YouTubers.

Visit site
his videos aren't released in order. So when we see him playing good or bad that could be 6 months ago or last week. So it's hard to guage what his games actually like.

I wonder what the reason is for this… He uploaded a clip at Royal County Down on 15th May and yet the video isn’t released yet and I’m actually keen to see that one given the production quality of his vids.

He’s released 2 actual vids of him playing golf in 4 weeks, so it’s not like it would get lost amongst other content.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
One thing I find a bit pretentious is where the "team" of whichever YouTuber it is sit down in the studio together to discuss some golf aspect or orher.

Not only do I have little interest in their views, but they also seem to waffle on forever.

And why do they insist on wearing headphones for these talk-ins? Is it to make them look cleverer or something?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing I find a bit pretentious is where the "team" of whichever YouTuber it is sit down in the studio together to discuss some golf aspect or orher.

Not only do I have little interest in their views, but they also seem to waffle on forever.

And why do they insist on wearing headphones for these talk-ins? Is it to make them look cleverer or something?

It is probably to check the audio etc as I suspect most of them now release those as Podcasts as well (and that is often the reason they exist).

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think he's actually a good player, but is ruined with nerves.
Yep, but getting angry rather than getting nervous iirc. Either way, the 6 inches between the ears.
No disrespect intended to him - the mental wherewithal required to be a pro golfer, outside of the hitting the ball skills, are why there are so few successful ones.
Needless to say, I have neither!

Burnsey

Visit site
Yep, but getting angry rather than getting nervous iirc. Either way, the 6 inches between the ears.
No disrespect intended to him - the mental wherewithal required to be a pro golfer, outside of the hitting the ball skills, are why there are so few successful ones.
Needless to say, I have neither!

Fair assessment!

He blames every club following every poor shot - if he followed up, he'd own 93 putters 🤣

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought Fryer was the best golfer between them. Or did I fall for a running gag that they call him the best while everyone knows he isn't? His videos are dull, though.

Fryer turned pro off the lowest handicap of the 4 players. Everyone in the area knew his dad from Drivetime, the range at which he taught. Another local player, Tom Murray (son of Andrew Murray - British Masters champion and bbc commentator), was in the same boat at the time .

Both were somewhat of a prodigy in that +2/3 handicaps were rare at the time. Tom went on to win on the challenge tour and had quite a few starts on the European Tour. Sadly injury curtailed his career.

Matt’s main issue was his temperament and anger management . He never pushed on competitively. He’s a really great guy though and I’m happy that he has found his path.

In terms of the 4 on YT, Fryer and Carter were way ahead of Shiels and Finch, although now, Finch looks to have really worked hard and pushed on with his game. It’s good to see him doing well on the local pga circuit, and fair play to him for sponsoring a series of events. I’m not a huge fan of a lot of his content , but I do enjoy those vlogs. Probably because I’m from the area and know the courses etc etc

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s good to see him doing well on the local pga circuit, and fair play to him for sponsoring a series of events. I’m not a huge fan of a lot of his content , but I do enjoy those vlogs. Probably because I’m from the area and know the courses etc etc

I spotted the names of Chris Crowder who I played a pro am with at Dunham Forrest and Jason Dransfield who used to post on here in times gone by.
Good to see them both out being competitive amongst their peers.

I know Chris is competitive because he looked me dead in the eye on the 18th fairway and told me to try and hole it for an eagle from about 160 yards away. Haha he wasn't even joking.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I spotted the names of Chris Crowder who I played a pro am with at Dunham Forrest and Jason Dransfield who used to post on here in times gone by.
Good to see them both out being competitive amongst their peers.

I know Chris is competitive because he looked me dead in the eye on the 18th fairway and told me to try and hole it for an eagle from about 160 yards away. Haha he wasn't even joking.
Yeah Jason used to be the assistant at didsbury before heading back to the Wirral. Think he’s the pro at Heswall still. Great course and a top bloke. Always generous with his time.

I had a couple of lessons with him and booked an hour and was still there after 2 playing chipping and bunker games with him.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah Jason used to be the assistant at didsbury before heading back to the Wirral. Think he’s the pro at Heswall still. Great course and a top bloke. Always generous with his time.

I had a couple of lessons with him and booked an hour and was still there after 2 playing chipping and bunker games with him.

Jason was a nice fella. I had a lesson with him once when I had the hooks.
It was over at the Hoylake Muni. Top man.

4LEX

Visit site
Fryer turned pro off the lowest handicap of the 4 players. Everyone in the area knew his dad from Drivetime, the range at which he taught. Another local player, Tom Murray (son of Andrew Murray - British Masters champion and bbc commentator), was in the same boat at the time .

Both were somewhat of a prodigy in that +2/3 handicaps were rare at the time. Tom went on to win on the challenge tour and had quite a few starts on the European Tour. Sadly injury curtailed his career.

Matt’s main issue was his temperament and anger management . He never pushed on competitively. He’s a really great guy though and I’m happy that he has found his path.

In terms of the 4 on YT, Fryer and Carter were way ahead of Shiels and Finch, although now, Finch looks to have really worked hard and pushed on with his game. It’s good to see him doing well on the local pga circuit, and fair play to him for sponsoring a series of events. I’m not a huge fan of a lot of his content , but I do enjoy those vlogs. Probably because I’m from the area and know the courses etc etc

Good insight into these guys. They should do more stuff together IMO.

Interesting to hear about Fryer and quite surprised at that, maybe short man syndrome? He comes across as a bit of hacker from YT but to be at +3 back in the day was a serious achievement. Carter reminds me of myself, could've been a serious player if he hadn't got involved in other stuff and focused more on golf 😅

Does anyone know what happened to that guy Rob Potter who used to do a lot of stuff with Rick before he took off? Always thought it was a bit weird how he totally binned him off.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Good insight into these guys. They should do more stuff together IMO.

Interesting to hear about Fryer and quite surprised at that, maybe short man syndrome? He comes across as a bit of hacker from YT but to be at +3 back in the day was a serious achievement. Carter reminds me of myself, could've been a serious player if he hadn't got involved in other stuff and focused more on golf 😅

Does anyone know what happened to that guy Rob Potter who used to do a lot of stuff with Rick before he took off? Always thought it was a bit weird how he totally binned him off.

Rob has his own channel, though pretty low subscriber numbers. Haven’t watched any of it so can’t really comment

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The recent video of Grant Horvat playing with John Ram shows that he is probably the best YT golfer.

Whereas the latest Rick Shiels with James caddying shows how much work he would need to still do to get to the Open Qualifying level.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The recent video of Grant Horvat playing with John Ram shows that he is probably the best YT golfer.

Whereas the latest Rick Shiels with James caddying shows how much work he would need to still do to get to the Open Qualifying level.

I'd argue Luke Kwon, closely followed by Grant and Brad Dalke.
Admittedly, Kwon and Dalke were pro golfers at some point.