YouTubers.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Hendrikson & Crossfield waffle on way too much about the looks of the club in question, which doesn't interest me at all.
I can see for myself what it looks like & that is very much secondary to me, I'm just interested in how it performs.
My favourites are
Rick Shield
James Robinson
Alex can't remember his surname

Honest no nonsense reviews & interesting content

Albo

Visit site
I don’t get the club reviews on YT, or at least don’t pay attention, Rick telling me how good this or that driver is when his and my swing speed and strike location bear no resemblance to each other. What may work for him may not work for me, it’s all a bit pointless

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don’t get the club reviews on YT, or at least don’t pay attention, Rick telling me how good this or that driver is when his and my swing speed and strike location bear no resemblance to each other. What may work for him may not work for me, it’s all a bit pointless

I literally just use Ricks reviews to see what the clubs look like etc - nothing more! As you say, performance is relative to the golfer so I take all that with a pinch of salt.

Its only when you see all the reviewers agreeing on one aspect of a club, for instance the G425 being forgiving - then maybe it does have some substance for the average joe.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
It can work for you in certain instances. I was contemplating, on a whim, replacing my driver over the weekend, looking for a bit more ball speed. There were two newer, 2022, clubs I had identified as suitable and so started a bit of in-depth research.
In the end it was three reviews by Michael Newton which convinced me not to change. I used him predominantly because he had reviewed both of the clubs, plus my current driver. While my ball speed is nowhere near his, he will be pretty consistent with his ball speed, and so when his reviews showed that my current driver produced more ball speed than the two prospective ones I assumed that the same would be true for me and therefore didn't bother.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Hendrikson & Crossfield waffle on way too much about the looks of the club in question, which doesn't interest me at all.
I can see for myself what it looks like & that is very much secondary to me, I'm just interested in how it performs.
My favourites are
Rick Shield
James Robinson
Alex can't remember his surname

Honest no nonsense reviews & interesting content
I agree with you about the look of a club. Far too much emphasis is put on the looks by just about every reviewer.
Does it do the job it's supposed to do? That's what it's for, can never understand the obsession on the looks of what is essentially a tool.

evemccc

Visit site
I’ve come across and subbed to AskGolfNut’s channel — he is clearly a good ball-striker - and after middling a load he will then purposefully hit from each edge of the club to test forgiveness. His analysis is good and he shows you all the necessary data collected to back-up his opinions

Worth a watch if there is a club or iron set that interests you

Only Ping and Mizuno I think tho

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with you about the look of a club. Far too much emphasis is put on the looks by just about every reviewer.
Does it do the job it's supposed to do? That's what it's for, can never understand the obsession on the looks of what is essentially a tool.

Its the nature of club reviews. There are only three actual differences between different clubs: the looks, the sound, and the manufacturers advertising blub which they call euphamistically, 'tech'. So thats what they are going to fill the time with. Some will show data that confirms they perform the same as the others, or within a margin on various measures that are insignificant in real world golf.
Crossfield's podcast is very good. Some of his non review youtube vids quite good too. Shiels one is spoiled by his own amazement at the brilliance of his own podcasts and content. Immelman is quite good. Average Golfer's youtubes can be decent.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I’ve come across and subbed to AskGolfNut’s channel — he is clearly a good ball-striker - and after middling a load he will then purposefully hit from each edge of the club to test forgiveness. His analysis is good and he shows you all the necessary data collected to back-up his opinions

Worth a watch if there is a club or iron set that interests you

Only Ping and Mizuno I think tho
I've been watching Jay for a few years now...can ramble on a bit but amongst the best reviews imo
He used to work out of Bury St Edmunds golf range so he had access to other brands.
He's recently set up his own studio so may now only have access to Mizuno and Ping

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its the nature of club reviews. There are only three actual differences between different clubs: the looks, the sound, and the manufacturers advertising blub which they call euphamistically, 'tech'. So thats what they are going to fill the time with. Some will show data that confirms they perform the same as the others, or within a margin on various measures that are insignificant in real world golf.
Crossfield's podcast is very good. Some of his non review youtube vids quite good too. Shiels one is spoiled by his own amazement at the brilliance of his own podcasts and content. Immelman is quite good. Average Golfer's youtubes can be decent.

What’s the immelman podcast called?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What’s the immelman podcast called?
'On the Mark'. Its about playing golf mainly - technique, fitness, stats, goals, strategy, etc. Some are bit light on content with a lot wandering ideas, but its genuine in its exploring all avenues about trying to play better golf, with good guests with different views on the topic. Definitely a seeker, leaving no stone unturned. (brother of Trevor Immelman)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree but even he is starting to revisit a couple of courses now with birkdale coming up, and I think wallasey? Sure he's done one there before as well.

Different reasons tho, break 75 tonight .. with guy doing break 80 and James Robinson doing break 70

Looking forward to it settling in now

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Crossfield's podcast is very good.
Although I find Crossfield's general dickishness and cringy oneupmanship/belittling of others moderately annoying...
(Quite a big "although ")
... I agree.
The other two guests generally keep him in his his box and offer genuine insight and perspectives. As does Crossy tbf, minus all the above caveats.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Different reasons tho, break 75 tonight .. with guy doing break 80 and James Robinson doing break 70

Looking forward to it settling in now

Yeah its always a pleasure to watch James play tbf. Lovely guy as well based on the few chances I've had to chat to him at Old Links and Lytham Golf Academy, even in the pub in the summer.

Guy has it right in this instance. James is one of those people who seems to have it all - looks, golfing ability and all round nice chap!

Without giving away too many spoilers, his score in those conditions, albeit on a short course, shoes how far removed these players are from your average golfer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah its always a pleasure to watch James play tbf. Lovely guy as well based on the few chances I've had to chat to him at Old Links and Lytham Golf Academy, even in the pub in the summer.

Guy has it right in this instance. James is one of those people who seems to have it all - looks, golfing ability and all round nice chap!

Without giving away too many spoilers, his score in those conditions, albeit on a short course, shoes how far removed these players are from your average golfer.

Yet you think James struggled to make his living on tour. Well not enough to keep going he felt that coaching was a better move. Yet he is that good!

Didn't even play that well in the video he left loads out there

Jason.H

Visit site
I’ve almost stopped watching YouTube golf , if there’s a review it will be Micheal Newton. I like how he explains the pro,s and cons and which players will benefit ect.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yet you think James struggled to make his living on tour. Well not enough to keep going he felt that coaching was a better move. Yet he is that good!

Didn't even play that well in the video he left loads out there

I wonder how much of it comes down to financial backing and opportunities. A mate of mine raced go karts alongside David Coulthard as a kid, and represented Great Britain with him - but just didn't have the funding to go into single seater racing with a serious budget, where he would start getting noticed.
I suspect it's similar for pro golfers, the more money you have, the more chances you can give yourself to move up through the tours.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's a programme on SkyGolf doing the rounds about Women's golf...Inci Mehmet is on it say that, to play professional Women's golf you have to have cash behind you..
If you're having to work when you should be practicing/training then the struggle is harder.
I'm sure it's the same in most sports .
And the pressure to maintain that level makes it harder still..