YouTubers.

Oggie41

Club Champion
Visit site
Like a lot of things on the internet, he just built the numbers early and wuickly, and reached a threshold that ensures success without actually being better.
I think most of his success is down to the fact he's stumbled on the sweet spot between playing generally decent golf, with a few terrible relatable shots scattered in there. It's no fun watching complete hackers chop it round, and it's not much fun watching the really good YouTubers play consistently well (may as well watch the pros if you're wanting to watch quality golf). I always lose interest after a few holes watching the likes of Peter Finch, but you always get some drama with Rick.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think most of his success is down to the fact he's stumbled on the sweet spot between playing generally decent golf, with a few terrible relatable shots scattered in there. It's no fun watching complete hackers chop it round, and it's not much fun watching the really good YouTubers play consistently well (may as well watch the pros if you're wanting to watch quality golf). I always lose interest after a few holes watching the likes of Peter Finch, but you always get some drama with Rick.

He really has taken off

I used to watch his, finch , cross field plus Me and my golf

Crossfield plus me and my golf are the better coaches

Finch is the better golfer, plus very funny

Yet rick finds the right balance for entertaining

I mean he launches a podcast during COVID, I give it a chance then bamn now it's twice a week regular listening to basically waffle

The break 75 series. Brilliant, as we saw recently (twice) the 18th can make or break it

The 10 shot tour pro challenge? Fantastic

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Maybe he has something in the mates-playing-matches scene but I dont watch those from any of the youtubers. I guess its a bit like the Peter Alliss or Terry Wogan golf that used to be on TV in the 80s, but I just dont see the attraction of matches between effectively nobodies. Some of them, where the guest is a serious golfer, and its more of a walking interview - Iona Stephen with Adam Scott recently - can have interest.
But just matches with low level humour bants, I think we can all just do ourselves with our mates.

Crossfield is way ahead of him for equipment and playing coaching. Lockey, for coaching as well. I am not sure Rick has anything to offer at all on swinging or playing really.
On equipment, Crossfield is better, but seems to have lost true independence lately on gizmos and aids. Ask golf Nut is way ahead of Rick on equipment.

Rick does do some good interviews when they are straight interviews with proper golfers. So he can do it. He had a good one with Fleetwood a few months ago - but I think Tommy is probably an easy good interview anyway, he his so likeable and honest. Maybe its just the good is lost in the 90% waffle filler in the drive to keep churning out 'content' as they call it.

Stacked Golf is repetitive, but an interesting niche that was innovative. The honest obsession is very winning.

Hard to tell what Finch is. More or less Shiels, but didnt conquer the high ground, and so is just marooned as Shiels lite without the big subscriptions. We are a while away from PF merch I think...

TXG Golf is worth a look now and again for a laugh, and some insight down the lunacy of the 'fitting' rabbit hole. Man, have those guys swallowed the blue pill.

Bebetter Golf, and Athletic Motion Golf, for hardcore searching for the swing secret I would always watch (although bbg has gone down a mystical golf rabbit hole of his own lately with swing sounds and an astrologer riddler savant from Aus).

Padraig Harrington, sparse additions, but unmissable - if you could bottle and sell that enthusiasm for golf !

Bryson, not sure why he is doing it (needs to keep his profile up somehow from the obscurity of LIV ? ), but he is an interesting guy, and entertaining.

Average Golfer is still a man looking for his style, and may find it in his easy going grass roots golf odyssey, but I usually struggle to watch one through fully.

Podcasts are where its at though, for the quality golf media, rather than youtube !

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Great if you want to feel a bit better about your own game though
I got a couple recommended on YT, bogey golf and up and down golf, and they do entertain (in their own way) while having wake up coffee in the morning

Enthusiastic amateurs (& mates) mostly harmless and not sweary club-chuckers, just doing what a lot of players do but happy to let us see their failures and occasional triumphs

Springveldt

Visit site
Seb Carmichael Brown…now there’s a guy with a rather inflated sense of himself and of his importance - though that was rather down to William Hunt esq.
Had to google him. Turns out I knew who is brother is though as I play a lot of FIFA. Never knew Spencer's surname, guess if I did it would have clicked much quicker.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shiels hasn't done any coaching vids for ages anyway has he? I thought he was focussed on course vlogs, rounds with pros & other YouTubers etc and club reviews on the other HIT channel. Can't remember the last time he offered any coaching advice. Looks like he's only done 2 or 3 in the last year. He's obviously realised that's not his niche anymore and left it to the others.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shiels hasn't done any coaching vids for ages anyway has he? I thought he was focussed on course vlogs, rounds with pros & other YouTubers etc and club reviews on the other HIT channel. Can't remember the last time he offered any coaching advice. Looks like he's only done 2 or 3 in the last year. He's obviously realised that's not his niche anymore and left it to the others.

