YouTubers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They used to send me to the Land of Confusion. So I no longer watch any…preferring to stick with what my own Pro/coach has advised me as he knows me; my ball striking, and my faults.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
They used to send me to the Land of Confusion. So I no longer watch any…preferring to stick with what my own Pro/coach has advised me as he knows me; my ball striking, and my faults.

I really hate the 10 minute ones that takes the 'pro' until 9.15s to actually hit a ball. Some really good golfers/teaching pros are really terrible 'presenters'

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rick Shiels did a video a couple of years ago, easy chipping tip it was. Have to say, it transformed my short game, still use it now.

But when it comes to fixing a slice, hitting it further etc, there are a thousand reasons why you’re slicing the ball. One of the videos will be spot on for you but knowing which one is nigh on pot luck!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My god, with that chap plugging his own second hand clubs business last week, it’s like that old yellow pages ad here lately! I’m looking for a book, it’s fly fishing by jr hartley? Oh you do, excellent. My name? It’s jr hartley…

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Same as tips in magazines. There are two types of swing, Bubba & Kuchar are at opposite ends of the scale, from ultra steep to very flat. Jim Hardy in "The Plane Truth" & other books explains how some fundamentals apply to one type of swing but don't work with the other. That's why you see advice which appears to conflict, the pros are more or less teaching their own swing. It is an interesting theory & has helped me. I don't normally take notice of YouTube or magazine tips.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Find out what part of your game needs improving most and look for tips on that one thing.
Getting help from a pro one to one is the best and quickest way to improve but not cheap.

One thing I would strongly suggest you DON'T do is take advice from your playing partners.

evemccc

Visit site
Golf on YouTube is something I will watch a lot of in winter. I don’t watch it at all in summer

For me it boils down to either 1) entertainment or 2) learning

1) Entertainment is watching well-produced big budget course videos of courses I have played eg Shiels at Birkdale, Carter and Finch at Turnberry, Dan Hendriksen at B&B, or want to play, to help me remember the holes and embed in my memory my round there. Well-shot drone footage, looks nice, dreaming about future rounds etc.

2) ‘ Learning’ is info about equipment, shot-choice, or swing tendency.

‘Equipment’ is either TXG, AskGolfNut or 2nd Swing and about new clubs, spin-rates, forgiveness etc of clubs. Aside from new tech there are often more general nuggets of useful golf info thrown into the presentation

‘Shot-choice’ info is taken from course vlogs, mostly DHG, in terms of explaining what he’s trying to do and why, in any situation

‘Swing tendency’ I will watch much less of. I watch small channels that describe common faults and problems…it is useful to be aware of them but I am very wary of copying them for reasons outlined above. When it does reinforce what has been previously said to me in real-life lessons, it is useful

edit: the only other thing I watch is course drones produced by a golf club and before I play the course. For example Seaton Carew have a v short flyover drone video, I am off there in April. I wouldn’t call this entertainment tho hence why it’s not listed above ?

D

Deleted member 1147

Personally I'd say that you need to know what's going wrong before you can fix it. You may have an issue that is caused by something other than what the youtuber tells you is wrong.

For example, if you hit the ball to the right, is it a push or bad aim, is it swing line or clubface etc etc

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Personally I'd say that you need to know what's going wrong before you can fix it. You may have an issue that is caused by something other than what the youtuber tells you is wrong.

For example, if you hit the ball to the right, is it a push or bad aim, is it swing line or clubface etc etc
100%. What I thought I was doing in my swing was in fact nothing whatsoever like what I was actually doing. So when I might try a youtuber instructional I have little idea whether or not what I am doing is actually what I think I am doing.

So for example my shank. I have over the years read and watched multiple instructionals on how to fix it. Problem is that none of them addressed the fundamental problem/flaw in my swing that was the root cause of my doing it. Indeed some of the instructionals for fixing a shank or for, say, what I should do to cause the ball to draw, actually exacerbated the problem. But I did not know my swing. I thought it was fine and dandy as it got me to hcap of 6, but it wasn’t.

