Myths, etiquette and other assorted "fun".

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Played a match yesterday, 4BBB, when my partner pulls his tee shot left into the trees on the par 3 4th hole.

He announces he won't bother looking for it because I was on the green. One of our opponents is in the trees searching for his own ball and finds my partners' within the five minutes. We're in no hurry so my partner says he'll play it out when their other player announces, "He can't now, he declared it lost."

Sigh. So I briefly explained that he could and why. So that's fine, they accept it.

So my partner goes in and moves a still very much growing, attached branch away from his ball before scuffing his shot badly anyway. He picks up and I tell him (loudly so they could hear I was being fair) that he had incurred a penalty anyway for moving the branch. He thought it didn't matter as long as he didn't break the branch. Lesson learned.

One of my opponents then comments saying he knew this rule and that if you so much as knock a leaf off a branch near your ball, it's a penalty. SIGH AGAIN. I explained to all three of them that this isn't necessarily the case. I'm not convinced any of them accepted it but after three rules issues in a matter of minutes I moved on...

So we finish that hole and tee off on the 5th. One of their shots leaks into the rough on the right. When we search for it, his partner finds it and leaves his glove lying directly on top of the ball to mark it. Dangerous ground I thought but I didn't see it move so I kept quiet.

Then, just as the shot from the rough was played, his partner hit his from the fairway at the exact same time so they had two balls going into the green simultaneously. I wasn't sure what the ruling, if any, was in this case so again I didn't say anything.

Fast forward two holes, and we've just won two in a row and one of their players looks rattled and isn't playing well. He pulls his tee shot wildly left into the forest. He turns and glares at us and launches into a tirade about how we talked through his swing and he'd just noticed we'd been doing it more and more.

We hadn't. We were speaking quietly whilst he was putting his ball on the tee but once he was addressing the ball (which he did for a long time, he was slow from the point he stepped in until he pulled the trigger) we said nothing until his shot was away. We both offered an apology but this was done out of politeness as we knew we hadn't been speaking at all when he was accusing us of doing so. His partner made a joke of it, trying to defuse it, but he kept chuntering on about etiquette as we walked off the tee.

We got beaten easily in the end, they were the home team and they managed the course much better but that run of four holes will stick in my mind for ages!

G

guest100718

Played a match yesterday, 4BBB, when my partner pulls his tee shot left into the trees on the par 3 4th hole.

He announces he won't bother looking for it because I was on the green. One of our opponents is in the trees searching for his own ball and finds my partners' within the five minutes. We're in no hurry so my partner says he'll play it out when their other player announces, "He can't now, he declared it lost."

Sigh. So I briefly explained that he could and why. So that's fine, they accept it.

So my partner goes in and moves a still very much growing, attached branch away from his ball before scuffing his shot badly anyway. He picks up and I tell him (loudly so they could hear I was being fair) that he had incurred a penalty anyway for moving the branch. He thought it didn't matter as long as he didn't break the branch. Lesson learned.

One of my opponents then comments saying he knew this rule and that if you so much as knock a leaf off a branch near your ball, it's a penalty. SIGH AGAIN. I explained to all three of them that this isn't necessarily the case. I'm not convinced any of them accepted it but after three rules issues in a matter of minutes I moved on...

So we finish that hole and tee off on the 5th. One of their shots leaks into the rough on the right. When we search for it, his partner finds it and leaves his glove lying directly on top of the ball to mark it. Dangerous ground I thought but I didn't see it move so I kept quiet.

Then, just as the shot from the rough was played, his partner hit his from the fairway at the exact same time so they had two balls going into the green simultaneously. I wasn't sure what the ruling, if any, was in this case so again I didn't say anything.

Fast forward two holes, and we've just won two in a row and one of their players looks rattled and isn't playing well. He pulls his tee shot wildly left into the forest. He turns and glares at us and launches into a tirade about how we talked through his swing and he'd just noticed we'd been doing it more and more.

We hadn't. We were speaking quietly whilst he was putting his ball on the tee but once he was addressing the ball (which he did for a long time, he was slow from the point he stepped in until he pulled the trigger) we said nothing until his shot was away. We both offered an apology but this was done out of politeness as we knew we hadn't been speaking at all when he was accusing us of doing so. His partner made a joke of it, trying to defuse it, but he kept chuntering on about etiquette as we walked off the tee.

We got beaten easily in the end, they were the home team and they managed the course much better but that run of four holes will stick in my mind for ages!

I find this very annoying too.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf is a social game. As long as the chatter stops when you start to address the ball there is nothing wrong with a quiet conversation until that point.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No problem there.