YouTubers.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Aimpoint Express for me (yes I know lol) Will have the original chart for club champs tomorrow as they will have the green speed right up and it'll give me a confirmation of my original read and I can match stimp on chart to correct arm bend to get an accurate read on the putting green before I start

If you’re taking it that seriously, I hope your caddie is upto the job

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just read the green..? 😂
Ha ha, good answer! I used to struggle reading greens, asked pals to explain how they do it but they couldn’t (just look to see where it breaks and work out how much to give it… I CANT SEE IT!!!!!)

Anyway, I watched this video on plumb bobbing a few years ago, totally changed putting for me. Takes 5 seconds to read a putt and I’ve found it pretty accurate. It has its limitations but it’s generally very good. Actually delivering the putt on the right line is another thing altogether mind!

You need to work out how to hold the putter so that it hangs straight down (against a door frame is easiest) and also which is your dominant eye, then you’re ready to go.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha ha, good answer! I used to struggle reading greens, asked pals to explain how they do it but they couldn’t (just look to see where it breaks and work out how much to give it… I CANT SEE IT!!!!!)

Anyway, I watched this video on plumb bobbing a few years ago, totally changed putting for me. Takes 5 seconds to read a putt and I’ve found it pretty accurate. It has its limitations but it’s generally very good. Actually delivering the putt on the right line is another thing altogether mind!

You need to work out how to hold the putter so that it hangs straight down (against a door frame is easiest) and also which is your dominant eye, then you’re ready to go.

I'll have a watch of that, ta. When I read Putting Out Of Your Mind by Bob Rotella he basically said most people over-read it, and your first instinct is usually about right, so I've stuck to that ever since. I pretty much just crouch down, have a look at what I think the line is and then hit the ball. In fairness I've been at my home club over 3 years now so you kind of know where the breaks are and do it from memory half the time. It's only when I go away and the breaks are more subtle that I come unstuck sometimes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'll have a watch of that, ta. When I read Putting Out Of Your Mind by Bob Rotella he basically said most people over-read it, and your first instinct is usually about right, so I've stuck to that ever since. I pretty much just crouch down, have a look at what I think the line is and then hit the ball. In fairness I've been at my home club over 3 years now so you kind of know where the breaks are and do it from memory half the time. It's only when I go away and the breaks are more subtle that I come unstuck sometimes.
Strangely when I did my two Aimpoint courses most students under read the level of slope and therefore the slop

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Strangely when I did my two Aimpoint courses most students under read the level of slope and therefore the slop
When I said over-read in this context, I didn't mean allowing too much break, I mean they spend too long over it, second-guessing themselves and bringing doubt into the equation. So said Rotella anyway. I think there's truth in it anyway. I try and keep the process as quick as I can, and if I have any doubt which way it's breaking I'll just tell myself to aim straight at the cup. It's funny how often you pull it maybe an inch and then discover it breaks left to right a fraction and you hole it. 😄

Anyway we'd better get back to YouTube discussion...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I said over-read in this context, I didn't mean allowing too much break, I mean they spend too long over it, second-guessing themselves and bringing doubt into the equation. So said Rotella anyway. I think there's truth in it anyway. I try and keep the process as quick as I can, and if I have any doubt which way it's breaking I'll just tell myself to aim straight at the cup. It's funny how often you pull it maybe an inch and then discover it breaks left to right a fraction and you hole it. 😄

Anyway we'd better get back to YouTube discussion...
Definitely. All the mental podcasts I've been listening to say do your prep on any shot, trust it and execute with a clear and committed mind.

I can see a youtube comeback for my channel coming (hoorah went the crowd)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For those of us that are dabbling with the Eureka Swing.

Very interesting. He mentioned a few things that were exactly what I liked about the eureka swing when I tried it last week. One thing was I liked the way the open stance restricted my backswing a little so I wasn't overswinging. Second thing, and I'm not using the canes but just kind of visualising them in my head, but I've tended to try and start my backswing on that top line in order to come back through on the same line - and I think in a roundabout way that's getting me close to the backswing position he's talking about there. Visualising that cane is helping me not pick the club up too steeply I think. And I like his thoughts about keeping balanced rather than hanging back to 'hit up' as well. Because ultimately that makes it easier imo.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I didn't really understand his explanation of it to be honest. He said line up the ball and the flag and your putter, but then when he looks at it, the flag is to the left of his putter. So he didn't line them up? Don't get it.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't really understand his explanation of it to be honest. He said line up the ball and the flag and your putter, but then when he looks at it, the flag is to the left of his putter. So he didn't line them up? Don't get it.
So the flag was to the left because of the slope. The weight of the putter head and gravity means it’s hanging exactly vertical (hence the plumb Bob name), and so as the flag was to the left of the shaft it’s showing it breaks to the left. It does take a bit of working but will make more sense if you try it on the course.