Wasn't it because when he first started he was a coach and looking to expand his market...him and Finch got people coming from all kinds of places for lessons

Now he's moved away from coaching to focus literally on YouTube

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah, it's good seeing a battle between two old mates. Surprised at Finch getting some hate on here, I quite enjoy his self-deprecating humour.
I'm the same, I tend to watch more of his than anyone else.
I don't mind Rick but do get annoyed with the constant "I'm going to nuke this" when it's obvious that it's not the right club - he then seems genuinely surprised when he constantly pulls everything left. Also, he will often say that he can't understand how he isn't scoring well but playing well when he's pretty much missed every fairway & put himself in some horrendous positions, so 99% of the time, will attempt some hero shot which doesn't work. I know it's YouTube and people don't want to watch the safe option but sometimes you just shake your head. I also can't watch any of his vids with Guy - he just isn't funny.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't mind Rick but do get annoyed with the constant "I'm going to nuke this" when it's obvious that it's not the right club - he then seems genuinely surprised when he constantly pulls everything left. Also, he will often say that he can't understand how he isn't scoring well but playing well when he's pretty much missed every fairway & put himself in some horrendous positions, so 99% of the time, will attempt some hero shot which doesn't work. I know it's YouTube and people don't want to watch the safe option but sometimes you just shake your head. I also can't watch any of his vids with Guy - he just isn't funny.
Guy is annoying. I listen to the podcast but occasionally Guy just fully takes over like he thinks it's the Guy show. He's better off in the background.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The odd one pops up from time to time.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Maybe he has something in the mates-playing-matches scene but I dont watch those from any of the youtubers. I guess its a bit like the Peter Alliss or Terry Wogan golf that used to be on TV in the 80s, but I just dont see the attraction of matches between effectively nobodies. Some of them, where the guest is a serious golfer, and its more of a walking interview - Iona Stephen with Adam Scott recently - can have interest.
But just matches with low level humour bants, I think we can all just do ourselves with our mates.

Crossfield is way ahead of him for equipment and playing coaching. Lockey, for coaching as well. I am not sure Rick has anything to offer at all on swinging or playing really.
On equipment, Crossfield is better, but seems to have lost true independence lately on gizmos and aids. Ask golf Nut is way ahead of Rick on equipment.

Rick does do some good interviews when they are straight interviews with proper golfers. So he can do it. He had a good one with Fleetwood a few months ago - but I think Tommy is probably an easy good interview anyway, he his so likeable and honest. Maybe its just the good is lost in the 90% waffle filler in the drive to keep churning out 'content' as they call it.

Stacked Golf is repetitive, but an interesting niche that was innovative. The honest obsession is very winning.

Hard to tell what Finch is. More or less Shiels, but didnt conquer the high ground, and so is just marooned as Shiels lite without the big subscriptions. We are a while away from PF merch I think...

TXG Golf is worth a look now and again for a laugh, and some insight down the lunacy of the 'fitting' rabbit hole. Man, have those guys swallowed the blue pill.

Bebetter Golf, and Athletic Motion Golf, for hardcore searching for the swing secret I would always watch (although bbg has gone down a mystical golf rabbit hole of his own lately with swing sounds and an astrologer riddler savant from Aus).

Padraig Harrington, sparse additions, but unmissable - if you could bottle and sell that enthusiasm for golf !

Bryson, not sure why he is doing it (needs to keep his profile up somehow from the obscurity of LIV ? ), but he is an interesting guy, and entertaining.

Average Golfer is still a man looking for his style, and may find it in his easy going grass roots golf odyssey, but I usually struggle to watch one through fully.

Podcasts are where its at though, for the quality golf media, rather than youtube !
Finch has had merch out for a while, but it looks as though its just hoodies and t shirts and less obviously related to him than RS tat.

bigyin55

Visit site

'Golf shot' every time rick hits the ball does my melon in.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I think the main reason that Shiels took off and Crossfield didn't, is simply because one of them is likeable and one of them isn't. If you were playing golf and got paired up with Shiels, you would probably have a pleasant 18 holes. If it was Crossfield and he wasn't in a good mood, I can't help but think that you probably wouldn't have that much fun.

4LEX

Visit site
Really don't get people's problem with rick..is it jealousy? I mean seems a down to earth guy who just found a gap in the market and has made something of it

Doesn't mind putting himself out there

Doesn't gloss over his rubbish play

Very likable guy it seems 🤔

I was probably one of his first 1,000 subscribers back in 2012 when there was a lack of golf club reviews on YouTube. To see him go from a skint PGA Pro earning minimum wage at the Trafford Centre to the most famous YouTuber is great and I don't begrudge him any success at all.

I still like his Break 75, Tour Pro challenges and quirky golf club reviews but a lot of his recent stuff is a bit tired. He's grown so quickly that was bound to happen, he's just cashing in while he can. He needs to stick to quality over quantity in my view rather than go through the motions with Guy trying to big him up. I also feel for someone that bangs on about being a pro and a coach he needs to play a lot better. He's got a sim in his house, can play under the guise of work and his game is worse than it was years ago.