YouTubers.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bullard has entered and is down to play at Rochester and Cobham.

I be tempted to go along but he'll probably have a.film crew and tubes the idiot following him around.
Feel sorry for whoever gets drawn with him

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You must be an outstanding putter! Haven't seen the recent video, but having watched her playing Crail with Rick Shiels she seemed to hole absolutely everything. Couple of chips in as well if I remember correctly.
Well she four-putted on this one and didn't hole anything until the 15th or so. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Don't get me wrong, she does hole on occasions, but her stroke just looks a bit shaky, touch of Zalatoris about it.

4LEX

Visit site
They touched on this today

Nobody misses out. He isn't taking a place by doing it.

So you're saying there's no limits to the number of entries? As long as you're a professional or scratch golfer you're guarenteed entry to the regional qualifiers?
Or are you swallowing any crap Rick and Guy come out with?

D

Deleted member 29109

So you're saying there's no limits to the number of entries? As long as you're a professional or scratch golfer you're guarenteed entry to the regional qualifiers?
Or are you swallowing any crap Rick and Guy come out with?
There will be hundreds of players entering open qualifying who have no chance of getting through. Are you bothered by them too?

4LEX

Visit site
There will be hundreds of players entering open qualifying who have no chance of getting through. Are you bothered by them too?

Not at all as they're doing it for the love of the game but Rick is doing it for the views and money.

He's seen everyone else doing it and has entered last minute to make a few quid, despite his game being in the gutter.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not at all as they're doing it for the love of the game but Rick is doing it for the views and money.

He's seen everyone else doing it and has entered last minute to make a few quid, despite his game being in the gutter.

Why so bitter about it all? His game being in the gutter doesn't overly work as his videos aren't released in order. So when we see him playing good or bad that could be 6 months ago or last week. So it's hard to guage what his games actually like.

I've not found anything that backs up your claim about professionals knocking amateur entry down. Is there any proof in that? All that seems to be the theme is that anyone can enter so long as their handicap is within the criteria (surely set at that number for a reason)

End of the day just a bit of fun. Not worth getting hot under the collar about.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
In terms of the Open qualifying trend the now with the YouTubers; Finch has the best opportunity and is playing to a different level than the rest imo. Really playing some good looking golf at the moment.
He posted a shocker in the 1st round of the PGA champs yesterday on FB. Hopefully that it out of his system now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He posted a shocker in the 1st round of the PGA champs yesterday on FB. Hopefully that it out of his system now.
I think Finch has had historic issues with nerves in big events and wondered if this was the case yesterday. He has touched upon it over the years. A shame as when he goes out confident he is really good. He looked a proper player at H4H at Camberley including 300 yard 16th which has a big carry over water and he hit the green with ease and made eagle. I think if he can be positive at regional qualifying he could have a great chance

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Finch has had historic issues with nerves in big events and wondered if this was the case yesterday. He has touched upon it over the years. A shame as when he goes out confident he is really good. He looked a proper player at H4H at Camberley including 300 yard 16th which has a big carry over water and he hit the green with ease and made eagle. I think if he can be positive at regional qualifying he could have a great chance
I think he sprays a bit and plays were well in parkland settings where you can be 20 yards of your spot.
I have never been on a links course, but I think once you are a bit off you get punished for it quite a bit?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Why do you hate Shiels so much buddy? Where did he hurt you? 😄

My personal thoughts are that he'll definitely be taking it seriously deep down and trying to qualify, but he's just labelling it as another break 75 to save a little bit of the inevitable flack he always receives. Clearly hasn't worked on you though!

4LEX

Visit site
Why do you hate Shiels so much buddy? Where did he hurt you? 😄

My personal thoughts are that he'll definitely be taking it seriously deep down and trying to qualify, but he's just labelling it as another break 75 to save a little bit of the inevitable flack he always receives. Clearly hasn't worked on you though!

To be fair I've got a lot of respect for him as I said before. He was the first golfer I watched on YT when he did club reviews back at the Trafford Golf Centre. To go from a struggling pro to the most famous YT golfer is amazing and I'm pleased for him.

I just think to treat Open Qualifying with distain is poor form. If he was that bothered, why not enter it months ago and try properly? I'd have more respect if he did that rather than jump on the bandwagon and get his excuses in early! He's done it for the views which is smart as I'll certainly watch it :ROFLMAO:

What do you think he'll shoot? Anyone fancy some spread betting with me on it?

4LEX

Visit site
Why so bitter about it all? His game being in the gutter doesn't overly work as his videos aren't released in order. So when we see him playing good or bad that could be 6 months ago or last week. So it's hard to guage what his games actually like.

I've not found anything that backs up your claim about professionals knocking amateur entry down. Is there any proof in that? All that seems to be the theme is that anyone can enter so long as their handicap is within the criteria (surely set at that number for a reason)

End of the day just a bit of fun. Not worth getting hot under the collar about.

He definitely doesn't release videos that are 6 months old! But you're right about not having the upto date info on his game, as we all know golf is hard and form can come and go.

I've heard personal experiences of it over the years but it depends on the numbers on each qualifying event. I've been balloted out of events despite having a handicap of plus one in the past.

Oh and you're also right about the not getting hot under the collar about it!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fair I've got a lot of respect for him as I said before. He was the first golfer I watched on YT when he did club reviews back at the Trafford Golf Centre. To go from a struggling pro to the most famous YT golfer is amazing and I'm pleased for him.

I just think to treat Open Qualifying with distain is poor form. If he was that bothered, why not enter it months ago and try properly? I'd have more respect if he did that rather than jump on the bandwagon and get his excuses in early! He's done it for the views which is smart as I'll certainly watch it :ROFLMAO:

What do you think he'll shoot? Anyone fancy some spread betting with me on it?
Well that's the thing, he's a full time YouTuber, absolutely everything he does now is for content. It's literally his job. Coming up with fresh stuff all the time must be difficult, so entering Open qualifying is a bit of an open goal on that front. He'd almost be silly not to.

I reckon he'll shoot 79 and then claim 75 was difficult and it was a break 80 really and he's happy with how he played. 😁

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think he'll shoot 81. In his defence you could see he was a competent player if very rusty at H4H. Managed back to back birdies at one point. Our GM was actually at college with him, Finch, Fryer and Carter. Carter was by far and away the best golfer at the time but was too easy led into getting drunk and not dedicated enough to seeing how far he could go. Finch was the other above average golfer

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Think he'll shoot 81. In his defence you could see he was a competent player if very rusty at H4H. Managed back to back birdies at one point. Our GM was actually at college with him, Finch, Fryer and Carter. Carter was by far and away the best golfer at the time but was too easy led into getting drunk and not dedicated enough to seeing how far he could go. Finch was the other above average golfer
I thought Fryer was the best golfer between them. Or did I fall for a running gag that they call him the best while everyone knows he isn't? His videos are dull, though.