4LEX

Visit site
Definitely. All the mental podcasts I've been listening to say do your prep on any shot, trust it and execute with a clear and committed mind.

I can see a youtube comeback for my channel coming (hoorah went the crowd)

When my game is back on a decent level, I'll take you on in a match for your channel!

By the way, anyone see Rick is now jumping on the Open qualifying bandwagon and has entered?! He claims it'll be used to see if he can break 75, which is a bit out of order as his entry will mean decent amateurs miss out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When my game is back on a decent level, I'll take you on in a match for your channel!

By the way, anyone see Rick is now jumping on the Open qualifying bandwagon and has entered?! He claims it'll be used to see if he can break 75, which is a bit out of order as his entry will mean decent amateurs miss out.
I don't know how it works but he seemingly just went online and paid the entry fee like anyone could do, so how does that mean someone misses out?

4LEX

Visit site
I don't know how it works but he seemingly just went online and paid the entry fee like anyone could do, so how does that mean someone misses out?

I think professionals get priority entry but amateurs can be balloted out based on their handicap if the places are oversubscribed.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
So the flag was to the left because of the slope. The weight of the putter head and gravity means it’s hanging exactly vertical (hence the plumb Bob name), and so as the flag was to the left of the shaft it’s showing it breaks to the left. It does take a bit of working but will make more sense if you try it on the course.

I'm with Orikoru on this one.
If you've lined the ball up with the flag then it's in line, the slope is irrelevant, unless you're just crap at lining things up.

I sometimes plumbob but only to try and see a high and a low each side of the shaft.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes. He said as such that he is going to go for it to see how he does but the aim is to see if he can break 75 under tournament conditions

Fair play to him

RichA

Visit site
I'm with Orikoru on this one.
If you've lined the ball up with the flag then it's in line, the slope is irrelevant, unless you're just crap at lining things up.

I sometimes plumbob but only to try and see a high and a low each side of the shaft.
Yep. Just watched this and I don't get it either. It might show you a straight line to the hole to help you pick a starting line but can't possibly help you read the slope.

RichA

Visit site

Surely there are far more no hope amateurs entering the ballot than no hope YT pros. They've all got no hope so it probably doesn't really matter.

RichA

Visit site
A year ago I was of the opinion that Bryson is a complete tool. His YT stuff and some recent interviews have left me thinking that he's actually a nice guy who's doing more to make golf appeal to the masses than anyone else with the potential power.
I'm away from home at the moment with nothing to do in the evenings, so I've been watching a bit of YT golf. Most of it is pretty dull after a couple of videos. I'm pretty much stuck with Bryson and Golf Mates now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A year ago I was of the opinion that Bryson is a complete tool. His YT stuff and some recent interviews have left me thinking that he's actually a nice guy who's doing more to make golf appeal to the masses than anyone else with the potential power.
I'm away from home at the moment with nothing to do in the evenings, so I've been watching a bit of YT golf. Most of it is pretty dull after a couple of videos. I'm pretty much stuck with Bryson and Golf Mates now.
Did you see eddie pepperell try and claim it could be all and act as he played with him once and he acted focused when he needed to ..

Bits that stood out to me

“Of course, we’re all a bit like that to some degree, but I do think Bryson is that way. I remember in Saudi Arabia a long time ago when I was there, I lost my luggage and he bought me some toothpaste. He was genuinely very kind. He bought me some toothpaste and a few bits and bobs from the store and the hotel. He did it, nobody else did it and it was very nice.

So he is nice.. however

"“Then I played with him a couple of months after that in Mexico and I remember having a conversation with him… We were having a conversation down one hole and, just mid-conversation he just completely cut out and started talking to his caddie about something else as if he was entirely vacant the whole time."

Sounds like he was doing his job and had to focus on that

Wouldn't majority of top pros do that when required?

Just sounded like Eddie trying to remind us he exists