YouTubers.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I just came across Bryson on youtube. I 'hate' that guy, but he makes himself likeable on there. That 20 minutes video was great. I am not yet subscribing. Yet.

But the question of best youtube golfer has been settled. This guys knows more stuff than Shields and Finch and Crossfield, .. together.
For one of his puts he said he didn't line up the dimples. Anyone else knew that you line up the dimples?
I agree. I think I had decided I didn't like BdC for stuff he's reported to have said in the past, but I was wrong. I like his YouTube stuff.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I just came across Bryson on youtube. I 'hate' that guy, but he makes himself likeable on there. That 20 minutes video was great. I am not yet subscribing. Yet.

But the question of best youtube golfer has been settled. This guys knows more stuff than Shields and Finch and Crossfield, .. together.
For one of his puts he said he didn't line up the dimples. Anyone else knew that you line up the dimples?

There is a video somewhere explaining the reasoning behind lining up the dimples.
It sounds like complete nonsense to me, but BDC does believe in it. You have to admire his application to his pursuit of achieving great golf scores

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a video somewhere explaining the reasoning behind lining up the dimples.
It sounds like complete nonsense to me, but BDC does believe in it. You have to admire his application to his pursuit of achieving great golf scores
I watched the Club Champion vid about his new irons last night. Basically they were saying they've got slightly curved faces - like a driver face has, to combat gear effect. For mere mortals gear effect has absolutely no effect when hitting an iron, but him it does because of the sheer speeds he's hitting at. They also supposed the set of irons he used for the Masters would have cost him about 10 grand of his own pocket to have them produced (ok, pocket change for him but still). The lengths he's gone to for minor gains are extraordinary.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I watched the Club Champion vid about his new irons last night. Basically they were saying they've got slightly curved faces - like a driver face has, to combat gear effect. For mere mortals gear effect has absolutely no effect when hitting an iron, but him it does because of the sheer speeds he's hitting at. They also supposed the set of irons he used for the Masters would have cost him about 10 grand of his own pocket to have them produced (ok, pocket change for him but still). The lengths he's gone to for minor gains are extraordinary.
They are basically hybrids then? Albeit expensive ones.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well, no - they're irons. But everyone keeps saying they '3D printed' them so I hit this image of them being made of plastic. :LOL: Honestly didn't know you could 3D print metal. :oops:

Spraying metal has been around for years to be fair.
We’d occasionally get the shafts repaired in that manner on the textile machines I used to work on ‘when ar worra lad’.

Nothing worse than a wobbly licker-in or a bouncy stripper…. :ROFLMAO:

HeftyHacker

Visit site

If any of my mates turned up with these on they’re getting slaughtered until they walk off the course 😂
I actually really like the look of them but, alas, I agree - I couldn't walk around with a youtubers logo on my feet. It doesn't quite have the same gravitas as a tiger woods collaboration would have.

I do completely understand these youtubers building brands and releasing merchandise as another income stream (Good Good and Breezy golf come to mind) but when the brand is literally their own initials it just feels odd to me.

Having said that I could say the same about wearing Adi Dassler's shoes, J Lindeberg, Oscar Jacobson etc but at least they've built a brand based around clothing and footwear and not releasing videos on social media. At least Tiger Woods had accomplished something in the game when he released his brand (be that with Nike or his new stuff).

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I actually really like the look of them but, alas, I agree - I couldn't walk around with a youtubers logo on my feet. It doesn't quite have the same gravitas as a tiger woods collaboration would have.

I do completely understand these youtubers building brands and releasing merchandise as another income stream (Good Good and Breezy golf come to mind) but when the brand is literally their own initials it just feels odd to me.

Having said that I could say the same about wearing Adi Dassler's shoes, J Lindeberg, Oscar Jacobson etc but at least they've built a brand based around clothing and footwear and not releasing videos on social media. At least Tiger Woods had accomplished something in the game when he released his brand (be that with Nike or his new stuff).
Yeah I like the look of them,but wearing RS merch or collab gear is a bit 😬

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I like the look of them,but wearing RS merch or collab gear is a bit 😬

100%, I agree they look good but not a chance am I wearing them or buying a shiels putter cover lol 🤣

My main issue with the shoes will be I get my eccos at a good price when they are last season's or being sold off.. no way will I pay for limited additions like that aha

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I get the principle of team merchandise (not LIV), but individual players is already strange to me. And from someone like Tiger to a youtuber, that's a stretch to far.
Not just golf, any youtuber. They all have merchandise these days. Woodworkers, delivery riders, solar panel guys, EV guys, ... who buys any of that stuff?

The Shields shoe, is it cheaper or more expensive than the version without his logo?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's weird what's acceptable and what isn't, though. Wearing a t-shirt with your favourite band on it - absolutely fine. Wearing a t-shirt with your favourite actor on it? No, that'd be weird. I'd definitely file wearing a YouTuber's logo under 'weird' as well. I struggle to believe that enough people buy the Shiels stuff - even his headcovers, towels and so on - to warrant producing it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's weird what's acceptable and what isn't, though. Wearing a t-shirt with your favourite band on it - absolutely fine. Wearing a t-shirt with your favourite actor on it? No, that'd be weird. I'd definitely file wearing a YouTuber's logo under 'weird' as well. I struggle to believe that enough people buy the Shiels stuff - even his headcovers, towels and so on - to warrant producing it.

Slap an expensive price tag on it and the yanks lap it up

Just like carne golf course in Ireland .. hardly got any visitors until they priced their green fees to 100 euros .. suddenly the yanks think "ooo 100 euros it must be amazing"

Not like us bargain hunting Brits

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Slap an expensive price tag on it and the yanks lap it up

Just like carne golf course in Ireland .. hardly got any visitors until they priced their green fees to 100 euros .. suddenly the yanks think "ooo 100 euros it must be amazing"

Not like us bargain hunting Brits
Limited Edition (by limited demand)

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Anyone watched the myrtle beach classic

Just started it … be decent to see aspiring tour pros v YouTubers in a truly competitive environment with a prize on the line

There’s a 15 year old absolutely bombing it as well

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Anyone watched the myrtle beach classic

Just started it … be decent to see aspiring tour pros v YouTubers in a truly competitive environment with a prize on the line

There’s a 15 year old absolutely bombing it as well
It was an interesting concept and good finish, but my god the production and narration was bad.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It was an interesting concept and good finish, but my god the production and narration was bad.
I’m about 75% of the way through, it’s very weird having nobody really talking/narrating each shot. We’re so used to commentators talking over it, or the YouTubers themselves chatting through the yardage, trouble etc. Quite relaxing really.

**NO SPOILERS PLEASE**

HeftyHacker

Visit site

This.

As somebody else pointed out - some of the best content creators were involved (Finch, although he grates on me somewhat, has an excellent production team atm) and it feels like the hosts just completely ignored all that and let their work experience intern have a stab.