YouTubers.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
There's a programme on SkyGolf doing the rounds about Women's golf...Inci Mehmet is on it say that, to play professional Women's golf you have to have cash behind you..
If you're having to work when you should be practicing/training then the struggle is harder.
I'm sure it's the same in most sports .
And the pressure to maintain that level makes it harder still..

Exactly, without big sponsorship removing some of that fear and pressure of paying the mortgage it must be horrendous. Perhaps a little easier if you're young and able to live with parents but as soon as you're a homeowner with a family to support literally every shot matters and that must be horrendous for your "average" journeyman tour player.

Rick shiels has spoken about sponsoring a lower level tour player for a year and giving an insight into that world. I think that has the potential to be a really interesting series but I suspect the costs involved may be prohibitive (once you factor in the additional costs of a small production crew following them around to events and practice days etc) and the access you'd actually get at events with the likes of other broadcasters, if any, and other players in their groups.

The beard

Visit site
Bob does sports is a really good watch over in the US , 2 average golfers and one great golfer in a guy called fat perez , quite a bit of different content on there channel, lots of humour and some great collabs with the likes of max homa ,keegan Bradley, chase koepka and also a lot of stuff with the good good lads

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Although I find Crossfield's general dickishness and cringy oneupmanship/belittling of others moderately annoying...
(Quite a big "although ")
... I agree.
The other two guests generally keep him in his his box and offer genuine insight and perspectives. As does Crossy tbf, minus all the above caveats.
I think they are co hosts rather than guests. I agree though that Crossfield is a strange mixture of being a bit of a prat at times but also offering pretty good insight at other times.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I think they are co hosts rather than guests. I agree though that Crossfield is a strange mixture of being a bit of a prat at times but also offering pretty good insight at other times.
He talks sense a fair bit, but you always know some sort of bizarre strop is just around the corner. He's sort of like a teenager who appears to be smart, but who also cannot accept a differing point of view.

I'll never forget that ridiculous phone call he had with the Daily Mail. He had every right to be a bit aggrieved with them, but he came out of the whole thing looking like an utter tool.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He talks sense a fair bit, but you always know some sort of bizarre strop is just around the corner. He's sort of like a teenager who appears to be smart, but who also cannot accept a differing point of view.

I'll never forget that ridiculous phone call he had with the Daily Mail. He had every right to be a bit aggrieved with them, but he came out of the whole thing looking like an utter tool.

He is in a delicate position and has to tread a fine line. He has a big following, but he sees fully through the nonsense spouted by club manufacturers, and is prepared to call that out for what it is, but slightly between the lines. He can't risk becoming an industry pariah either.
At his best in the search for how to play better golf at all levels, whether technique, distance, statistics, strategy, tapping into the leading lights in swing teaching, and what can be gained from that through the various technologies of the last 10 years. And he is good on that - thats why I think the longer format discussion on his podcast are his best. The shorter youtube format both provides less scope to explore those topics, but also invites him to the nod and wink or Groucho Marx eyebrow raise clowning when straying into the pr puff.

Hacky

Visit site
I’m quite enjoying Steve Johnstone’s tutorial videos, particularly like the way he explains things in an easy format (I’m quite a beginner at golf who obviously enjoys simple explanation!)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

What was that about the daily Mail?

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm gradually stopping watching golf content on YouTube currently, it's all just the same. Maybe I'll watch more when the weather gets better and I'm out playing more.

I've noticed Crossfield has changed his tactics on YouTube, probably to get more subscribers as his numbers have been pretty static for a couple of years. He's now trying to play the algorithm game that he's been criticising for a few years, with the standard shocked face thumbnails, new jazzy transitions, shorter and more content etc. Must be pretty jarring for him to see how big some of the other YouTubers have become now compared to him, with Shiels having 2.45M, Danny Maude having 886K subscribers, Me and My Golf with 876K, Peter Finch with 526K and even James Robinson having 227K while he has been stuck in the 320K-390K bracket for years. I wonder if his static subscriber count is/was starting to hurt his sponsorship deals?

For the record, I actually like Crossfield, douchebag and all. I like his honesty in reviews and I love his technical/numbers based content. Also his podcast with Gregg Chalmers and Lou Stagner is brilliant and one I listen to every week.

Last edited:

beginnergolfer

Visit site
Who are you watching?
Peter Finch is ok, he has quite a good mix of content.
How has Rick shiels got to 2million subs!
Crossfield, wishes he was shiels.
Danny Maude ? To excitable for me?
Me and my golf... Can't work these out but I'm not a fan.
Bad golf, I like the bloke off taskmaster
Honestly I love watching Good Good obviously but things that are more related to my profil is something like JH golf, new youtubers I guess, these dudes are funny and show our kids or beginners that you still can have fun on the golf course and you can improve without spending a crazy amount of money. Small channel obviously but I am sure they will grow and improve their golf and reach some goals in 2023. What you think? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOTqYTCgyEruPav56C2abjg

Newtonuti

Visit site
I never take much notice of youtuber's lessons, I'm not a golf pro, and have no idea what is going on in MY swing or why. For that reason, I'd much rather just have lessons with a qualified pro.

Jason.H

Visit site
I used to be poor at chipping and pitching. I’m now very good and confident in and around the greens. Thanks to Mr Short Game. Some might find him irritating ???

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Can you really get good tips on Youtube and improve your game? What are the best Youtubers to get inspired by? Waste of time?

I think you need to keep the 'tips' in context
i.e Rick Shiels giving a tip for driving it better is great to watch and works to an extant (& really works for his build/swing) but not so much for a wee fat lad

Also (because he has so much on course content we get to see it warts an all) who'd take a tip from him on chipping! :eek::p