My pro immediately spotted the core issue and we have spent quite some time working on the process and thinking (Note I have not mentioned ‘swing’) to resolve the core issue. Indeed as I get more used to what I have been working on with him over the last 18months the frequency of shanks has dropped dramatically. At the same time the change is also putting in place a much more stable foundation for a better and more consistent strike. Shanking was but one manifestation of my core issue.

Pro Yes; Youtube or magazines both a BIG No. For me.

Last edited:

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Padraig Harrington's chipping tips on YouTube are very good. Especially when he gets into the thought process - eg if there's a downslope between you and the hole, chip with the club that will carry past the bottom of the slope as that way, even if you're short, the slope will help get the ball to the hole. For the longer swing stuff I personally don't get any value from YouTube "coaches" and would fare much better with someone looking at my own swing and advising from there.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Can you really get good tips on Youtube and improve your game? What are the best Youtubers to get inspired by? Waste of time?

Can you really get good tips on Youtube and improve your game?

Yes of course you can!

Will all tips work for everyone, of course not!

Will some tips for some some people, yes.

Are there shortcuts to getting better at golf that beat playing as much as possible and self-learning the skills to get around the course in as few shots as possible, I personally believe no.

What are the best Youtubers to get inspired by?

Inspired by or to?

By, because you want to be a Youtuber yourself?

Or to...

Be happier?
Enjoy golf?
Play more?

Newtonuti

Visit site
Can you really get good tips on Youtube and improve your game?

Yes of course you can!

Will all tips work for everyone, of course not!

Will some tips for some some people, yes.

Are there shortcuts to getting better at golf that beat playing as much as possible and self-learning the skills to get around the course in as few shots as possible, I personally believe no.

Agreed, if you know exactly what's wrong with your swing, no harm in watching some Youtube videos for drills or tips, but these blanket statements of fixing every slice, or how to not hook the ball, are just false hope that can end up making things worse.

nickh

Visit site
Golf Youtubers are there for their own benefit. living their dream'; and whilst you may benefit from a tip or two, your overall game would be far better served by a qualified teaching pro who can address the whole. Take a few lessons with a few different coaches and see where the chemistry is and who gets your game and who you can work with long term.

..Nick

Ruggy

Visit site
As with anything on the internet you need to filter out a load of stuff to find the good stuff. Personally I look for hints and tips, the ones I found useful recently:
Rick Shiels video on hybrids and how to use them. Now use mine around the fringe on the green and has made a huge difference to my short game.
Also some driver set-up tips from Mark Crossfield and tee height guidance
The Brad Faxon putting masterclass was amazing and going to watch again

You have to be patient and search a bit but there are some gems

RichA

Visit site
I feel like more tips that help my game have come from watching YouTube than from the 8 pro lessons I've had in the last couple of years.
The lessons I tend to forget or not really understand the explanations - the YouTube stuff that works is always there to rewatch until it sinks in.
We all learn differently.

D

Deleted member 31467

There are loads of good guys out there. Very useful if you want to build the basics into your game but not so good if trying to rectify a specific fault. That requires someone stood next to you watching to see your particular fault. I find youtube better for things like short game and putting tips. Danny Maude, Mr Short Game, Meandmygolf are all decent.

Or if you want to see how to play golf badly try golfmates.

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
Same as tips in magazines. There are two types of swing, Bubba & Kuchar are at opposite ends of the scale, from ultra steep to very flat. Jim Hardy in "The Plane Truth" & other books explains how some fundamentals apply to one type of swing but don't work with the other. That's why you see advice which appears to conflict, the pros are more or less teaching their own swing. It an interesting theory & has helped me. I don't normally take notice of YouTube or magazine tips.

Agree with this. Twigged for me last year when I had a lesson and there’d been something I’d been working on myself that the pro immediately spotted didn’t actually go with the rest of my swing or my grip. Worked on a move that did instead and got immediate benefits from it.

I tend to watch people playing rather than look for tips now, that or some of the course management stuff.