YouTubers.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I think Golf Sidekick is very useful for course management tips. Whatever your level it gets you thinking about were you can save shots.

evemccc

Visit site
The production on some of Shiels’ videos are very good quality, a cut above anything else.

His accent and persona tho is geared to his US audience - contrast it to his earlier videos a few years ago his accent is much softer and he is so much calmer and not OTT

What personally grates on all of these YouTubers is their eagerness to pronounce ‘Z’ as Zee…?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
just watched Mr ShortGame after seeing it posted here ealrier and he seems like the only one who uses the same technique for pitching and chipping.

i'll be giving it a go tomorrow afternoon when i venture out

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Padraig Harrington's chipping tips on YouTube are very good. Especially when he gets into the thought process - eg if there's a downslope between you and the hole, chip with the club that will carry past the bottom of the slope as that way, even if you're short, the slope will help get the ball to the hole. For the longer swing stuff I personally don't get any value from YouTube "coaches" and would fare much better with someone looking at my own swing and advising from there.

I would second this.........I was struggling with chipping and bunker play last season and Harrington's short tips videos were fantastic. He keeps things so simple and what he prescribes really works with a bit of practice.

beginnergolfer

Visit site
Golf on YouTube is something I will watch a lot of in winter. I don’t watch it at all in summer

For me it boils down to either 1) entertainment or 2) learning

1) Entertainment is watching well-produced big budget course videos of courses I have played eg Shiels at Birkdale, Carter and Finch at Turnberry, Dan Hendriksen at B&B, or want to play, to help me remember the holes and embed in my memory my round there. Well-shot drone footage, looks nice, dreaming about future rounds etc.

2) ‘ Learning’ is info about equipment, shot-choice, or swing tendency.

‘Equipment’ is either TXG, AskGolfNut or 2nd Swing and about new clubs, spin-rates, forgiveness etc of clubs. Aside from new tech there are often more general nuggets of useful golf info thrown into the presentation

‘Shot-choice’ info is taken from course vlogs, mostly DHG, in terms of explaining what he’s trying to do and why, in any situation

‘Swing tendency’ I will watch much less of. I watch small channels that describe common faults and problems…it is useful to be aware of them but I am very wary of copying them for reasons outlined above. When it does reinforce what has been previously said to me in real-life lessons, it is useful

edit: the only other thing I watch is course drones produced by a golf club and before I play the course. For example Seaton Carew have a v short flyover drone video, I am off there in April. I wouldn’t call this entertainment tho hence why it’s not listed above ?

Talking about entertainment, what are you expectations when you watch these golf youtube channel? I have seen many golf channel like rick shiels, good good and bob does sport. What about the new ones that are smaller, with a different content? For example JH Golf? CEO of Golf?

Springveldt

Visit site

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Steve Johnson at Peebles Golf Club. His channel is great and good instruction.
Yep. I found him by accident recently (I was looking for stack and tilt stuff out of idle curiosity). I thought he was pretty good.
He has an engaging, yet slightly sinister, stage presence!

Jason.H

Visit site
just watched Mr ShortGame after seeing it posted here ealrier and he seems like the only one who uses the same technique for pitching and chipping.

i'll be giving it a go tomorrow afternoon when i venture out

It’s worked wonders for me. I utilise the bounce on every pitch and chip shot.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've noticed Crossfield has changed his tactics on YouTube, probably to get more subscribers as his numbers have been pretty static for a couple of years. He's now trying to play the algorithm game that he's been criticising for a few years, with the standard shocked face thumbnails, new jazzy transitions, shorter and more content etc. Must be pretty jarring for him to see how big some of the other YouTubers have become now compared to him, with Shiels having 2.45M, Danny Maude having 886K subscribers, Me and My Golf with 876K, Peter Finch with 526K and even James Robinson having 227K while he has been stuck in the 320K-390K bracket for years. I wonder if his static subscriber count is/was starting to hurt his sponsorship deals?

For the record, I actually like Crossfield, douchebag and all. I like his honesty in reviews and I love his technical/numbers based content. Also his podcast with Gregg Chalmers and Lou Stagner is brilliant and one I listen to every week.

The podcast shows where he really is, I think. Fundamentally, he is pretty serious about golf improvement and trying to solve the golf 'puzzle'. His instruction and insights are pretty good, but it seems that its yet another driver review that gets the subscribers and pays the bills. So he still does them - but anyone following him for a while, knows he came to the end of that road a good few years ago, and he knows all the clubs are the same, and that the shoftoid thing is fiction. He sprinkles that in in passing regularly enough, but many probably miss it. So he cannot go full golfwrx/txg/mygolfspy either as he couldnt get through it with a straight face, and I think is too honest about that side of things anyway. Now and again he lets loose like his recent old/new Callaway driver comparison, or shaft flex or something. But there is much less interest, or clicks, in really exploring golf improvement where it can actually be made : skill, technique, strategy, fitness and yes, clubs - but playing a chipper or a 7 wood, not upgrading (to mis-use the word) to a new product release. He doesnt have the jokey-blokey entertainment personality value of his competitors for on course match vlogs either. But he is probably the most serious of the youtube names mentioned here.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
The podcast shows where he really is, I think. Fundamentally, he is pretty serious about golf improvement and trying to solve the golf 'puzzle'. His instruction and insights are pretty good, but it seems that its yet another driver review that gets the subscribers and pays the bills. So he still does them - but anyone following him for a while, knows he came to the end of that road a good few years ago, and he knows all the clubs are the same, and that the shoftoid thing is fiction. He sprinkles that in in passing regularly enough, but many probably miss it. So he cannot to full golfwrx/txg/mygolfspy either as he couldnt get through it with a straight face, and I think is too honest about that side of things anyway. Now and again he lets loose like his recent old/new Callaway driver comparison, or shaft flex or something. But there is much less interest, or clicks, in really exploring golf improvement where it can actually be made : skill, technique, strategy, fitness and yes, clubs - but playing a chopper or a 7 wood, not upgrading (to mis-use the word) to a new product release. He doesnt have the jokey-blokey entertainment personality value of his competitors for on course match vlogs either. But he is probably the most serious of the youtube names mentioned here.
Yep. If you get over the initial impression that he's an arrogant arse and persist with it, you realise he makes consistently good content and actually seems like a decent, honest, knowledgable guy. It sometimes feels like he's saying golf consumers are suckers, but he does include himself among our number of lovers of shiny new things we don't really need.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The podcast shows where he really is, I think. Fundamentally, he is pretty serious about golf improvement and trying to solve the golf 'puzzle'. His instruction and insights are pretty good, but it seems that its yet another driver review that gets the subscribers and pays the bills. So he still does them - but anyone following him for a while, knows he came to the end of that road a good few years ago, and he knows all the clubs are the same, and that the shoftoid thing is fiction. He sprinkles that in in passing regularly enough, but many probably miss it.

Can't say I watch alot of his you tube but I do listen to his podcasts regularly.

I don't think he is saying that all clubs are the same. He is not saying you will get more distance out of club x than club y but he still appears to think that getting a club matched or set up correctly for your own swing is important.

As an aside the Sweet spot podcast's latest episode is in part giving advice on whether you can benefit of not from you tube instruction.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't say I watch alot of his you tube but I do listen to his podcasts regularly.

A side game on many of the podcasts - Crossfield, Immelman, Mark Carrol, Stagner - is playing 'does that make sense ?' bingo. Its the hallmark phrase of serious golf discussion !

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The Golf Supply isn't bad - quite enjoy catching up with Ash once in a while if I'm bored. He does good matches.