YouTubers.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I'm playing fun golf people who insist on holing out just slow things up. Can't be bothered. Of course if your score is counting you have to hole out , but for social golf it just slows things up. Like taking the pin out used to when you couldn't leave it in under the rules.

When I'm playing with a mate we will just knock the ball back if it is close. My Mrs like to hole things out , takes about twice as long.
A lot of people now are putting cards in all the time on EG app, so they have to be holing out I guess. I must admit we used to do gimmes in my group of mates - the worse you were playing the more generous they were, haha. But it's self-defeating because as soon as you get to a competition you bottle it when you have to hole a 2 foot putt. So I resolved to start holing everything out for most rounds (until the point my score is so bad I've stopped caring anyway!).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
After the Finch Harrington video, YouTube recommended me a video of Finch playing with Montie. It's 2 or 3 years old, and it's only 15 minutes long! How times have changed. Can you imagine any YouTuber now, booking time with a golf legend and producing less than an hour or two of content, let alone only 15 minutes??

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
^ I don't really get why golf YouTube went that way. I simply do not have an hour to watch a bloke try and play golf, whereas 15 minutes I can manage.

Do people really have that much spare time? It's not a dig. Or do you trade off watching normal TV for golf youtube?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
^ I don't really get why golf YouTube went that way. I simply do not have an hour to watch a bloke try and play golf, whereas 15 minutes I can manage.

Do people really have that much spare time? It's not a dig. Or do you trade off watching normal TV for golf youtube?

I never watch normal TV - can't remember the last time I sat down at a certain time to watch anything on terrestrial tv - I'm not even sure I've done that in the last 3 or 4 years. I'll occasionally put Sky Sports Golf on while I'm sat in the kitchen at my laptop and watch whatever happens to be on. I average around 2 hours a day watching You Tube - but some of that will include music video playlists I've put on to listen to while I'm working.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I just watch it in stages normally in 20 min slots

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Like Mel said, I never really watch terrestrial TV either. My wife and I will watch a series from a streaming service over dinner. If I have a spare hour when she's out with the little one I tend to put one of the hour-long golf YouTube vids on then. I like the 30-40 minute ones too as I put them on my iPad while I'm in the bath after playing football or golf.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I find that a bit bizarre to be honest. Of course we all have different tastes and I've heard of a lot of people going for YouTube over 'normal' TV, so you're definitely not alone. But I find the vast majority of YouTube, golf or otherwise, is just gibberish nonsense. NLU is the only golf channel I know that actually puts out a high level of viewing in a longer format, and even they can get a touch tiring sometimes.

Horses for courses and all that I guess.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Yes to Bath viewing by the way - I have a little step ladder that I use to prop up my laptop. But generally I just watch programmes on Netflix or Iplayer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find that a bit bizarre to be honest. Of course we all have different tastes and I've heard of a lot of people going for YouTube over 'normal' TV, so you're definitely not alone. But I find the vast majority of YouTube, golf or otherwise, is just gibberish nonsense. NLU is the only golf channel I know that actually puts out a high level of viewing in a longer format, and even they can get a touch tiring sometimes.

Horses for courses and all that I guess.
I feel more the other way. Can't be bothered to get into another series or what have you, but if I stick a golf YT video on it's a standalone video, easy to watch some guys knocking a golf ball around and having a laugh, don't have to get too invested in it. I guess I like golf too much, when I'm not playing it I'm watching other people play it. 😂

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
YouTube golf is something I can have running in the background. Other videos I have to concentrate but for golf it’s audio pleasure with ‘occasional’ glances.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I feel more the other way. Can't be bothered to get into another series or what have you, but if I stick a golf YT video on it's a standalone video, easy to watch some guys knocking a golf ball around and having a laugh, don't have to get too invested in it. I guess I like golf too much, when I'm not playing it I'm watching other people play it. 😂
My enthusiasm for golf in general has definitely decreased over the last 3 years, so I wonder if that's something to do with it too. And you're definitely right about not having to keep your eye on the TV every second, whereas with some film and TV you can't miss anything as otherwise the plot won't make sense.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

Yes, I do this.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Think this channel might be worth a follow...

Only 5 days old and just 12 subscribers so far, but from the short videos already uploaded it looks like it could be a funny one to watch.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
To be fair, it'd be hard pushed to beat the other one I tipped to do well, which has had 700% growth in just over 12 hours. ;)

just tried watching that other one (feel old typing this but) just too much whooping and hollering for me to reach 4 mins. I don't want the blazers and bankers lamp brigade either mind you

I guess i'm stuck in a YT no-mans land

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
just tried watching that other one (feel old typing this but) just too much whooping and hollering for me to reach 4 mins. I don't want the blazers and bankers lamp brigade either mind you

Yeah, it’s slightly out of my parameters as well, but I hope it does well, cos it’ll be great for taking the game to the younger generations (y)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

My channel sits firmly in YT no-mans land. :confused: