what etiquette says. You cant control how you feel. If a car drives close behind you when you are driving adrenaline is realesed and your heart beats faster. There is clearly many occasions this has happened on a golf course to almost everyone at some stage. All I am suggesting playing devils advocate is we were not there at this particular incident and we do not have both sides of the story only the story given to us by the initial poster. Why should we condemn and vilify this elderly experienced golfer for not being grateful happy and polite when he called the single player through. I just dont get the severe attacks on the guy from forum members and me for defending his position. I totally understand if the single golfer had been kept behind and not called through for 12 or 13 holes or what have you. That would clearly be a disgrace. I happen to think the single golfer in this incident dealt with the matter perfectly well. He apologised and carried on through to enjoy his round. I dont see the need to pursue and criticise the two ball players subsequently
If none of us were there on the day, how can you say “Why should we condemn and vilify this elderly experienced golfer” at no time has the thread starter stated his or the ages of the 2 Ball, for all we or you know the op could be in his 20’s and the others in their 40’s.
Also how have you come to the conclusion one of the 2 Ball is an experienced golfer?
You seem to be changing the narrative to suit your point of view, then reply to others saying “I'm trying to stick to this situation that actually occurred not hypertheticals ...”
Slightly double standards.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

God your still talking rubbish

Do you want to keep digging?

You are wrong

Accept it

Jog on

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
If none of us were there on the day, how can you say “Why should we condemn and vilify this elderly experienced golfer” at no time has the thread starter stated his or the ages of the 2 Ball, for all we or you know the op could be in his 20’s and the others in their 40’s.
Also how have you come to the conclusion one of the 2 Ball is an experienced golfer?
You seem to be changing the narrative to suit your point if view, then reply to others saying your “I'm trying to stick to this situation that actually occurred not hypertheticals ...”
Slightly double standards.
I stand corrected. I am not sure why I thought they were old. Jeez aloo I'm glad this wasnt a court case as a witness. What the crux of this matter is all about is there are two sides to a sto ry. I'm happy to concede my defence of these 2 golfers has taken a hit.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if you want to stick to the fact, lets do that.

a two ball held up a single for most of the round they commented that he should " manage his pace" the only people in the wrong here are though two.

The OP had a perfect right to expect to get through a slower group and not have to manage anything

Swango1980

Visit site
if you want to stick to the fact, lets do that.

a two ball held up a single for most of the round they commented that he should " manage his pace" the only people in the wrong here are though two.

The OP had a perfect right to expect to get through a slower group and not have to manage anything
Just a slight correction, if we are to stick to the facts. Being held up for 4 holes is technically not "most of the round" ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
it is if its the first 4 holes old bean that 100% of the round:unsure::LOL:
Still not, you'd have had to caveat your phrase with "most of the round so far". However, given a stipulated round in this case was 18 holes, it wasn't most of the round. Also, I think the OP in an earlier comment stated that it wasn't the first 4 holes, but was somewhere on the back 9 that they were let through.

I know it's probably my most pedantic post yet, but best to avoid any sidesteps from the OP, otherwise we may fall into the trap Parky24 fell into right from the start.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still not, you'd have had to caveat your phrase with "most of the round so far". However, given a stipulated round in this case was 18 holes, it wasn't most of the round. Also, I think the OP in an earlier comment stated that it wasn't the first 4 holes, but was somewhere on the back 9 that they were let through.

I know it's probably my most pedantic post yet, but best to avoid any sidesteps from the OP, otherwise we may fall into the trap Parky24 fell into right from the start.
Side stepping is quite slow on the golf course