You are too slow!

oleinone

Visit site
A younger member has taken to rocking up and turning our regular weekly two ball into a three. Usually no problem but his lack of pace adds nearly an hour to the round. He's never ready to play, hits the ball a long way but often into the cabbage.Persists in searching when no prospect of success. Some daft habits like waiting until it's his turn to drive before putting on his glove, scrutinising every shot/putt as though the green jacket is at stake. The regular 1330 roll up which he joins is also grumbling. How do you break the news that he needs to speed up?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
A younger member has taken to rocking up and turning our regular weekly two ball into a three. Usually no problem but his lack of pace adds nearly an hour to the round. He's never ready to play, hits the ball a long way but often into the cabbage.Persists in searching when no prospect of success. Some daft habits like waiting until it's his turn to drive before putting on his glove, scrutinising every shot/putt as though the green jacket is at stake. The regular 1330 roll up which he joins is also grumbling. How do you break the news that he needs to speed up?

"Hi mate, can I have a word?"

"yes"

"I understand you may be new to golf/ this club, but a few people are talking and I just wanted to pull you to one side and say that you need to speed up your play (examples if you so wish)"

"Oh right, no one else has mentioned it?"

"Well, better it come from me than the resident hot head!"

And scene

But seriously, just a polite word in the initial sense cant harm anything or anyones feelings - the guy needs to know!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree with Bdill93. Tact is the best way to approach these things first off and just make sure you keep it friendly and try to educate him properly.

If he fails to listen, maybe resort to a chipper inserted into his ........ :LOL::LOL:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m not the most outspoken person in the world and I’ve had this a couple of times. The way I’ve broached it is to look at my watch and say something like ‘jeez, took us 2 hours for the front 9, we need to get a wriggle on’. Probably the wimp’s way of doing it but it made the point. I’ve also said it post round as well ‘4 hours for a social round is a bit mad’.

Finally, another tactic I’ve adopted recently is to just carry on without them. Chap that’s joined us a couple of times keeps talking even when we’ve reached my ball, to the point that I’ve had to just get on with it! I also just try to walk ahead/away from him to avoid getting into a deep conversation. He seems to have got the message now.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Looks like a case for the typical golfer approach.

Stand with your hands on your hips whilst waiting for him. Sigh lots when he’s taking time to get ready. Don’t help him look for his ball. And whatever you do, don’t mention it to him. However, ensure that everyone talks about him behind his back.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you start to hold the course up mention how you need to speed up. If you should get to the 10th by a certain time mention you're 25 minutes later than it should take. Leave him to look for his lost balls. Mention no honour on the tee etc.

Failing that just tell him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me it's probably a jokey "get a move on mate we haven't got all day!" during the round when he's faffing about. Couple of those and if he doesn't get the message, probably mention it during the post-round beers. "Your problem is you need to speed up a bit!" And so on.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best I ever heard was
“ your a great golfer, and a nice lad but your that slow it’s like going round Tesco with the wife. Please don’t put your name down with me anymore”
He was a +2 capper and the slowest player I have ever played with.
He didn’t change at all and held the field up every week.
He had skin like a rhino . You just could not insult him

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
"John - a quick word - I understand your need to focus on your pre-shot routine and process - and that's great and good to have - but that shouldn't be to the exclusion of ready golf - you need to get ready to start your pre-shot routine a bit quicker than you currently do as some will find your overall pace of play just a bit on the slow side. Just saying"

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
When his 3 minutes search time are up, tell him to leave it and walk on

It’s education, make sure he is ready to play when it’s his turn, he’s club selection can happen while other people are playing etc
?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
When his 3 minutes search time are up, tell him to leave it and walk on

It’s education, make sure he is ready to play when it’s his turn, he’s club selection can happen while other people are playing etc
?
This for one thing, and set your audible timer on your phone, make sure he hear's the beeping when time is up, and get him to move on.

The thing with the glove does my tits in, we have a player at ours who does the same, put your bloody glove on when you've finished putting (indeed why even take it off you posing twonk)

Last edited: